users and guests issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

users and guests issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
users and guests issue
users and guests issue
2018-03-20 01:21:39
Model : EAP320

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, I have the lastest firmware, last version of EAP controller too.I’ve enabled portal with authentication for our wifi to last for 1h for each user (simple password), and no ssid password, but it doesn’t matter because whenever we access the software, roughly half of the people connected are guests, while the others are “users”? And they stay connected for more than 1h! Why? Shoudn’t be 100% guests connected for less than one hour? I just can’t get it!Is it a bug? A glitch?Thanks!
Options
5 Reply
Re:users and guests issue
2018-03-21 05:24:51
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-03-21 17:50:47
I did before creating this reply, that thread you mention was the first thing google showed me about the subject, but it was of no help for me.The manual and the thread basically say that: “The clients are divided into two types: User and Guest. Users are the clients connected to the EAP wireless network without the Portal Authentication. Guests are the clients connected to the EAP wireless network with the Portal Authentication.”So, why in God’s name the people connecting through the portal show up as “user” in the EAP controller? They should show up as “guests”.BTW, if I enable “no authentication” on portal and “authentication timeout 1 hour. on the same portal, do people will be logged out after 1 hour?Thanks.
Options
2018-03-22 09:58:50

Pancake wrote

why in God’s name the people connecting through the portal show up as “user” in the EAP controller? They should show up as “guests”.BTW, if I enable “no authentication” on portal and “authentication timeout 1 hour. on the same portal, do people will be logged out after 1 hour?Thanks.

Hi,

1. After clients connected to a portal SSID, they will show in "user" list first (clients don't pass the portal authentication and cannot access network in the moment), then if clients pass the portal authentication, they will show in "guest" list and access the network.
2. If you are using Omada Controller 2.5.4 or below, when the "no authentication" is timeout, yo can try to pass the authentication again to access the network. But for Omada Controller 2.6.0 or above, it add "Daily limit" function for "no authentication" portal. If you have enabled this function, after authentication timeout, the user cannot get authenticated again in one day. To use this function, EAP should upgrade to corresponding firmware.
Options
2018-03-22 10:03:58

Pancake wrote

So, why in God’s name the people connecting through the portal show up as “user” in the EAP controller? They should show up as “guests”.

If someone walks to your house's door, he uses the walkway. If you open the door and let him in, he is your guest.

If someone connects to your EAP's adapter, she uses the WiFi and she is a user. If she logs in, she becomes a guest.

Sounds logical to me.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-03-22 23:49:19
Fair enough, guys. Thanks a lot.
Options