Install US firmware on EU model

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-19 01:22:28 - last edited 2020-12-09 01:40:55
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20180810 rel.36826(4555)

Hi everyone. 

Just purchased Archer C6 V2. 

I want to know is there any consequences if I install recent US firmware (published on 2019-09-30) on my Archer C6(EU) V2 model. If I cannot update to recent US firmware, can I update to some other EU region's recent firmware?

Looks like my region's (Bangladesh) EU version didn't get any firmware updated but rest of the world did. Even UK, Denmark and others EU country has more recent (published on 2019-02-20) firmware versions.

And i want to do it because my mobile phone can't detect 5GHz of this device. At my office they use Archer C60. My mobile can detect and connect to that device's 5GHz. So, read of reddit that changing region might solve the problem. That why.....

EDIT: Spellings... (my bad)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Install US firmware on EU model-Solution
2020-12-09 01:40:47 - last edited 2020-12-09 01:40:55

@AsifShaafi 

Hello, may I know what is the region version of your TP-Link router, please?

If it is the EU version, as we always stated that it only supports band 1 for the 5GHz, which is designed to comply with that of CE regulation. If all of your smartphones can only work with 5GHz band 4, you need to get the US version, so it is suggested to contact the distributor in Bangladesh to replace it with a US version if it is still running the TP-Link official firmware.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Install US firmware on EU model
2019-11-19 02:55:03 - last edited 2019-11-19 02:56:12

@Siam_Sadman 

Hello, it is not suggested to install the US firmware on the EU version product. 

From the current firmware version, it should be JP version, not EU. You can confirm the country version on the back label of the actual device. 

Besides, the firmware for the EU version is on its way now, it will be released soon.  You can wait a while to install it. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-19 15:53:39

@Kevin_Z , thanks for the replay.

The back of my device says Archer C6(EU). But as you mentioned my firmware version date do match with JP firmware but dont match with EU. That's weird.

So, can i install the UK one, which is EU like mine..

Options
2019-11-20 03:22:21

@Siam_Sadman 

Considering it shows EU on the back of the actual device, you can give it a go. 

While it is more recommended to update the firmware from the local TP-Link official website of the purchase location for your TP-Link device.

May it help. 

Options
2020-04-28 21:14:14

@Siam_Sadman 

Brother did u able to solve ur %Ghz wifi band problem?? I am getting the same problem. Can u help to get rid of the problem?

Options
2020-04-30 23:09:10

@arefinmirza 

No man. After extensive research I came to the conclusion that problems are from both ends, the router and the device.

Router Problem: EU model router does not support 100+   5GHz channels (i.e.  channel 120, channel 121 …… channel 130 ….  Etc.) but US model router do support this channel. And it’s a technology/hardware support thing. So, flashing US firmware will not give hardware new capabilities. And this might break by router and according to TP link, you can’t downgrade firmware version. So, this will put me in different firmware path. Though I have been using latest global EU firmware’s (I used last 3 of them). They do give some added functionality but not what I am looking for.

Now My device problem: My shitty phone do not support below 100   5GHz channels  (i.e  channel 36, channel 40 ….. etc.)  which my EU router have. Fantastic.

Solutions: In my opinion, none.

Maybe it’s our fault that we are not educated enough regarding this subject. That we should have know what to look for when purchasing a new router. Maybe we should have known what 5GHz channel my device can read. OR maybe manufacture should have spent a little bit more to educate its customer. I had to read countless forum and reddit posts and still I am not sure that my conclusion is right or wrong.

Note: I do have considered installing padavan and other custom ones….. but that’s a different rabbit hole ……

Short version: problem not solved

Options
2020-05-01 01:24:12

@Siam_Sadman  Is there a Padavan custom firmware for C6?  If yes, I want to try.  Love Padavan.

Options
2020-05-02 11:39:27

@Siam_Sadman 

Thanks brother for ur reply. I talked with tplink Bangladesh. They advised me to claim warranty. I am going to do that after lock down. I think tplink knows about the problem. But they concealed it. While asking they responded like they know it from begining.

Options
2020-12-08 19:04:51

@arefinmirza Hey, what's your update on the warranty claim? did you manage to fix the 5GHz band problem? 

Options
2020-12-08 19:39:04

@AsifShaafi Yes. Claimed it just before 1 month of warranty period. Got the US version of Archer C6 without any hassel. Ashik Mostafiz From Exel BD helped a lot.

Options
Re:Install US firmware on EU model-Solution
2020-12-09 01:40:47 - last edited 2020-12-09 01:40:55

@AsifShaafi 

Hello, may I know what is the region version of your TP-Link router, please?

If it is the EU version, as we always stated that it only supports band 1 for the 5GHz, which is designed to comply with that of CE regulation. If all of your smartphones can only work with 5GHz band 4, you need to get the US version, so it is suggested to contact the distributor in Bangladesh to replace it with a US version if it is still running the TP-Link official firmware.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 13365

Replies: 13

Related Articles