TL-R600VPN PPTP Tunnel as WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-21 06:56:38 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:08:51
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.3 Build 20180530 Rel.63202

I have established unencrypted PPTP VPN tunnel successfully from my TL-R600VPN to a commervial VPN provider PureVPN. I'm trying to treat this PPTP tunnel as WAN and route internet traffic from a certain LAN IP through this tunnel with policy routing but so far unsuccessful. This works fine if I connect PPTP to the same provider through an additional WAN interface, but I prefer to use the VPN tunneling method on top of my existing WAN interface. Is this possible?

From the router diagnostics menu, I can successfully ping internet sites through the VPN tunnel, but any traffic from local PCs cannot reach the internet. If I try to ping to the internet from PC the router respond with Destination Unreachable. I have tried different settings on the working mode (NAT and route), different settings on the remote subnets and multi-nets NAT but still unsuccessful. If I use static routing on specific destination IPs and route it through the tunnel it works, the PC can reach the internet, but policy routing doesn't seem to work.

Amy I missing something? Appreciate any help.

Hilman

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN PPTP Tunnel as WAN
2019-02-25 06:39:18 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:08:51

Hilman wrote

I have established unencrypted PPTP VPN tunnel successfully from my TL-R600VPN to a commervial VPN provider PureVPN. I'm trying to treat this PPTP tunnel as WAN and route internet traffic from a certain LAN IP through this tunnel with policy routing but so far unsuccessful. This works fine if I connect PPTP to the same provider through an additional WAN interface, but I prefer to use the VPN tunneling method on top of my existing WAN interface. Is this possible?

From the router diagnostics menu, I can successfully ping internet sites through the VPN tunnel, but any traffic from local PCs cannot reach the internet. If I try to ping to the internet from PC the router respond with Destination Unreachable. I have tried different settings on the working mode (NAT and route), different settings on the remote subnets and multi-nets NAT but still unsuccessful. If I use static routing on specific destination IPs and route it through the tunnel it works, the PC can reach the internet, but policy routing doesn't seem to work.

Amy I missing something? Appreciate any help.

Hilman

Hi Hilman

I think you may use the PPTP client to connect the VPN. Please note that this is used for LAN to LAN VPN. Only when you access the IP belonged to remote subnet (10.10.10.0/24), the packets will be forwarded to VPN tunnel. 

If you configure connection type as PPTP for WAN port, then the VPN type is client to LAN VPN. All the packets will be forwarded to the VPN server if the gateway is the VPN server.

Options
Re:Re:TL-R600VPN PPTP Tunnel as WAN
2019-02-26 02:40:54 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:08:51

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I know it is not possible and I will continue to use the WAN port for this purpose. I was trying to get as much LAN ports as possible so I don't have to add another switch on the LAN side.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1902

Replies: 2

Related Articles