Ideal order / daisy chain of switch connections

a week ago
Model: T1500G-10MPS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I need to re-stack my network switches in order to limp into 2.5G networking. I've got gigabit Fios from the outside, but am looking to increase my LAN speed for my media servers within the house. 

I currently have a T1500G-10MPS and 2x TL-SG3428 switches, plus 2x EAP610 and a EAP225 outdoor. Also an OC200 Omada controller.

I'm using a Firewalla Gold SE for a router, which has 2 x gigabit ports and 2 x 2.5g ports. 

I'm adding a 2.5g card to a NAS and recently added a Plex Media Server with 2.5g networking on the motherboard. So I need to rearrange the switch connections to the Firewalla to use the 2.5. 

I'm considering adding a SG3210X-M2 so I can connect multiple 2.5g devices to the 2.5g Firewalla port and leave the other one open for the future.

Or I can connect the NAS to one of the 2.5 ports and the server to the other. But that routes all the 2.5 traffic through the router rather than directly within its own 2.5 LAN branch of the network. 

Firewalla: Port 1 (2.5): NAS, Port 2 (1g): Switch TDB, Port 3 (1g) Fios ONT, Port 4 (2.5) Plex Server.

What I'm curious about is the best order to connect my stack of 1gig switches. I've got the 8 port PoE T1500G-10MPS and the 2x24 port TL-SG3428s. My basic understanding is that I should place the switch with the highest capacity first, so would that mean one of the SG3428s should connect first?

I hope not to have to spend extra money to not increase performance, but would there be a benefit (theoretical or real world) in adding the 2.5 switch first? Meaning....

Firewalla: Port 1 (2.5):  SG3210X-M2 > 2.5 NAS & 2.5 Plex, Port 2 (1g): Switch TBD, Port 3 (1g): Fios ONT, Port 4 (2.5g): save for later

I'm sure there's an easy answer here, but I've got paralysis by analysis and am utterly lost on a very simple concept. 

OC200, 2x SG-TL3428, T1500G-10MPS, 3x EAP225, Firewalla Gold (replaced ER-605)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 71

Replies: 0

Related Articles