SG3210X-M2 just magically stopped working this morning

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230725 Rel.71176

I have the SG3210X-M2 switch. Not the SG3210XHP-M2 switch, but the SG3210X-M2 switch with no PoE ports.

One issue I've faced is that any device with an unknown/new MAC address connected to any of the switch's ports won't work. What I've had to do is disable and re-enable the port the unknown/new MAC address is connected to, or reboot the switch. The switch sees the new MAC address, but won't pass traffic to it unless I disable and re-enable the port or reboot the switch.

Then this morning at 5AM while I was sleeping, the switch magically stopped passing traffic to all of the devices connected to the ethernet ports. My access point and several computers connected directly to the switch stopped working. Oddly enough, the only ports still working were the SFP ports.

I have one SFP port connected to a Unifi Dream Machine Pro router using a DAC cable, and the other SFP port is connected directly to a Mac Mini using an SFP+ transceiver. The Mac Mini works just fine and I confirmed I can get internet access.

The 8 ethernet ports were lit up and showing link activity, but the devices connected to it were unable to connect to the network or internet. I had to connect my wireless access point and a couple other devices directly to the Dream Machine Pro just so my devices had network connectivity again.

What gives? It seems like I've constantly had issues with this switch since day one and I've only had it for 3-4 months. I found a work around for the first issue I experienced, but this time I have nothing for this new issue.

I also just tried factory resetting the switch, but that didn't fix the issue. I'm at my wits' end.

Options
8 Reply
Re:SG3210X-M2 just magically stopped working this morning
a week ago

Hi @G0tta_be_KD 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A few questions on this.

1. Does the port LED still come up as green?

2. Reboot, it does not work?

3. All RJ45 ports are stopped except for the SFP+, just confirm what you said.

4. Do you have VLAN on the switch? What IP do you get from the devices that are connected via RJ45?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
a week ago

@Clive_A 

- Yes

- A reboot doesn't restore connectivity to the ethernet ports. I also attempting a factory reset a couple of times but the ethernet ports still fail to provide network connectivity. I noticed when I run a ping test from the computer connected to the SFP port to one of the computers connected to an ethernet port, there's no response. I get the request timeout message.

- That is correct. All RJ45 ports have stopped providing network connectivity. My router can still see the devices connected to the switch, but those device can't can't connect to the network or receive an internet connection. I disconnected a few devices from the switch and connected them directly to the router and they worked just fine, so this confirms that my devices still work. When I reconnected the devices to the switch, they failed to work.

- Yes, only the SFP+ ports are working. There's a 10Gbps connection going from the router the one SFP port on the switch, and the second SFP port is connected directly to a computer (Mac Mini). The computer connected to the SFP+ port has full network and internet connectivity, as I have it setup as a file server/media server. 

4. Do you have VLAN on the switch? What IP do you get from the devices that are connected via RJ45?

- There are no VLANs setup on my network. All of the devices receive a private IP address given by the router (192.168.10.x).

Options
a week ago

Hi @G0tta_be_KD 

G0tta_be_KD wrote

@Clive_A 

- Yes

- A reboot doesn't restore connectivity to the ethernet ports. I also attempting a factory reset a couple of times but the ethernet ports still fail to provide network connectivity. I noticed when I run a ping test from the computer connected to the SFP port to one of the computers connected to an ethernet port, there's no response. I get the request timeout message.

- That is correct. All RJ45 ports have stopped providing network connectivity. My router can still see the devices connected to the switch, but those device can't can't connect to the network or receive an internet connection. I disconnected a few devices from the switch and connected them directly to the router and they worked just fine, so this confirms that my devices still work. When I reconnected the devices to the switch, they failed to work.

- Yes, only the SFP+ ports are working. There's a 10Gbps connection going from the router the one SFP port on the switch, and the second SFP port is connected directly to a computer (Mac Mini). The computer connected to the SFP+ port has full network and internet connectivity, as I have it setup as a file server/media server. 

- There are no VLANs setup on my network. All of the devices receive a private IP address given by the router (192.168.10.x).

That'll be strange. I was considering a hardware issue but based on what you wrote just now, I plan to consider this might be a problem with the connection, setup or software-level issue.

Can you let me know the specific IP address you got from the devices(RJ45)?

Are you able to ping the gateway while they retain the private IP?

Are you able to ping the switch IP like the condition above?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Clive_A 

Can you let me know the specific IP address you got from the devices(RJ45)?

- The same IP address that was assigned to them when everything was still working. The IP addresses haven't changed.

