Omada Controller 3.1.13 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I just made a .deb package with Omada Controller 3.1.13 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system providing the dpkg installer.

This .deb package is in the tradition of the community version of Omada Controller, meaning it contains the same Java classes and remaining files as the official TP-Link version except for the binaries bundled with it (JRE, mongodb) and the start/stop script control.sh (which is replaced by my own version omadactl).

Prerequisites

You will need the native versions of JRE, jsvc and mongod (installed by default in Raspbian based on Stretch, unfortunately not so in Debian). Setting up the Oracle JRE and jsvc is left to you as an exercise; here are some suggestions:

Debian and any other Linux distribution:

Install mongodb from the standard repository and JRE8 from Oracle's website. As for jsvc, don't use the Debian binary package, it requires OpenJDK last time I checked this. Instead, get the source code for jsvc (command apt-get source jsvc), compile it and install jsvc manually. Sorry for this inconvenience, but TP-Link decided to use jsvc for Privilege Separation rather than the much more common standard start-stop-daemon or daemonize programs already present on almost any Linux system. Don't blame me for this – omadactl still can use both methods, but you need to use jsvc for Omada Controller versions starting with V3.0.2.

Raspbian:

Oracle JRE8, jsvc and mongodb are pre-installed by default in Raspbian (make sure you did not explicitly choose OpenJDK as an alternative for the Oracle JRE). You can easily check whether the correct programs are installed on your Raspbian:

$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)
$ update-java-alternatives -l
jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt    318        /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt
$ mongod -version
db version v2.4.14
Sun Jun  2 15:12:09.409 git version: nogitversion

Donwload the all-architectures .deb package

Connect via ftp (not a web browser) to ftp.rent-a-guru.de, use passive mode. Log in using anon ftp (username: anonymous, Password: your mail address). Once connected, change directory to /private. You won't see any files therein, it's a private directory. Just issue the command:

get omada-controller_3.1.13-1_all.deb

to receive the file.

Checksum (check with md5sum) is: 084acb9dd106d79b16fbe6d3b9e49b5d *omada-controller_3.1.13-1_all.deb

Installation

First, make a backup of your Omada Controller before installing. Either use the web UI or copy the whole content of the subdirectory data in /opt/tplink/EAPController or /opt/tplink/OmadaController to a backup directory. You can later move the data directory back in place to the new controller version (stop the controller, move the data directory into its place, restart the controller).

Install the new version of Omada Controller with:

dpkg -i omada-controller_3.1.13-1_all.deb

After the installation the controller will be started automatically.

Notes:

• Installation directory is /opt/tplink/OmadaController-3.1.13. The symlink /opt/tplink/OmadaController is a short-hand alias to the installation directory.
  • Start/stop script has been renamed from tpeap to omadactl (tpeap is still there, it's a symlink to omadactl).
  • If installing using dpkg, you won't be able to switch between versions of Omada Controller using omadactl's switch command.
  • dpkg will remove older versions of the same package omada-controller, but it won't delete the old database (unless you do a manual purge before installing).
  • Some options of omadactl make no sense with only one version of the controller installed. However, restoring old database files from previous controller versions with omadactl should work, even after an installation of the new version.

More information

For help with omadactl see its manpage attached to this post.

For customization of omadactl see the config file /etc/default/omada.

For selection of the correct JRE and the starting method for the controller (either jsvc or standard Unix/Linux daemonizers) see file CONFIG in /opt/tplink/OmadaController.

For a list of all files installed by the .deb package use the command: dpkg -L omada-controller

If you want to uninstall and remove all files of this .deb package from your system, use the command: dpkg -P omada-controller

Have fun!

File:
omadactl-manual.pdfDownload
༺ 0100 1110 0011 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1101༻
Options
3 Replies
Re:Omada Controller 3.1.13 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
a week ago

.deb packages is good installed without errors.

bu if i look the status, omada controller is not running.

do you have any idea what i'm doing wrong?

thx

Options
Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.13 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
a week ago

Grbz wrote

bu if i look the status, omada controller is not running.

do you have any idea what i'm doing wrong?

What RasPi model do you use?

Run the following commands to see debug and error messages from the server. It usually prints the reason why it can't be started:

sudo killall java

sudo killall mongod

sudo omadactl -w -v start

Options
Re:Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.13 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
a week ago

Grbz, did you solve the problem?

Options