NAS is visible but cannot connect or access via web

2024-03-25 12:39:49 - last edited 2024-03-26 06:14:09
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

I have a 2-pack Deco X68 (AX3600). I have set the main Deco as a wireless access point. It is connected to my Netgear V7610 Telstra modem via ethernet. I connected the 2nd Deco via the app and made no changes to the 2nd Deco and just let the app do its thing. Wifi connection from both Decos to my devices appear to be fine. I have a Cisco 2960 switch that is connected to the 2nd Deco and this is connected to a Qnap NAS via the switch. When I look into the Deco app to see what client is connected, I can see that both the switch and the NAS are connected (2 clients) to the 2nd deco. However, when I try to access the NAS via their web IP address, Safari cannot open the page as if the address does not exist. QFinder Pro cannot find it either. I have switch off/on the NAS but the problem persist. Have I missed something during my installation of the 1st or/and the 2nd Deco. Any help would be great appreciated as I need to access files on my NAS with some urgency. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:NAS is visible but cannot connect or access via web -Solution
2024-03-26 03:42:17 - last edited 2024-03-26 06:14:09

@Alexandre. 

I connected the NAS to the Cisco switch and to the 2nd Deco this morning and good news, it connected without a problem. The steps I took were:

1. Power off the NAS and disconnect power cord.

2. Power off the Cisco switch, disconnect the power cord and remove all ethernet cable. Power on the switch.

3. Power off and on the 2nd Deco and wait for it to complete its boot-up cycle

4. After the Cisco switch and the Deco have completed its boot-up cycle, connect the ethernet cables from 2nd Deco to the switch and the NAS to the switch.

5. Power-on the NAS and wait for it to complete its boot-up cycle.

6. I used QFinder on my Imac to locate NAS.

7. NAS located and log in successfully.

After our discussion last night (for me in Australia) regarding the IP setting, I decided to change a setting on my Qnap NAS that may have allowed the connection from the 2nd Deco. For Qnap users only, I ticked on the 'Enable Service Binding' box which is located at "Control Panel -> Network and File Services -> Network Access". Not sure if this or the steps above have allowed me to connect, I am glad it is all working fine now. Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:NAS is visible but cannot connect or access via web
2024-03-25 13:41:43

@Thimmy 

When you are saying "I have set the main Deco as a wireless access point," do you mean you did this: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode?

Options
2024-03-25 13:44:32
Yes that is correct. The main Deco has been set as an Access point and not aa a router, which is the default mode.
Options
2024-03-25 13:47:26

@Thimmy 

You said you can see NAS in Deco app. 

Open info page for Satellite Deco to which NAS is connected, on the top of the page is IP address of Satellite Deco. What is this address?

In that Satellite Deco page, open info page for NAS attached to Satellite Deco. On the top of that page should be NAS IP address. What is this address?

Options
2024-03-25 13:50:33
The 2nd Deco that is connected to the NAS is 192.168.15.17. The NAS address is 192.168.15.18
Options
2024-03-25 13:54:22 - last edited 2024-03-25 13:54:38

@Thimmy 

Usual suspects are not there, IPs seem to be OK.

Can you bring Satellite Deco to NAS (or NAS to Satellite Deco) and connect them to each other by Ethernet cable? That would bypass the switch, which is the next suspect.

----------

And for the clarity, Deco mesh in Access Point mode does not have any settings which could impair connectivity. With two exceptions:

1. If you managed to add NAS to Deco blacklist;

2. If device you are trying to connect NAS from is on Deco Guest WiFi Network (not on Main).

Also, if you have set static IP address on NAS itself, that might be an issue.

Options
2024-03-25 13:59:24 - last edited 2024-03-25 14:01:57

I have also connected the 2nd Deco directly to the NAS just now without the switch and again, it sees the NAS but I cannot connect or load the page. Yes the NAS IP address is static. I have been looking through the net and especially Qnap site but cannot find out how I can change this so that the NAS picks up the IP address that the Deco might hand out.

Options
2024-03-25 14:05:31

Thimmy wrote

I have also connected the 2nd Deco directly to the NAS just now without the switch and again, it sees the NAS but I cannot connect or load the page. Yes the NAS IP address is static. I have been looking through the net and especially Qnap site but cannot find out how I can change this so that the NAS picks up the IP address that the Deco might hand out.

@Thimmy 

Go to "Control Panel" > "System Settings" > "Network" to configure the NAS network settings.

Under "Network Parameters" on the TCP/IP Property page, configure the following settings:

Obtain the IP address settings automatically via DHCP: If the network supports DHCP, select this option and the NAS will automatically obtain the IP address and network settings.
Options
2024-03-25 14:07:48 - last edited 2024-03-25 14:15:00

@Thimmy 

As a last resort, if nothing helps and there is urgency, wire NAS directly to Netgear V7610 Telstra modem. According to specs I saw on the Internet, V7610 has four Ethernet ports.

Your NAS should be accessible through this link directly to modem. Then, access NAS and configure NAS to get IP address dynamically, via DHCP. Then, take it back to where its regular place is.

Options
2024-03-25 14:22:38
Yes I think connecting directly to my Netgear router is currently the only solution and I just did that and I am now connected. The NAS setting for the IP address says 'Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP' so the setting for the IP address is not static. Thanks for all your suggestion thus far.
Options
2024-03-25 14:27:48

Thimmy wrote

Yes I think connecting directly to my Netgear router is currently the only solution and I just did that and I am now connected. The NAS setting for the IP address says 'Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP' so the setting for the IP address is not static. 

@Thimmy 

I know that's not what you wanted originally, and I can't explain why NAS through Deco mesh wasn't accessible with dynamic IP. Still, it always makes sense to wire NAS directly to ISP Router. This is how mine Synology NAS is wired. I can shutdown WiFi mesh and most of my home network, but my NAS will stay online with that setup.

As long as it is OK for you to have it that way, you should. 

------------------

I also have Uninterruptible Power Supply that powers both NAS and ISP Router. If you treasure data on your NAS, consider getting one. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 14

Related Articles