ER605 v2.0 Time not saving

2023-12-22 04:11:56 - last edited 2024-01-16 09:59:23
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869

Hi,

I've recently boought a ER605(UN) V2.0 and upgraded to the latest FW (Download for ER605 | TP-Link Australia).

Everytime I reboot my ER605, the time defaults to System Time: 01/01/2018 00:00:00 Monday

I have tried System Tools --> Time Settings and set to manual, click sync to PC and save. Can see confirmation of save but when I reboot the device, it goes back to 01/01/2018 00:00:00 Monday.

I suspect this is also the reason I cant setup openVPN as the certificate time is not accurate.

Can someone please help?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 v2.0 Time not saving-Solution
2024-01-09 08:52:33 - last edited 2024-01-16 09:59:23

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

zinzinzinzin wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

It does not keep the time when it is off power. When you reboot it, it'll flush the time and will sync with the Internet if you have Internet or manually sync with the computer.

Hi @Clive_A ,

Thank you for your reply. 

Is it possible to get the developers to add it in future firmware for it to at least keep the time saved before power reboot?

I think I understand why you would want to check the time especially if there are no batteries to save this data.

I thought I could use it as a standalone (no internet) but I'll have to either get network connectivity to it or get a standalone NTP server.

Thank you again

If you have a controller, the controller will sync the date with the router. But if you don't, basically, the time cannot sync correctly after a reboot. It is the same on the router, switch, and EAP. They don't keep the time after the power off.

The router has its own built-in NTP server and will sync when it boots up, but in a pure local network, it would not work.

Or let the controller sync with your own local NTP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:ER605 v2.0 Time not saving
2023-12-25 06:08:42

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

Have you tried to reset it and config time then save and reboot it and check it again? Will it stay synced?

When you do the test, use incognito/private mode of your browser.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-27 01:14:59

@Clive_A thank you for the reply.

I have reset the device and tried saving/configuring the time prior to posting here but not in incognito/private mode.

I will do that now and post the results

Options
2023-12-27 01:30:20 - last edited 2023-12-27 01:32:55

@Clive_A 

1. reset device (in incognito/private mode)
  2. save time

3. Rebooted

4. time failed

---------------------------------------------------------

This is is the issue I have been having.

If i set up NTP, it works with no problem but where I am going to put the ER605 (private network, non internet facing), this will not work.

Options
2023-12-27 01:44:39

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

@Clive_A 

1. reset device (in incognito/private mode)
  2. save time

3. Rebooted

4. time failed

This is is the issue I have been having.

If i set up NTP, it works with no problem but where I am going to put the ER605 (private network, non internet facing), this will not work.

Can you manually set up the NTP server and save and reboot it and check on the sync status?

time.google.com

pool.ntp.org

Options
2023-12-27 02:12:33

Hi @Clive_A 

I am on a private network at work and cannot test without authentication/approval.

However I have setup a temporary NTP server on my PC and once saved for NTP, seems to work. But saving manually not working.

1. When I try to setup the NTP the first time, it saves but doesnt take the IP address. IT saves the timezone though
  2. had to put the IP one more time
  3. Logs below
  4. I have attached the logs as well
  5. rebooting
  6. Time saved
  7. Logs
  8. time settings
File:
system_log-2023-12-27.zipDownload
Options
2023-12-27 02:31:14

Hi  @Clive_A , I have also tried to change it to Manually but upon reboot, it goes back to NTP

Options
2023-12-27 03:23:07

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

Hi  @Clive_A , I have also tried to change it to Manually but upon reboot, it goes back to NTP

It is not clear to me. Can you be specific?

So, you have two issues:

1. Even if you have configured NTP, put up with an NTP server or set a time manually. Reboot, it clears the time sync and reverts to 20180101.

2. NTP cannot resolve the built-in time server?

Do I understand you correctly?

Options
2023-12-27 03:30:31

Hi @Clive_A ,

My comments in red.

Clive_A wrote

Hi @zinzinzinzin 

zinzinzinzin wrote

It is not clear to me. Can you be specific?

So, you have two issues:

1. Even if you have configured NTP, put up with an NTP server or set a time manually. Reboot, it clears the time sync and reverts to 20180101. NTP works but it looks like you cannot do two action at a time, that is, if I try to set the timezone and NTP at the same time, only the timezone will set and I have to then save the IP for the NTP server.

2. NTP cannot resolve the built-in time server? NTP can be resolved. Not sure what you mean by "built-in time server". the NTP I am pointing to is my computer acting as a server.

Do I understand you correctly?

I will try one more thing and post the results - what I will try will be as per the below.

1. reset ER605
  2. Save NTP IP address only (not timezone).
  3. Reboot and confirm results

Options
2023-12-27 04:13:09 - last edited 2023-12-27 04:15:54

Hi  @Clive_A ,

results below

1. RESET ER605

i put the IP address and save (without time zone), looks like it saves it
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Rebooting
    Screenshot below once rebooted

it kept the IP address upon reboot

Now I will try to change it to manual, save and reboot

1. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. no ackowledgement in logs

3. rebooting
  4. Time changed to NTP after reboot

5. Logs
Options
2023-12-29 07:05:39

Hi @Clive_A - just checking if you have found anything yet?

p.s. happy new year in advance.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 890

Replies: 19

Related Articles