What If My Windows Computer Is Not Accessible or Pingable Over the VPN

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

Background:

It is very common that ICMP does not work for Windows computers. In this guide, we will explain why and what you should do to enable it.

This Article Applies to:

All TP-Link(Omada) models

Windows Firewall

It is widely known that Windows Firewall can stop local network access or VPN access. By default settings, your ICMP from another LAN via VPN is stopped by the Windows Firewall.

To fix this, you can simply create a firewall rule to enable that access.

1. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall. Click Advanced Settings.

2. Look for this in the - Core Networking Diagnostics - ICMP Echo Request (ICMPv4-In). Right-click it and enable it.

(Optional) 3. If you don't have this option, you can create one. Click New Rule...

(Optional) 4. Set up the New Inbound Rule.

Rule Type as Custom.

Program as All Programs.

Protocol and Ports as ICMPv4.

Scope as Any.

Action as Allow the Connection.

Profile, select all of them.

Name can be any just for your identification of the rule.

After the above steps, your ICMP should be working now across the different and remote VPN subnets.

Update Log:

Apr 17th, 2024:

Release of this KB.

Recommended Threads:

Common Questions About the Hardware Version and Firmware Update

Common Networking Terminology and Abbreviation

How to Set Up Site-to-Site OpenVPN

• If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.
  • If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report? 

Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options