How to block all but RDP to a certain computer in the network when connected to PPTP VPN

How to block all but RDP to a certain computer in the network when connected to PPTP VPN

2023-12-12 15:48:59 - last edited 2023-12-12 15:54:29
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1.1

I am using the omada software controller and the ER8411 as my omada managed router and I'm having some trouble trying to accomplish the following with ACLs:

I want to make sure that nobody can make inbound connections to the Office PC (static IP already assigned) UNLESS you are on the PPTP VPN and I want to allow RDP only. This includes making sure that nobody inside the network can access that PC either. ONLY a user on PPTP VPN should have access and only through RDP. What I have been trying is this:

1. Create a block all from any to the Office PC in the switch ACL 

2. Create another switch ACL (above the block) that allows RDP port from the IP Group I created that contains the IPs you may get on VPN to the Office PC.

This does not work no matter what I've tried (Using IP group for the VPN IPs to the Office PC, etc.). This is difficult in Omada for some reason. Can anyone provide some guidance on this type of setup? Maybe it isn't possible?

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to block all but RDP to a certain computer in the network when connected to PPTP VPN
2023-12-12 17:25:57 - last edited 2023-12-12 17:30:28

UPDATE: I was able to get RDP working when on PPTP VPN but I can't limit it to just the RDP port (IP Port Group doesn't work).

I had to use IP groups and the source had to have 2 IP groups in it:

1. IP Group: GATEWAY - the IP of the router

2. IP Group: PPTP IPs - the IP subnet given out by the PPTP VPN

Both of the above had to exist or it wouldn't work, I tried every combination.

Those go to destination:

1. Office PC - an IP group with just the Office PC IP in it.

This essentially allows ALL traffic when on the PPTP VPN to go to the Office PC and not just limited to RDP. Close, but not quite.

Then I have a 'deny' ACL just below the above that denies any to Office PC which produces the blocking portion outside of the 2 IP groups defined above

Here is what my switch ACLs look like. The one named "Allow RDP" actually allows everything from the PPTP VPN IP/GATEWAY

Options
Re:How to block all but RDP to a certain computer in the network when connected to PPTP VPN
2023-12-13 07:51:14

Hi @OrangeStreet 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So you only need IP-Port now to limit the ports. Correct?

IP-Port Group does not work, what does it mean? It greys out or it is not effective?

Your plan is correct. ACL would work to achieve this.

So, specify the config parameters.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-13 14:21:15 - last edited 2023-12-13 14:28:52

@Clive_A 

After some more experimentation I found a setup that works to allow only certain IP-Port Groups (PPTP subnet and Router IP on port 3389) to connect to 2 different PCs on the network defined using an IP-Group (PC IP with /32 to restrict to just that 1 IP per PC).

Turns out I had to put the port group on the Source and not the destination.

Internet => PPTP on Gateway => Switch ACL => Allow IP-Port Group => IP-Group PC 1&2

IP-Port Group is the PPTP subnet (/29) and Gateway IP (/32) on port 3389

IP-Group is 2 IPs that match the static IPs on the PCs

This setup works as I want!

Options