Wifi drops after two minutes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 14:51:42 - last edited 2023-08-28 03:45:20
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.7.1 rel 74023

Deco M5 has been working fine for years now. 

Suddenly wifi stopped yesterday. 

Rebooting router and main disk only brings back working internet for two minutes. Then the main disk goes from fixed  green to flashing yellow again, no internet. (Satellite disks have been removed to ensure not part of the problem.)

Have been able to update the firmware during one of those two minutes of internet. Problem remains.

New network had same problem: only 2 minutes of internet, then reboot required.

When the wifi is down (flashing yellow) the laptop can be connected to the same Ethernet cable as used for Deco M5, Internet is available, so provider is not the issue.

How to solve?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wifi drops after two minutes-Solution
2023-08-27 08:35:20 - last edited 2023-08-28 03:45:20

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alex, thanks for your suggestions, I was able to solve the issue.

Turned out that the power supply of the main Deco was triggering the behavior.

You AP suggestion enabled me to actually confirm firmware was up to date.
Switching back to 'WiFi Router' offered me three independent and working WiFi networks.
Until I put the original main Deco back in the original location and connected to the original power source.

It went to blinking yellow after two minutes.

I switched power sources with one of the satellites and from that moment Main was good and the satellite was faulty.

All Deco now have up to date firmware, original network working.

Just need to buy a new power source to replace the faulty one.

Thanks again.

Gr,  Rob

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Wifi drops after two minutes
2023-08-26 15:28:19

@NLSOER 

It is possible your Main Deco M5 experiences hardware failure of some sort. To verify that, promote one of Satellite Deco to Main Deco. See Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Options
2023-08-26 18:36:51

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

I used one of the satellites as main and it had the same behaviour: WiFi active for two minutes and then flashing yellow, no more WiFi. Unable to update firmware for this one, two minutes very short to achieve that.

Options
2023-08-26 20:38:15 - last edited 2023-08-26 20:40:54

@NLSOER 

Your test eliminated hardware issues with the single Deco unit. Unless you have two Deco units both having hardware issue simultaneously - which is quite unlikely. Also, blinking Yellow LED is not specifically documented for M5, only solid Yellow for that Deco model: What do the different LED colors meaning of Deco?

I can recommend two more things:

1. If both your Deco connect to the same extension power bar, plug them directly to wall electric sockets instead;

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, 2 minutes should be enough to do that: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

With Deco mesh running in AP mode, connect all Deco units, Main and Satellites, directly to Ethernet ports of router. You should have four ports for that, that should be enough - Main Deco plus up to three Satellites. If you have more than three Satellites, keep the rest powered off. 

Also, don't use same extension power bar for all of them. See if multiple or all Deco switch to flashing Yellow (or to solid Red) and share results here.

If they all go flashing Yellow in that setup, the rest of troubleshooting is beyond my knowledge as advanced user of Deco mesh. You'll have to wait for TP-Link Support to check this topic and engage. They usually don't check that forum on weekends.

Options
Re:Wifi drops after two minutes-Solution
2023-08-27 08:35:20 - last edited 2023-08-28 03:45:20

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alex, thanks for your suggestions, I was able to solve the issue.

Turned out that the power supply of the main Deco was triggering the behavior.

You AP suggestion enabled me to actually confirm firmware was up to date.
Switching back to 'WiFi Router' offered me three independent and working WiFi networks.
Until I put the original main Deco back in the original location and connected to the original power source.

It went to blinking yellow after two minutes.

I switched power sources with one of the satellites and from that moment Main was good and the satellite was faulty.

All Deco now have up to date firmware, original network working.

Just need to buy a new power source to replace the faulty one.

Thanks again.

Gr,  Rob

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 368

Replies: 4

Related Articles