Installing a Deco Alongside your Original Router

Released On: 2019-05-08 23:22:01Last update time: 2023-12-01 17:19:28

If you plan to install Deco unit(s) with your existing wireless router, here are two ways you can set that up.

Topology 1:

https://static.tp-link.com/21_1552288997760p.png

Note: When the Deco in the Router mode, it’s not suggested to connect more than 1 deco units to the Router directly, because it may cause network loop.

When the deco in the AP mode, you can connect more than 1 Deco unit to the router directly.

Additionally, the Deco system will not act as a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the clients. Please make sure you have enabled the DHCP server function on the root router. Since all the clients are managed by the root router, some advanced features will not be available on the Deco app, including Antivirus, Parental Controls, Port Forwarding, Address Reservation, TP-Link DDNS, etc.

Topology 2:             

https://static.tp-link.com/22_1552289023815q.png          

If you want to use Deco along with your existing router, do the following:

Define a different network name (SSID) and password from those of your current network. Configuring the Deco with the same SSID might lead to various issues.

If possible, turn off your existing router’s Wi-Fi. You will then have a single SSID for your whole network, with minimal wireless interference. This will ensure a reliable internet connection and seamless roaming while on the Deco mesh network.

If your router is a combination of a modem & router from your ISP, check with your ISP for instructions on how to turn off the wireless capabilities.

Your ISP may also have directions on how to set the device to bridge mode. If so, it is suggested to configure the router in the bridge mode to avoid issues, such as double NAT which could block services.

Comment

I'm curious about this recommendation for installing a Deco alongside an existing router. Specifically, why recommend connecting the Deco devices downstream of the existing router? I just purchased a Deco AX5000 set of 3 devices, and it's sitting unopened until I understand this TP-Link recommendation. Part of the reason for the purchase is to take advantage of the mesh devices to provide better network coverage in our house. The other, more important reason is to create two separate networks in our house, either through VLANs (if the 5000 supports it), or by using the old router to create a separate network for less secure devices. I would assume that the new Deco would have faster hardware, better firmware, etc., and thus would be the best device to connect to the WAN, with the old router downstream.

TP-Link, why do you recommend this configuration??

What is the advantage of connecting a existing router to the main deco? I have a Archer Ax1500, but I removed it when I installed my Deco W3600 units. I didn't know I could connect the main one to my existing router. My WiFi is now slower on my devices except my desktop which I connected to the second node via ethernet, speeds doubled on it.

I had a regular modem I used when I had 300 mbs service. I recently went up to 1gig, however I need to have a wired connection to modem or modem/router. And I did not see any available to me without stupid fees. so I bought an authorized Arris G34. I got it setup and every time I try to set up deco then put it into AP mode everythign goes haywire. loss connectivity. Only 3 things are on Main Modem router. currently 1 etherenet and 2 wifi. But I still cannot set the deco up to be AP mode. I am at my whits end. I have workked on this for week. thought I had solved the issue of doubble Nat as even when in AP mode the first time apparently DHCP was still wokring.. Goodness. Please help

upload
    upload