Votes

Option to hide IoT Network

Votes

Option to hide IoT Network

31 Reply
Re:Option to hide IoT Network
2023-07-13 13:04:26

Hey @Riley_S

Allow me to add my perspective to this discussion.
To me, what you're talking about is no more of a problem than, say, the WPA3 option. For sure, it's a feature that needs to be enabled with care, as not all devices are compatible. Therefore, all you need to do is enable by default the display of SSID and offer an option to hide it, with a small warning about possible compatibility issues.

The very principle of creating an IoT network is to increase the security of the home network by reducing the risk of entry via IoT devices, which are often poorly secured. An option to hide this network therefore makes perfect sense to me.

Options
RE:Option to hide IoT Network
2023-08-22 06:28:39
I would really like this feature to be implemented.
Options
2023-11-17 01:34:50 - last edited 2023-11-26 10:21:15

I agree with @Eseltwift. In the everyday situation, the IOT network should be hidden. While a sniffer could find the hidden IOT network, I don't need to broadcast it as a target. I also don't need my family, guests, or neighbors seeing more than the one or two networks designed for their use.

1. The default mode could be unhidden with parenthesis reminding the user that this is the recommended default.

2. When the IOT network is hidden, a note could pop up reminding the user that the IOT needs to be unhidden for initial discovery by new devices.

At that point, you've warned all of the less informed (less techy) users twice to leave the IOT network alone. 

Thanks!

Options
2023-11-24 09:33:12

Just got my DECO system setup with IoT network enabled and was a bit surprised that I couldn't hide it.  Please include this feature or option on the next update.  Thank you.

Options
2023-12-10 19:50:54

I too would like the ability to not broadcast the IoT SSID

Im suprised we cant nd this thead is 9 months old.... such an easy thing to add

Options
RE:Option to hide IoT Network
2023-12-14 02:02:25
I agree with the previous comments, in most cases i have to connect my phone to the network first before adding the device. In any other case I would simply unhide to add a device, anyone making a dedicated network for IoT devices would also be capable of this. Definitely a feature I would like to see.
Options
2023-12-28 17:07:56

@cableghost Yes please add this feature, the only network visible is the IoT which I definitely don't want to be seen outside of my home.

Options
2024-01-12 20:51:49

@cableghost Please add this feature.

Options
2024-01-18 12:49:11

@cableghost Please have the future added.. Can not be that IoT network is visible to the world..

Options
2024-01-27 01:19:23

I will also throw my hat in this arena. I want the IOT to be hidden. I can deal with turning it on myself if I add any new devices. 

Options

Voters 18

+ 14 Voters