TL-R600VPN wireless devices cannot talk to each other on wifi AP's with VLAN tags

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-R600VPN wireless devices cannot talk to each other on wifi AP's with VLAN tags

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-07 22:07:37 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:09:16
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.3 Build 20180530 Rel.63202

My network is setup like so: My router (TL-R600VPN) has my internal network tagged as VLAN 10, with a guest network as VLAN 20. I have two access points, model: TL-WA801ND, both with two SSID's, one associated with each VLAN.

Ports 2 and 5 on the router have the AP's plugged in, and those ports have both VLANS (10 and 20) tagged. The PVID is also set to 10 as I can't NOT set that option, but no untagged traffic is running through those ports. The other two LAN ports (3 and 4) are set to be only VLAN 10 (untagged).

My problem is that with this setup, wireless devices cannot talk to each other. I have a chromecast I want to set up, but once it connects to the main network, I can't cast to it. It doesn't even appear as available in any apps that can cast to it. I CAN get it to work, if I set VLAN 10 to UNTAGGED on every port, and set the VLAN for the internal network to '1' on the access points, but I am not satisfied with that solution. What can I do to get everything to be tagged correctly, while also retaining the ability to communicate with my chromecast?

Aside from some static IP designations, forwarded ports, and a new admin password, the configuration is completely default. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN wireless devices cannot talk to each other on wifi AP's with VLAN tags
2019-06-12 11:00:22 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:09:16

Diller wrote

My network is setup like so: My router (TL-R600VPN) has my internal network tagged as VLAN 10, with a guest network as VLAN 20. I have two access points, model: TL-WA801ND, both with two SSID's, one associated with each VLAN.

Ports 2 and 5 on the router have the AP's plugged in, and those ports have both VLANS (10 and 20) tagged. The PVID is also set to 10 as I can't NOT set that option, but no untagged traffic is running through those ports. The other two LAN ports (3 and 4) are set to be only VLAN 10 (untagged).

My problem is that with this setup, wireless devices cannot talk to each other. I have a chromecast I want to set up, but once it connects to the main network, I can't cast to it. It doesn't even appear as available in any apps that can cast to it. I CAN get it to work, if I set VLAN 10 to UNTAGGED on every port, and set the VLAN for the internal network to '1' on the access points, but I am not satisfied with that solution. What can I do to get everything to be tagged correctly, while also retaining the ability to communicate with my chromecast?

Aside from some static IP designations, forwarded ports, and a new admin password, the configuration is completely default. 

Hi Diller

Firstly your devices should not support inter-VLAN routing. The devices in different VLANs should be not able to contact each. So if your chromecast is in the VLAN 10, the guest network cannot access it. 

If you want VLAN 10 can access chromecast, I think the settings should be as follows.

Port 2,5: PVID 1, belong to VLAN 10, 20 (both tagged)

Port 3,4: PVID 10, belong to VLAN 10 (untagged)

Make sure that WA801ND sends the tagged packets.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1404

Replies: 1

Related Articles