EAP controller software on a Raspberry Pi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-01 02:00:44
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I wanted to ask if the controller software is running on a Rasbarry Py (under Snappy Ubuntu Core), since I can get so much power, and have a durging disposition. On the Rasbarry is echoing only a Slimmed version of Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for the answer!
Options
25 Reply
Re:EAP controller software on a Raspberry Pi?
2017-09-01 09:59:37
Probably it could run on a Pi 3 Model B, but limitation still would be the Pi's RAM. I doubt that it would be much fun to run the EAPC on it.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-09-14 23:11:23
I just tried this and unfortunately it doesn't work. TP-Link has not compiled the binaries included in the install package for ARM processors, which is what Raspberry Pis use. I wish they do this, because that would be a very nice power efficient way to manage the APs.

FYI, I tested on the Raspberry Pi Zero W with Raspbian Stretch and received the following error during installation:

[CODE]/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/portt: Cannot execute binary file: Exec format error[/CODE]
Options
2017-09-14 23:17:06
Unfortunately, before memory, the restriction comes from the binaries that are not compiled for ARM processors. I was hoping it would work, since they seems to have a Java requirement. Some of the utilities during the installation are not compiled for ARM. I tried this on a Raspberry Pi Zero W on Raspbian Stretch and recievied Exec format error. I wish TP-Link would make their software cross-platform.
Options
2017-09-15 23:01:21
It makes not much sense to compile SW for tiny SoC boards if the boards don't meet all other requirements to run the controller.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-09-17 20:40:00
Hi all!
I am working on a solution and I have got some promising results on a raspberry pi zero W.
I will write a full post on my solution once I have got it to work reliably.

In the mean time, here are some hints.

/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/portt: Cannot execute binary file: Exec format errorThis error is due to the portt binary which is for x86 architecture whereas the raspberry pi has an arm architecture.
The portt binary is only used in file controller.sh, you can replace the call in controller.sh or skip it and replace it with a long delay.

The included jre is for x86. You will have to replace it with the raspberry's. The raspberry's jre doesn't support -server option, you have to replace it with the -client option.

The controller also uses mongodb, you have to replace the binaries by the raspberry's.

I have managed to make it work, just wait a few days and I will publish a full patch for the raspberry :)
Options
2017-09-22 18:06:53
Hi there, will follow this closely as the possibility of running the EAP Controller on a Raspberry Pi (3 model B in my case) would definitely be very interesting :)
Options
EAP Controller on a Raspberry Pi!
2017-09-30 17:38:24
Hi!

Hi there, will follow this closely as the possibility of running the EAP Controller on a Raspberry Pi (3 model B in my case) would definitely be very interesting :)

I have not tested on a Raspberry Pi 3 model B. It works successfully on a Raspberry Pi zero W and it fails on a Raspberry Pi 2 model B, must likely because it runs out of memory.

Using a script
I have made a simple script for you to install the eap controller on a Raspberry Pi: https://gist.github.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99
On raspbian, simply log in using ssh and type:
[CODE]
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99/raw/a0283f963f42a4c7a50200fa092cb3f2df87f1cb/eap-controller-pi.sh
chmod +x eap-controller-pi.sh
sudo ./eap-controller-pi.sh
[/CODE]

Manual Install
Step-by-step explanation:

Replace the portt tool by a bash command in /opt/tp-link/tpeap/bin/controller.sh :
line [CODE]${PORTT_TOOL} 127.0.0.1 8088 500[/CODE] should be [CODE]netstat -plnt | grep :::8088[/CODE].
Install java with [CODE]sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-jdk[/CODE] then in bin/controller.sh, replace line [CODE]JAVA_TOOL=${JRE_HOME}/bin/java[/CODE] by [CODE]JAVA_TOOL=/usr/bin/java[/CODE].
Then on a Raspberry Pi zero W, replace:
[CODE]nohup $JAVA_TOOL -server -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Deap.home="${eapHome}" -cp ${eapHome}"/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:"${eapHome}"/lib/*:"${eapHome}"/external-lib/*" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > ${eapHome}/logs/startup.log 2>&1 &[/CODE]
by [CODE]nohup $JAVA_TOOL -client -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Deap.home="${eapHome}" -cp ${eapHome}"/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:"${eapHome}"/lib/*:"${eapHome}"/external-lib/*" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > ${eapHome}/logs/startup.log 2>&1 &[/CODE]
On a raspberry pi 2, this change is not needed. Maybe it is on a raspberry pi 3, I could not test it.

Finally, replace the mongodb binaries:
[CODE]

sudo apt-get install mongodb
cd /opt/tplink/EAP_Controller/bin
rm mongo mongod
ln -s /usr/bin/mongo mongo
ln -s /usr/bin/mongod mongod[/CODE]
And use a tool such as rcconf to disable the mongodb service at startup and enable the tpeap service at startup.
I have written a more in-depth explanation here: https://medium.com/@arthurgay/eap-controller-software-on-a-raspberry-pi-9e93ecd1672e

=====================================================

On my raspberry pi zero W, it can take up to 10 minutes to start, so be patient :)

I have been asked to install the same system on another site later this year, so I will try to clean it a bit.
I don't think it is a good idea to use a Raspberry Pi zero W for this task, because it is wirelessy connected to the network and there is a risk to disconnect the raspberry pi if one change the wifi network in the eap controller settings.
A raspberry pi 3 would be a better alternative because of the eternet connection but it is more expensive. I am going to try using an orange pi instead.

