NAT/Smart Home Device Support

2024-02-26 20:26:51 - last edited 2024-02-27 02:19:31
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a ER7206 router at the core of my Omada & smart home setup. I've experienced a number of issues, including very long latency for devices to respond, and random devices disconnecting and needing to be reconfigured to the Wifi. WiFi signal is strong throughout, I have 12 ESP's spread out inside and out to blanket everything with 50-60 dbi signal strength. I've researced various Tuya/Smart Life articles that say that the router may not be able to manage this many active devices (there are about 100 smart devices). So, hence my questions;

1) How many devices can the ER7206 provide NAT services for? I know the recomended device count per eap is supposed to max out at ~25... which would mean we should be able to handle ~300 without issues on the Wifi side if evenly distributed. But what about the router?

2) Are there published specs (I couldn't find anything) that talk about device counts? What about the ER8411 and ER7212 device count support?

3) Could there be something else that is causing the massive latency when controlling the devices on WiFi vs Cellular? I've enabled MDNS, and Cellular control is almost instant, whereas WiFi could take 10-20 seconds, or not work at all, even when the internet speed checks at >100 Mbps.

Any suggestions on where to investigate, what the recomended device counts are for the various router models are would be appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:NAT/Smart Home Device Support-Solution
2024-02-27 01:50:41 - last edited 2024-02-27 02:19:31

Hi @dononeil 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. ER7206 is designed for 200-300 devices. If you have IoT, it would be more.

Disclaimer, this is not guaranteeing you that it will work 100% in your network environment. Network environment has many variables. We just test with a regular device browsing the Internet concurrently or with low bandwidth tasks.

DHCP is 1024.

2. No. ER7212PC is weaker than most or I'd say ANY dedicated Omada router models. 8411, I recall it would be 1,000. I would not recommend ER7212PC to anyone who requires a decent performance. That model was specialized for certain groups of users like small stores.

3. I am not sure about your description of this. Omada Controller sync or display is not second-degrade. Sometimes, it would take a longer time to see their data synced.

So my question is how do you determine it is a problem with the router latency instead of the delay between the syncing?

For the details, contact the technical support.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:NAT/Smart Home Device Support-Solution
2024-02-27 01:50:41 - last edited 2024-02-27 02:19:31

Hi @dononeil 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. ER7206 is designed for 200-300 devices. If you have IoT, it would be more.

Disclaimer, this is not guaranteeing you that it will work 100% in your network environment. Network environment has many variables. We just test with a regular device browsing the Internet concurrently or with low bandwidth tasks.

DHCP is 1024.

2. No. ER7212PC is weaker than most or I'd say ANY dedicated Omada router models. 8411, I recall it would be 1,000. I would not recommend ER7212PC to anyone who requires a decent performance. That model was specialized for certain groups of users like small stores.

3. I am not sure about your description of this. Omada Controller sync or display is not second-degrade. Sometimes, it would take a longer time to see their data synced.

So my question is how do you determine it is a problem with the router latency instead of the delay between the syncing?

For the details, contact the technical support.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:NAT/Smart Home Device Support
2024-02-29 03:37:20

The problem is I have no way to determine if it's the router, or the controller or the wifi that's causing the delays. All I know is that control via 5g through the cloud is almost instantaneous, and control over wifi takes 5-10 seconds. We have no interference here (out in the country, closest person is 1 mile), so it's not a congestion issue.... the only thing I can think of is the commands have to go over wifi, out the router, to the cloud, and back in again, and back over wifi to happen... whereas when on 5g the wifi/router is only traversed 1 time. 

We use an OC200 controller, and a mix of EAP 610's and EAP 225's, some mesh, some wired. Doesn't seem to matter if the connection is via mesh or wire.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 145

Replies: 2

Related Articles