Are you able to ping the gateway while they retain the private IP?

- No

- I've noticed that my devices will regain network connectivity, but only for a few seconds at a time and it appears to happen randomly. I was trying to get things working yesterday, and every so often my devices would regain network connectivity. It was very random though, and it wouldn't last long either. It was only for a few seconds. I had a Unifi switch connected to the TP-Link switch, so my Unifi Dream Machine Pro router would detect when the Unifi switch was connected and then disconnected again.

- Check the Dream Machine log below. The issue started happening yesterday at 4:56AM while I was asleep. The USW Flex Mini (switch) and U6-LR (access point) were directly connected to the TP-Link switch.

Are you able to ping the switch IP like the condition above?

- Yes. When I'm connected directly to the Dream Machine Pro, I can successfully ping the TP-Link switch's IP address.

Options
a week ago

I've got what seems to be the same issue this morning. After a scheduled reboot from controller at 4:30am, my sg3210x-m2 has lost connection. None if the LAN ports are functioning to get it or devices connected even though they do light up as connected and when in the console it shows the port go up when connected. 

Reboots solve nothing, factory reset using console solve nothing. Omada controller no longer sees it's online at all and I can not ping it or any devices on it. 

I don't have a SFP adapter to test. 

Frustrated as it's barely 2 months old. 

Options
a week ago

Hi @Schmuckster  @G0tta_be_KD 

Schmuckster wrote

I've got what seems to be the same issue this morning. After a scheduled reboot from controller at 4:30am, my sg3210x-m2 has lost connection. None if the LAN ports are functioning to get it or devices connected even though they do light up as connected and when in the console it shows the port go up when connected. 

Reboots solve nothing, factory reset using console solve nothing. Omada controller no longer sees it's online at all and I can not ping it or any devices on it. 

I don't have a SFP adapter to test. 

Frustrated as it's barely 2 months old. 

Have forwarded this to the test team and waiting for their insights on this.

Options
a week ago

@Clive_A 

Just an update, but it seems like my SG3210X-M2 switch is working properly again. I'm not sure what happened, but the only thing that's changed over the past few days is that the Dream Machine Pro and U6-LR access point received new firmware updates. I reconnected the U6-LR AP and USW Flex Mini switch back into the TP-Link switch and they both seem to be working properly again. I also re-connected a couple of computers directly into the switch again, and those both work as well.

It's strange because when the issue occurred a few days ago, none of the RJ45 ports worked. I rebooted the switch a few times and that didn't fix it. Then I did a couple of factory resets, and that didn't work either.

I just checked the Unifi firmware update history, and the last update was to the U6-LR AP over a month ago. The Dream Machine Pro received an update three months ago, and the USW Flex Mini switch has never received an update. It's strange that TP-Link SG3210X-M2 switch stopped functioning properly without any changes to my environment in over two months. Over the last two days, the Dream Machine Pro and U6-LR access point received firmware updates and today I noticed the RJ45 ports on the SG3210X-M2 switch were functioning properly again.

I guess the problem's been magically fixed for me (not sure how), until something else happens again.

Options
Yesterday

Hi  @G0tta_be_KD 

G0tta_be_KD wrote

@Clive_A 

Just an update, but it seems like my SG3210X-M2 switch is working properly again. I'm not sure what happened, but the only thing that's changed over the past few days is that the Dream Machine Pro and U6-LR access point received new firmware updates. I reconnected the U6-LR AP and USW Flex Mini switch back into the TP-Link switch and they both seem to be working properly again. I also re-connected a couple of computers directly into the switch again, and those both work as well.

It's strange because when the issue occurred a few days ago, none of the RJ45 ports worked. I rebooted the switch a few times and that didn't fix it. Then I did a couple of factory resets, and that didn't work either.

I just checked the Unifi firmware update history, and the last update was to the U6-LR AP over a month ago. The Dream Machine Pro received an update three months ago, and the USW Flex Mini switch has never received an update. It's strange that TP-Link SG3210X-M2 switch stopped functioning properly without any changes to my environment in over two months. Over the last two days, the Dream Machine Pro and U6-LR access point received firmware updates and today I noticed the RJ45 ports on the SG3210X-M2 switch were functioning properly again.

I guess the problem's been magically fixed for me (not sure how), until something else happens again.

Be sure to inform me if there is an issue again. I have informed the test team about this matter. We'd like to figure out if there is a potential issue or not. So we could follow it up and see what might be wrong. wink

Options