Having trouble with Port Triggering setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-15 23:43:41 - last edited 2023-08-16 15:41:47
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220714 rel.75573(4555)

Hi.  I can't get FTP set up via my Archer A7 V5.  I am trying to set up access to a shared folder on a Synology DS220j NAS drive.  I have the shared folder set up on the DS220j with a login created specifically only for access to that folder.  FTP and SFTP are enabled on the NAS drive using default ports of 21 and 22.  I have a current NoIP DNS account which is being resolved to my IP address correctly.

On the Archer A7 I am trying to set up Port Triggering, there is no Port Forwarding option, based on a specific external port number say 12021.  I have added a PT rule to the list with Application FTP;  Triggering Port 21;  Triggering Protocol ALL;  External Port 12021;  External Protocol ALL and it is Enabled.

I'm using Filezilla FTP client which has always been pretty straightforward for me in the past.  I am missing something though as the connection is refused every time I try.  Error message is "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server"".

Can anyone point me at the error I am obviously making somewhere?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Having trouble with Port Triggering setup-Solution
2023-08-16 03:49:28 - last edited 2023-08-16 15:41:47

@Bordonbert 

Hi, you are trying to open the FTP and SFTP ports for the NAS so that you could access the related folders remotely, right?

If so, please use Virtual Servers under NAT Forwarding to open those ports. Here is the instruction:

Port forwarding: how to set up virtual server on TP-Link wireless router?

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Having trouble with Port Triggering setup-Solution
2023-08-16 03:49:28 - last edited 2023-08-16 15:41:47

@Bordonbert 

Hi, you are trying to open the FTP and SFTP ports for the NAS so that you could access the related folders remotely, right?

If so, please use Virtual Servers under NAT Forwarding to open those ports. Here is the instruction:

Port forwarding: how to set up virtual server on TP-Link wireless router?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Having trouble with Port Triggering setup
2023-08-16 15:41:43

@Bordonbert Thanks Sunshine.  That's really a big help.  I followed your instructions and eventually got some sort of responses which I recognised as close and could diagnose what was going wrong where.  However, I still couldn't get a connection to stick.  The problem eventually became clear.  It was on my Synology DS220j NAS.  All my settings and permissions were correct but the drives were churning.  It's tucked away so I didn't see it immediately.  When I dug about I found the AV software was stuck in an update loop and had been for some while, about a week as far as I can tell.  The drives were constantly churning and slowing everything down I suspect to the point of timeout.  Even accessing the settings was increadibly catatonically painfully slow.  This seems to be a documented problem with Antivirus Essential from a few years ago.  (Still no fix in place!  Hmmmm!)  Stopped that and the whole thing kicked into life.  Your instructions were the icing on the cake.  Many thanks for your advice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 303

Replies: 2

Related Articles