Common Questions About the Hardware Version and Firmware Update

2024-02-06 01:53:14 - last edited a week ago

Background:

We aim to demystify the distinctions among our hardware versions and address any confusion surrounding firmware upgrades. Through this KB, our goal is to ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of our hardware variations and their implications.

This Article Applies to:

All TP-Link(Omada) models

Hardware Version and Firmware Upgrade

1. Consistency and Variance in Hardware Versions

Our products may have different hardware version identifiers due to varying production locations. i.e. VX.0, VX.6, and VX.8 are manufactured in different factories.

For instance, a product with version V1.0 is functionally and performance-wise identical to versions V1.6 or V1.8. This rule also applies to more granular version numbers (e.g., V1.20 is equivalent to V1.26 or V1.28).

Note that V1.0=V1.6=V1.8 can NOT use the firmware of V1.20=V1.26=V1.28 due to the chipset or MCU(microcontroller unit) may not be the same. Please refer to the firmware download page and its release note.

This means that although hardware version numbers may slightly differ, they are consistent in terms of core performance and functionality, ensuring product uniformity across versions.

2. Backup Compatibility Issues Across Hardware Versions

It is important to highlight that backup files between different hardware versions are NOT interchangeable.

For example, a backup from a V1.0 version device cannot be used on a V2.0 version device. In some extreme cases, although a backup file might be imported and the device appears to operate normally, this action can lead to errors and instability.

Please be aware that our company is not responsible for any issues that may arise from such scenarios. To avoid these situations, we have made clear notifications on the firmware download page, which you should pay close attention to.

3. Guidance on Firmware Upgrades

If you are unable to find the appropriate firmware version for your device in your region or are looking for the latest firmware updates, we recommend visiting our official website at https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/.

There, by searching for your device model and accessing the support page, you can download the corresponding firmware, ensuring that your device is running the most optimized and secure software version.

Due to the regional website being run by the local team, there may be a delay when they update their website and content timely. If you have feedback about the update of the website, please send it to the support team.

Update Log:

Mar 13th, 2024:

Update the sentence for better understanding.

Feb 6th, 2024:

Release of this KB.

Recommended Threads:

Troubleshooting Online Detection and Link Backup (Failover) Don't Take Effect

Troubleshooting Custom DDNS Is Not Working

Common Questions About the Load Balancing & Link Backup(Failover)

• If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.
  • If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report? 

Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
5 Reply
Re:Common Questions About the Hardware Version and Firmware Update
2024-02-26 18:19:12

@Clive_A I can confirm that in the ER7212PC, the V1.6 firmware upgrade is (probably) not compatible with hardware V1.0.

I upgraded my V1.0 device with the V1.6 firmware after reading the text below on the download page:

(Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)

Although everything seemed to work for a day or so, I suddenly lost (local) connectivity with the controller during some reconfiguration, and the LAN and WAN connectivity was gone for all 30+ clients. I resorted to connecting my computer to my phone's hotspot and connecting through the Cloud Controller, and found my router, missing its assigned (<premises name> Router) name, and only showing its model name, ER7212PC.

It had lost all configuration, and was back to factory, out-of-the-box condition.

I used my phone's hotspot to download the latest V1.0 firmware and installed it.

I then spent about 5-6 hours setting my entire LAN up gain from scratch (I didn't want to use any backup files, as I wanted a fresh start for various reasons).

Due to the fresh start, a few of the issues I was trying to resolve are gone, but that's not the method I would have chosen to do it.

Despite the text on the firmware download page, I no longer recommend using Vx.6/8 firmware on a Vx.0 ER7212PC...

Options
2024-02-27 01:59:12 - last edited 2024-02-27 01:59:28

Hi @Type17

Type17 wrote

@Clive_A I can confirm that in the ER7212PC, the V1.6 firmware upgrade is (probably) not compatible with hardware V1.0.

I upgraded my V1.0 device with the V1.6 firmware after reading the text below on the download page:

(Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)

On a scale of 0 to 100 percent certainty, what would you give to your statement?

Type17 wrote

Although everything seemed to work for a day or so, I suddenly lost (local) connectivity with the controller during some reconfiguration, and the LAN and WAN connectivity was gone for all 30+ clients. I resorted to connecting my computer to my phone's hotspot and connecting through the Cloud Controller, and found my router, missing its assigned (<premises name> Router) name, and only showing its model name, ER7212PC.

On a scale of 0 to 100 percent certainty, what would you give to your statement that no misconfiguration is done to your parameters?

If you are 100% certain about both statements, I am happy to discuss this.

Let me know what happened and what IP addresses you get during your "downtime" by upgrading to the "wrong" firmware. Start a new thread and paste all the details you recorded during that "failure". Will discuss that in that new thread.

Or I would say you are ringing a false alarm without any concrete evidence to stand up your statement. We speak based on evidence and knowledge, don't we?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-28 11:45:23 - last edited 2024-02-28 11:45:54

@Clive_A I have managed to get my LAN back where it needs to be, but currently without ACL entries or IP-to-MAC bindings, and I am performing further small changes (with settings backups beforehand) and examining the results overnight.

I will also be upgrading my router to the V1.6 firmware, and seeing whether it affects the stability. I will have a stable backup of the V1.0 to roll back to if necessary. 

I will start a new thread when I've examined the situation thoroughly.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

I am grateful for this explanation. TP-Link hardware versioning finally makes a small amount of sense.

Please tell whatever executive approved this abuse of version numbers that it was a horrible mistake.

I know you know it was. And I bet they know, too. But it might make a difference if you tell them a loyal customer said this.

Manufacturing location should be encoded some other way.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @integerpoet 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

integerpoet wrote

I am grateful for this explanation. TP-Link hardware versioning finally makes a small amount of sense.

Please tell whatever executive approved this abuse of version numbers that it was a horrible mistake.

I know you know it was. And I bet they know, too. But it might make a difference if you tell them a loyal customer said this.

Manufacturing location should be encoded some other way.

Encoded on the label as you can see.

The version is not only for you to read and tell the difference between different gens(V1.X and V2.X), but we also need to internally mark them and check if there is a problem(V1.6 or V1.0) while we can quickly locate the batch and respond correctly.

Changing this would affect all aspects of the product. Not only the manufacturing and procuring but our support job as well.

This is not an abuse of the version number. This might not be the practice you frequently see but there are others doing this as well.

For our products, the first number weighs more as it is entirely a different gen. Hope you can understand our practice.

(Dev and PM teams' decision. Exec team approved it because they sign every doc internally.)

Options