It was very interesting to work on this project, I hope some of you will find it useful !
Options
2017-10-01 01:59:07
Thank you so much for posting this! I agree that using the Raspberry Pi Zero W wirelessly is not a good idea, especially since we are managing the very AP that it might be connected to. I use the Raspberry Pi Zero W with an USB OTG cable with a USB Ehternet adapter. This allows it to be wired.

arzul wrote

Hi!

I have not tested on a Raspberry Pi 3 model B. It works successfully on a Raspberry Pi zero W and it fails on a Raspberry Pi 2 model B, must likely because it runs out of memory.

Using a script
I have made a simple script for you to install the eap controller on a Raspberry Pi: https://gist.github.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99
On raspbian, simply log in using ssh and type:
[CODE]
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99/raw/a0283f963f42a4c7a50200fa092cb3f2df87f1cb/eap-controller-pi.sh
chmod +x eap-controller-pi.sh
sudo ./eap-controller-pi.sh
[/CODE]

Manual Install
Step-by-step explanation:

Replace the portt tool by a bash command in /opt/tp-link/tpeap/bin/controller.sh :
line [CODE]${PORTT_TOOL} 127.0.0.1 8088 500[/CODE] should be [CODE]netstat -plnt | grep :::8088[/CODE].
Install java with [CODE]sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-jdk[/CODE] then in bin/controller.sh, replace line [CODE]JAVA_TOOL=${JRE_HOME}/bin/java[/CODE] by [CODE]JAVA_TOOL=/usr/bin/java[/CODE].
Then on a Raspberry Pi zero W, replace:
[CODE]nohup $JAVA_TOOL -server -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Deap.home="${eapHome}" -cp ${eapHome}"/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:"${eapHome}"/lib/*:"${eapHome}"/external-lib/*" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > ${eapHome}/logs/startup.log 2>&1 &[/CODE]
by [CODE]nohup $JAVA_TOOL -client -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Deap.home="${eapHome}" -cp ${eapHome}"/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:"${eapHome}"/lib/*:"${eapHome}"/external-lib/*" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > ${eapHome}/logs/startup.log 2>&1 &[/CODE]
On a raspberry pi 2, this change is not needed. Maybe it is on a raspberry pi 3, I could not test it.

Finally, replace the mongodb binaries:
[CODE]

sudo apt-get install mongodb
cd /opt/tplink/EAP_Controller/bin
rm mongo mongod
ln -s /usr/bin/mongo mongo
ln -s /usr/bin/mongod mongod[/CODE]
And use a tool such as rcconf to disable the mongodb service at startup and enable the tpeap service at startup.
I have written a more in-depth explanation here: https://medium.com/@arthurgay/eap-controller-software-on-a-raspberry-pi-9e93ecd1672e

=====================================================

On my raspberry pi zero W, it can take up to 10 minutes to start, so be patient :)

I have been asked to install the same system on another site later this year, so I will try to clean it a bit.
I don't think it is a good idea to use a Raspberry Pi zero W for this task, because it is wirelessy connected to the network and there is a risk to disconnect the raspberry pi if one change the wifi network in the eap controller settings.
A raspberry pi 3 would be a better alternative because of the eternet connection but it is more expensive. I am going to try using an orange pi instead.

It was very interesting to work on this project, I hope some of you will find it useful !
Options
2017-11-24 21:22:40
Hello,
i'm using a raspberry p3 with raspian stretch.
i tried to use the sript installation and the manually installation, but both options end with this error:

./etc/init.d/tpeap: line 68: /opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/portt: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

What i am doing wrong by using the script:

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99/raw/a0283f963f42a4c7a50200fa092cb3f2df87f1cb/eap-controller-pi.sh chmod +x eap-controller-pi.sh sudo ./eap-controller-pi.sh

many thanks for your help
Options
2017-12-15 18:08:44

tronixinside wrote

Hello,
i'm using a raspberry p3 with raspian stretch.
i tried to use the sript installation and the manually installation, but both options end with this error:

./etc/init.d/tpeap: line 68: /opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/portt: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

What i am doing wrong by using the script:

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99/raw/a0283f963f42a4c7a50200fa092cb3f2df87f1cb/eap-controller-pi.sh chmod +x eap-controller-pi.sh sudo ./eap-controller-pi.sh

many thanks for your help

I had the same problem with the raspberry pi 3, I also got the "annot execute binary file: Exec format error".

I got it working by doing the stepts manually. I followed the steps from this site:
https://medium.com/@arthurgay/eap-controller-software-on-a-raspberry-pi-9e93ecd1672e

Best try it on a clean raspbian installation

best reagrds
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8409

Replies: 25

Related Articles