ER605 - USB Modem - Static IP configuration

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am using this router with a fail-over wan configured, using a 4G usb modem.

Everything works fine and the only problem I am facing is the lack of static ipv4 configuration for usb wan.

I want to be able to configure a static ip address because I am using port forwarding on the modem and I don't want the IP to change every so often. I cannot create mac address reservations on this modem either.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to configure a static ip address on the usb modem wan interface?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605 - USB Modem - Static IP configuration-Solution

@Banaipe 

Ok, bit of a head scratcher, but would it be fair to say you want users connected to the wifi of the ZTE device to be able to reach servers connected to the wired side of the ER605 when the ZTE is connected to the USB port of the ER605?  

If so, there's really no good way to do this as the ZTE manual quite clearly states that the USB interface must be configured for DHCP.  You can try to statically configure the IP on the ER605 WAN port with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, but you run the risk the ZTE will randomly assign that IP to another user.  IF, and it's a big IF, that works, then you can set a DHCP reservation on the LAN side of the ER605 for your server AND then set the DMZ IP of the ER605 to be the IP you assigned to the server.  That way, wifi users on the ZTE should be able to reach the LAN connected server at the IP you statically configured on the ER605's USB modem port.

Personally, I would look to buy a slightly more capable cellular device for this application, or buy an AP for the LAN Side of the ER605 and ignore the wifi from the ZTE altogether.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options

@Banaipe 

Do keep in mind you'll never be able to port forward across the ZTE device regardless of what router you use.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:ER605 - USB Modem - Static IP configuration
a week ago

@Banaipe 

Talk to your cellular provider...this is something they do, not you.  Usually there is a significant monthly charge if it's even possible on your plan.

In fact, you typically never get a public IP on a cellular plan...unless it is some kind of fixed wireless/wireless home internet type deal.

Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 This modem actually works behind NAT so that means I would get a private ip instead of a public one. And in this scenario it would make sense to set a static ip address.

Options
a week ago

@Banaipe 

Still not following.

Your carrier assigns your USB modem a private IP via DHCP.  There is no way to change the dynamic AND private nature of this IP without contacting your carrier and likely changing at least your plan if not your carrier as a result.   With a private IP, it is NOT reachable via the internet.  The only things that work will be where a vendor provides a reflector, so say an IOT device can register with the vendor server, and you can access the vendor's server to control your device (this is how TPlink Cloud access works for controllers).  However, you'll never be able to run say a webserver from your home system with a private NAT'd IP.

Options

I think I didn't explain it well, I have a USB router (it's not just a modem.. sorry for that) that allows me to connect to a computer and it has actually two interfaces: One interface is the local private NDIS network and it's manageable by me. The other one is the interface of the carrier. I have already connected this equipment to my ER605 V2 and it works well but I was hoping I could set a static IP for the local private network I manage. Sorry if wasn't clear about the equipment I have.

EDIT: The router in question is a ZTE MF920U

Options

@Banaipe 

Ok, bit of a head scratcher, but would it be fair to say you want users connected to the wifi of the ZTE device to be able to reach servers connected to the wired side of the ER605 when the ZTE is connected to the USB port of the ER605?  

If so, there's really no good way to do this as the ZTE manual quite clearly states that the USB interface must be configured for DHCP.  You can try to statically configure the IP on the ER605 WAN port with 192.168.0.1 as the gateway, but you run the risk the ZTE will randomly assign that IP to another user.  IF, and it's a big IF, that works, then you can set a DHCP reservation on the LAN side of the ER605 for your server AND then set the DMZ IP of the ER605 to be the IP you assigned to the server.  That way, wifi users on the ZTE should be able to reach the LAN connected server at the IP you statically configured on the ER605's USB modem port.

Personally, I would look to buy a slightly more capable cellular device for this application, or buy an AP for the LAN Side of the ER605 and ignore the wifi from the ZTE altogether.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 I would only use this device to assure internet connection in case the primary WAN fails. I wouldn't use WiFi at all.. would only use this router as a secondary WAN.

Having a static IP would be beneficial because I could then open ports and map those to a pre defined ER605 IP address.

But I think I have settled and I will use pfSense to create a fail over WAN since I just found out I cannot use this usb WAN as a VPN/IPsec server and that was my main goal here.

Options

@Banaipe 

Do keep in mind you'll never be able to port forward across the ZTE device regardless of what router you use.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@d0ugmac1 We can with our plan actually, and I've tested opening a port to our internal server and it all works and it's accessible from the Internet. But yeah since we cannot use this port as a means for IPsec it don't matter anyways. Thanks for your time and patience!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 293

Replies: 8

Related Articles