Wireless Bridge Controller Migration

2024-05-06 21:52:23
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello - we are working to separate 2 companies that were once one. Doing so requires us moving their devices to another controller one of which is a wireless bridge; EAP215-Bridge Kit. Having moved all the EAP653s and Switches already over to the new controller, I don't have much confidence the bridge will not drop. When I moved the EAPs and Switches over - none of the settings were retained - Hostnames, port profiles, radio profiles. I had to reconfigure it all. It seems like the migration just simply moved the devices without retaining any configs. Has anyone done a bridge migration to another controller with sucess? This is the guide I am following:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3589/#:~:text=1%20Step%201%3A%20Export%20Controller%20Export%20the%20configurations,%26%20Restore.%20...%203%20Step%203%3A%20Migrate%20Devices

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wireless Bridge Controller Migration
2024-05-07 15:12:57

@OCMSP 

It's a symantics thing.  The controller is where all the config info resides, and when you move devices, they take on the config from the new controller, not whatever settings they appeared to have previously under the old controller.  However, with a little planning you should be able to split a site into two without having to redo everything.

To fix this, you basically clone the original controller (so restore a backup to a new controller instance) that will move all the original controller settings (WAN, LAN, VLAN etc.)  Then tweak the controller for it's new location (usually just changing the WAN parameters, controller name, maybe timezone...you get the gist).  It also moves all the devices over.  Now, it's a bit fuzzy for me as it was a while ago, but I think all the devices re-connected to the new controller ok.  If not, they will still need to reset, but at least the their configs should all be pre-built and get reloaded, so downtime should be but a few minutes each.

I think your use case is pretty niche as usually moving devices is a redeployment to a new site, not a splitting of an existing.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Wireless Bridge Controller Migration
2024-05-08 03:35:33 - last edited 2024-05-08 03:35:51

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the reply! We went ahead and "migrated" the bridge. Did it lose its configuration on both the main and sub EAP? Sure did! Did the bridge go down? Yes. But we did not have to get on a ladder to reconfigure the sub EAP. We adopted & configured the main EAP then the auto paring feature kicked in. The sub AP was avalible to adopt and after that we were able to bring the bridge back online. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 158

Replies: 2

Related Articles