how to change root node

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

how to change root node

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
how to change root node
how to change root node
2023-10-21 14:18:28 - last edited 2023-10-23 08:54:58
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.1

I think my root node is in the wrong position according to my topology map. I can't figure out how to fix this. I have looked through all Q&A in forums. Or does this matter? I have a total 7-EAP225 one is indoor. Using software controller, the first on the list is wired is root. any help? Thanks. 

2317daf0ec0f4dc29211263e8b6b4ee1

958224cd3f57452387bd6bc67ef746e5

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:how to change root node-Solution
2023-10-22 17:44:32 - last edited 2023-10-23 08:54:58

@Lectron8 

Hi, your diagram is correct, go ahead on click the 'Turn Labels On' button in the top left of the topology map.  Dotted lines are wireless mesh connections, solid are ethernet.

You can probably further prove it out to yourself by importing a site plan image, and then placing each labeled AP where it is located on site.  Your mesh mappings from the topology will start to make a lot more sense.

You can greatly improve the performance of the mesh in a couple of ways, by adding one or more APs in a strategic manner.

1. add another wired node on a different 5Ghz channel

2. back to back wireless nodes in the field with an ethernet cable between them, and set a different channel on the downstream side.

You should also validate who is connecting to who, and try to adhere to a 3-hop/3-neighbour rule (ie no more than 3 wireless links from a root node, no more than 3 connections via any AP (including root).  This isn't a TP link thing, but I had a decade of designing meshed networks and this rule has always worked for me.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:how to change root node-Solution
2023-10-22 17:44:32 - last edited 2023-10-23 08:54:58

@Lectron8 

Hi, your diagram is correct, go ahead on click the 'Turn Labels On' button in the top left of the topology map.  Dotted lines are wireless mesh connections, solid are ethernet.

You can probably further prove it out to yourself by importing a site plan image, and then placing each labeled AP where it is located on site.  Your mesh mappings from the topology will start to make a lot more sense.

You can greatly improve the performance of the mesh in a couple of ways, by adding one or more APs in a strategic manner.

1. add another wired node on a different 5Ghz channel

2. back to back wireless nodes in the field with an ethernet cable between them, and set a different channel on the downstream side.

You should also validate who is connecting to who, and try to adhere to a 3-hop/3-neighbour rule (ie no more than 3 wireless links from a root node, no more than 3 connections via any AP (including root).  This isn't a TP link thing, but I had a decade of designing meshed networks and this rule has always worked for me.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 349

Replies: 1

Related Articles