Expiration of unused vouchers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 08:32:55 - last edited 2023-11-04 06:14:24
Tags: #Portal #Unused voucher expiration
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 6 EAP225 AP's located in 6 bars. All are connected to the same local network. They are managed by the Omada Software Controller v5.9.31 running on a local network computer which stays on 24/7. I setup hotspot portals using vouchers for authentication. I create the vouchers for 90 minutes of network access. The problem I have is that there is no way to specify an expiration date/time for UNUSED vouchers. So for example I print 100 vouchers for each bar every week, but after a week each bar has only given out 75 vouchers to customers. The staff are saving the remaining 25 unused vouchers (or giving/selling them to their friends) then using them to connect to the network and get free Internet. The available bandwidth to authorized paying customers is decreased because of the unauthorized clients.

In the past I used AP's from a different manufacturer with a captive portal and voucher system. The software enabled specifying a specific length of time before an unused voucher would expire and no longer work. So if I printed 100 vouchers for each bar per week, I could specify that the vouchers were good for 7 days from the date and time they were printed. Then when I distributed new vouchers a week later, any unused vouchers from the previous week would expire and no longer work.

I can't find any information anywhere on why this is not an option with the Omada software. In some cases it appears as though unused vouchers have expired since they don't work, but it is unclear whether that is actually the case. If the unused vouchers that don't work have in fact expired, there is no information as to how long after the vouchers are created that that occurs.

I am located in a country and location where the vouchers can and are sold. If the unused vouchers are being saved or hoarded away each week then given away or sold, the purpose of using vouchers to prevent unauthorized clients connecting is totally defeated. I might as well go back to having a Wi-Fi password that I have to change all the time.

Any info regarding this is much appreciated. If a future upgrade could implement an unused voucher expiration date option that would be great also.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Expiration of unused vouchers-Solution
2023-11-03 12:08:46 - last edited 2023-11-04 06:14:34

@Turbonet 

You have to upgrade to controller-version 5.12.9

Then:

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Expiration of unused vouchers-Solution
2023-11-03 12:08:46 - last edited 2023-11-04 06:14:34

@Turbonet 

You have to upgrade to controller-version 5.12.9

Then:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Expiration of unused vouchers
2023-11-04 06:14:14 - last edited 2023-11-04 06:14:40

@Turbonet 

Excellent thanks very much for the solution. I'm really happy that this feature was recognized as being needed and then added. Thanks again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 2

Tags

Portal
Unused voucher expiration
Related Articles