Why does the WAN on TL-R600VPN not work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 19:44:47 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:28
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: factory default

I just got this router today because my Internet package now offers speeds higher than my old router was built for.

I haven't changed anything from factory default besides login information, and changing the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1, and changing the # of WAN ports to just 1. 

I am 110% positive that I have everything plugged in correctly. A LAN port of my modem (which is running in bridge mode, no DHCP) is connected to the first WAN port of this router. LAN port #4 of the router is connected to my PC.

My ISP setting is Dynamic IP, so I have that selected under WAN1 configuration. All other fields are left as default.

When I hit "Connect", the status changes to "Connecting..." and then back to "Disconnected". It will not connect, and there is no feedback suggesting why this is the case.

This is not a problem with my internet connection. A different LAN port of my modem is connected to my old tp-link router, which is having no issues transmitting my internet connection to other devices.

Why doesn't the WAN port on this router work?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why does the WAN on TL-R600VPN not work?
2020-08-28 02:27:54 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:28

Dear @skis99,

As you mentioned that your modem is running in bridge mode, please only have one router connected to the LAN port of your modem for the Internet connection.

A modem usually only caches one MAC address, so once it caches the MAC address of a router and provides IP address for the router to access the internet, it may fail to recognize another MAC address from a new router.

To set up the new router successfully, we just need to do one thing:

Power off the modem completely (take out the battery if there is) to remove its memory for MAC address if we want to use it with a new router.

If you use a cable modem, it's suggested to try the following steps (order is important):

1. Power off the modem completely, take out the battery if there is. (for cable modem, please also unscrew the coaxial cable)

2. When the Router is powered on, connect the Router’s WAN port to the modem via Ethernet cable.

3. Power the modem back ON. (for cable modem, leave the coaxial cable disconnected, wait 3-5 minutes before you screw it back)

4. Wait for the modem to reconnect and then check the Internet service.

Hope this information is helpful. Best Regards!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Why does the WAN on TL-R600VPN not work?
2020-11-25 23:58:17 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:28

@skis99 This not working.... A follow step by step and nothing wan from modem isp connect... another thing???

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1351

Replies: 2

Related Articles