Clients connections keep dropping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-04 15:37:20
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: V 3.2.1

I'm experiencing frequent loss of connection between clients and the wireless access points.  On many occasions, a tablet or phone that is unused for an hour (or less) when trying to access internet via web browser (or email app) for instance will not load the screen and finally "no internet" even though the wifi connection shows as connected to the ssid.  I have to manually turn wifi on the client devices off then back on again to access internet.

It's a simple (overkill) network with 3 EAP 245's in a large home on an Edgelite router.  I've optimized network as much as I can tell (I'm just an old retired guy, not a techie, but I try hard).  Different non-overlapping bands (20 Mhz on the 2.4) and on the 5 Ghz, Cat 6 backhaul with no mesh, most of the time only 8 to maybe 12 clients connected, cable internet speedtesting around 105-150 mbps, Omada controller running on a intel i7 machine with plenty of ram and fast ssd's, and I've tried to look at and understand different settings plus used simple wifi analyzer programs that seem to indicate little to NO interference on any band.  Nothing ever seems to drop out or lose connection when using devices---only when sit idle for period of time.  Never happened with old (Netgear Nighthawk) wifi network or on other networks away from home. 

When it works, it's fantastic but frustrating when the wife keeps telling me her phone doesn't have internet (or her tablet).  Any suggestions appreciated!  There has to be a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Cinn

Options
10 Reply
Re:Clients connections keep dropping
2019-08-05 02:05:44

Hello,

You use the EAP245v3, what's the verison of your EAP? Please upgrade it to the latest version of firmware. You can download it from the website: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

Which band has the problem? You can set different SSIDs on 2.4G and 5G frequency, then you can confirm with band has this problem.

Please disable the advanced features: Load Balance, Band Steering, Airtime Fairness. Then have a try.

By the way, do all clients have this problem? 

Options
2019-08-09 20:27:12

Could you try while you have "Airtime Fairness" disabled ? You can find that setting under "Wireless Settings" at the bottom.

Options
Re:Re:Clients connections keep dropping
2019-08-10 22:32:04

Sorry, I've been really busy with a project.  The firmware is current I updated it on all of the Eaps upon installation and manually checked with the omada controller for current version.  The firmware version is 2.2.0 Build 20190530 Rel. 56122.

I disabled Force-disassociation in advanced wireless settings and it seems to occur much less frequent.  

Thanks,

Ron

Options
2019-12-19 18:52:21

@forrest I am having the same issues! this is very frustrating! Seems like as soon as the Omada controller hits 60 connections it craps the bed and starts kicking people off! There has got to be a better solution to this issue! FIX YOUR STUFF TP-LINK!

Options
2019-12-20 01:09:07

@hatethis 

You post here, indicating that there is also a client disconnection problem in your network. For your issue, we will try to help you solve the problem. But we still don't have a good understanding of your issue. 

Seems like as soon as the Omada controller hits 60 connections it craps the bed and starts kicking people off!

Do you mean when there are 60 clients connected to the EAP, the disconnection issue will occur? What's the model of your EAP devices? How many EAP do you have? Please upgrade the firmware to the latest version. By the way, according to your description, I think you may enable the load balance, please disable this feature. 

By the way, we recommend you to connect no more than 30 clients in each band of the EAP.

Options
2019-12-23 16:02:38

@forrest hello Forrest. It seems like when the Omada controller starts getting into the high 50`s and low 60`s # of connected users to the wifi the Omada controller starts dropping wifi connections. I find myself having to go into the "clients" section of the controller to physically reconnect people to the wifi. I have 4 EAP245 and 1 EAP 330 in my network. All WAP`s have the latest firmware installed from the TP-Links website. Another weird reoccurrence that I am noticing is Mac users having issues with either connecting or reconnecting to the wifi. Rate limit is off, fast roaming is off, airtime fairness is off, band steering is off, Load Balance for ALL WAP`s were disabled already. 

Options
2019-12-23 16:32:09

@hatethis ,

That is an interesting issue.  I have sites with hundreds of clients on a controller, and I have not run into it.  Some things I'd recommend looking at:

1. How are the clients spread out across your APs and bands?  Are you getting 50+ clients on one AP or one channel?  That's a recipe for problems

2. Check the data rates!  Look at the connection speed in the controller.  This has given me a lot of good insight when I'm debugging.  Look for devices with unusually low speeds, and see if any devices are linking at 0Mbps.

3. Find some way to link the problem devices together.  You say your Mac users are having issues, and in my experiance, that usually means you are having issues specifically with 5GHz, which Macs don't like to roam from as easily as other devices.  See if you can find anything similar between the devices.

Now assuming that the controller is actually causing the problem, some other questions I'd ask are:

1. How is your controller set up?  Did you get a OC200, or are you running Omada on some other hardware?  If it is a custom setup, is on on Linux or Windows?

2. Have you checked the controller system to make sure it has plenty of space avalible, etc?

3. Is there anything relevent in the controller logs?

I know, that's quite a list...  Hopefully, it's actually helpful instead of annoying! wink

Good Luck!

?

Options
2021-10-31 00:59:30

Hey sorry to zombie this but did you ever find a solution? I'm also having this problem, specifically with older generation macbooks dropping the connection. I've tried disabling basically everything (airtime fairness, power efficiency, everything "extra" to the basic protocol) and no go. There are only a couple dozen devices connected between 2 aps, and this doesn't affect anything besides older macbooks. Also have all my 5g networks on a separate SSID to make sure that isnt the issue.

Options
2021-10-31 12:23:40

@nixcamic 

Are you running these seperately on on a controller?   What actually happens when it drops out?

Any info on the firmware and setup would also help!

Options
2021-11-03 15:38:09 - last edited 2021-11-03 15:38:40

Hi Philbert, running on a controller. https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/223876 This thread has a better description of whats happening, maybe we could continue there? Latency goes crazy on Macbooks, sometimes results in connection being dropped (although the controller just sees client disconnect) always results in unusable connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7706

Replies: 10