Multiple LANS on TL-ER6020

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-05 04:04:38 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:13
Model: TL-ER6020  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I got a TL-ER6020 router about a year ago. At the time, I just needed multiple WANS so I could have alternate ISP's or more to the point, I could drop one, bring another on, and the users would be none the wiser.  As our network has expanded, I am looking at the possibility of using one of the WAN/LAN ports as another LAN.  So far from what I've read, it doesn't seem to be possible (why is it a WAN/LAN port and not just a WAN port?).

We have a ton of WiFi access points, so we can accommodate 100s of people all getting on their smart devices at once. This is leaving my Class-C network a bit starved of IP's. At the same time, I want to bring the office into the mix. Our office has their own DSL and own network What I was hoping to do, is to serve the office LAN from one of the WAN/LAN ports (i.e. regular LAN on 192.168.0.* and office LAN on 192.168.2.*) and set up some rules for which devices or IP's can talk between the two. This feels like it would be routing rules or possibly a VLAN but I'm not sure.  In case anyone is wondering why I'm trying to steal the office DSL, it's so I can increase the effective bandwidth on our client facing network, and we're a Bell Canada customer, meaning it's near impossible to get a simple change done without getting upsold to a bunch of stuff you don't need or want - this doubles as a means of doubling our client facing network capacity without me having to call our ISP helpdesk.

I know I could probably solve the space problem by using a class B subnet but that would mean a lot of downtime implementing that, and I still need a way of allowing the office network to talk to the main network and only a few machines on the main network to talk back to the client network.

I'm more a programmer than a network administrator so forgive me if any of this seems NOOB-ish.  Is what I'm trying to do reasonable on this model of router?  Also nice to have is if I can have the second class C network segment, for it to have a separate DHCP server.

-Hugh

Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple LANS on TL-ER6020
2019-09-05 06:06:03 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:13

hughLink wrote

Hi,

I got a TL-ER6020 router about a year ago. At the time, I just needed multiple WANS so I could have alternate ISP's or more to the point, I could drop one, bring another on, and the users would be none the wiser.  As our network has expanded, I am looking at the possibility of using one of the WAN/LAN ports as another LAN.  So far from what I've read, it doesn't seem to be possible (why is it a WAN/LAN port and not just a WAN port?).

We have a ton of WiFi access points, so we can accommodate 100s of people all getting on their smart devices at once. This is leaving my Class-C network a bit starved of IP's. At the same time, I want to bring the office into the mix. Our office has their own DSL and own network What I was hoping to do, is to serve the office LAN from one of the WAN/LAN ports (i.e. regular LAN on 192.168.0.* and office LAN on 192.168.2.*) and set up some rules for which devices or IP's can talk between the two. This feels like it would be routing rules or possibly a VLAN but I'm not sure.  In case anyone is wondering why I'm trying to steal the office DSL, it's so I can increase the effective bandwidth on our client facing network, and we're a Bell Canada customer, meaning it's near impossible to get a simple change done without getting upsold to a bunch of stuff you don't need or want - this doubles as a means of doubling our client facing network capacity without me having to call our ISP helpdesk.

I know I could probably solve the space problem by using a class B subnet but that would mean a lot of downtime implementing that, and I still need a way of allowing the office network to talk to the main network and only a few machines on the main network to talk back to the client network.

I'm more a programmer than a network administrator so forgive me if any of this seems NOOB-ish.  Is what I'm trying to do reasonable on this model of router?  Also nice to have is if I can have the second class C network segment, for it to have a separate DHCP server.

-Hugh

Unfortunately that ER6020 only has one DHCP server, so it cannot help you to assign another class C network. 

But if your DSL can be a router, then you still can build two network. Like the following.

ISP1----ER6020-----DSL router-----network A

ISP2----            ------network B

Network A can access network B, bu network B cannot access network A because of DSL router has NAT.

If you need the following network, ER6020 can support two WAN ports but doesn't support multiple DHCP server.

ISP1----DSL----ER6020-----network A and network B

ISP2--------------

Options
Re:Re:Multiple LANS on TL-ER6020
2019-09-05 12:27:08 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:13

My original need was something like this:

ISP1 --> TP Link Router --+

|

ISP2 --> TP Link Router --+------- LAN (192.168.0.*)

For that use, TPLink MultiWAN routers are perfect.

What I was looking to do was more like this:

|

ISP2 --> TP Link Router --+---(routing rules) ---+----LAN1 (192.168.0.*)

|

+---LAN2 (192.168.2.*)

I can easily add my own DHCP server (maybe use a Rasberry Pi or something) to the smaller office LAN but can I do this routing? My goals are as follows:

* share the unused capacity of the office DSL (currently using less than 10% bandwidth) with client DSL (currently at 100% capacity during peak times);

* Allow the office to access POS terminals on the client network;

* Limit access from client LAN to office LAN while offering office LAN users unfettered access to client LAN;

To use your idea, I'm wondering if both the router and a switch on the office network can both be clients of the office DSL. That way, I can still at least share the capacity of the office DSL.

-Hugh

Options
Re:Re:Re:Multiple LANS on TL-ER6020
2019-09-09 06:11:54 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:13

hughLink wrote

My original need was something like this:

|

ISP2 --> TP Link Router --+------- LAN (192.168.0.*)

For that use, TPLink MultiWAN routers are perfect.

What I was looking to do was more like this:

|

ISP2 --> TP Link Router --+---(routing rules) ---+----LAN1 (192.168.0.*)

|

+---LAN2 (192.168.2.*)

I can easily add my own DHCP server (maybe use a Rasberry Pi or something) to the smaller office LAN but can I do this routing? My goals are as follows:

* share the unused capacity of the office DSL (currently using less than 10% bandwidth) with client DSL (currently at 100% capacity during peak times);

* Allow the office to access POS terminals on the client network;

* Limit access from client LAN to office LAN while offering office LAN users unfettered access to client LAN;

To use your idea, I'm wondering if both the router and a switch on the office network can both be clients of the office DSL. That way, I can still at least share the capacity of the office DSL.

-Hugh

Hi hughLink

ISP1 --> +-------------+ <----(192.168.0.*)----Router----(192.168.1.*) office network

|   Router   |

ISP2 --> +-------------+ <----(192.168.0.*) client network

I think maybe can use two routers to achieve your demand.

1. Two network share both ISP.

2. office network can access client network, but client network cannot access office network because office network is behind NAT (router). 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Multiple LANS on TL-ER6020
2019-09-22 13:37:35 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:13

@Andone 

I ended up doing exactly this.

Both our DSL modems are set up in bridged mode and controlled by the ER-6120.  The client LAN connects directly to the router (well, via a collection of L2 switches) and the office LAN I have plugged into a D-Link single-WAN router that we had lying around. The D-Link connects to the WAN via static IP which I allocated from the range of IP's available on the router.

Now, as was suggested earlier, the office LAN can connect to the internet *and* hit any device on the client LAN, but no one on the client LAN can hit the office LAN.

Thanks for all who responded!!

-Hugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1730

Replies: 4

Related Articles