Questions about upcoming IDS/IPS features and availability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-04 01:28:29
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Any Christmas Gifts with IDS/IPS coming to the firmware soon on the ER8411? Pretty please! :) - The DCMA has found copyright infringement with some of my tenants downloading "The Marvels" and even though they have bad taste this is illegal. Since Omada promises this is good for "Hotel/Hospitality' we really need to be able to block things like torrents. I have already employed DPI and chosen all the Peer to Peer applications but I don't think this is actually going to block torrents themselves, just the sites that you might visit to download clients which is not an effective way to block those.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Questions about upcoming IDS/IPS features and availability
2023-12-04 08:04:40

Hi @OrangeStreet 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

OrangeStreet wrote

Any Christmas Gifts with IDS/IPS coming to the firmware soon on the ER8411? Pretty please! :) - The DCMA has found copyright infringement with some of my tenants downloading "The Marvels" and even though they have bad taste this is illegal. Since Omada promises this is good for "Hotel/Hospitality' we really need to be able to block things like torrents. I have already employed DPI and chosen all the Peer to Peer applications but I don't think this is actually going to block torrents themselves, just the sites that you might visit to download clients which is not an effective way to block those.

How do you verify it? Have you tried it yourself? 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-04 15:09:07

@OrangeStreet 

When IPS drops on the 8411, I'm buying  a few!  Can't wait!  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-04 15:31:08 - last edited 2023-12-04 15:42:17

I live an hour away and I don't have any torrent applications installed on the remote office PC to test an illegal download (which I will not do as that violates copyright law). What I need is the answer to the question. Does using DPI block the actual torrents themselves (which will go to random IPs and not domain names) or is the application control just designed to block access to the websites in the application list? Tenants can get torrent clients in a number of ways so just blocking say "BitTorrent" website won't stop them from actually torrenting illegal files, you have to stop the torrent stream itself (which might be where IDS/IPS will come in to play).

Thanks!

Options
2023-12-04 21:43:43

@OrangeStreet 

Plenty of legal sites that provides torrent protocol as a means of download that you can use for testing purposes.

Options
2023-12-04 22:19:18 - last edited 2023-12-04 22:19:57

@Haga_Nova 

My question does not require testing. TP Link should know how their product works. Here is the question:

Does using DPI block the actual torrents themselves when you select a peer to peer application? (Torrents go to random IPs and not domain names) or is the application control just designed to block access to the websites in the application list?

Options
2023-12-05 08:05:17

Hi @OrangeStreet 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

OrangeStreet wrote

@Haga_Nova 

My question does not require testing. TP Link should know how their product works. Here is the question:

Does using DPI block the actual torrents themselves when you select a peer to peer application? (Torrents go to random IPs and not domain names) or is the application control just designed to block access to the websites in the application list?

1. Yes.

2. Website is nothing like the session created by P2P downloading.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 514

Replies: 6

Related Articles