Bug in Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bug in Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bug in Parental Controls
Bug in Parental Controls
2020-06-13 07:28:29 - last edited 2020-06-18 09:32:21
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.4 Build 20200512 rel.51608(4555)

In Parental Controls, I can block multiple sites in one profile.  It works perfectly for the first device.  However it doesn't work for the second device added to the same profile.  It cannot even monitor which site the second device visited.  Please check and advise how can this problem be solved.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bug in Parental Controls-Solution
2020-06-18 02:04:08 - last edited 2020-06-18 09:32:21

@Solla-topee 

I've found out what's wrong finally.  A profile can monitor multiple devices.  But somehow each PC is recognised as 2 devices with the same name with different MAC address.  Both devices need to be added to ensure that the PC is being monitored by the profile.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Bug in Parental Controls
2020-06-16 06:01:49

@Tin 

Hello, do you mean the Parental Control rules don't work for the second device? May I have the screenshots of the Parental Control setting on the router?

What if you add another device, will the rules work for that one?

Does this Parental Control work fine in this way before?

Options
2020-06-16 06:33:29

@Solla-topee 

It works for the first device but not the 2nd device.  I haven't tried it before so I don't know it it worked before the update.

Solla-topee wrote

@Tin 

Hello, do you mean the Parental Control rules don't work for the second device? May I have the screenshots of the Parental Control setting on the router?

What if you add another device, will the rules work for that one?

Does this Parental Control work fine in this way before?

Options
2020-06-16 07:47:34

@Tin 

As per the screenshots you attached, you added 3 profiles on the Parental Control, please check and ensure the device is only added to one profile and you clicked on Save.

We have tested that if you have created a profile for the device, and try to add it to a second profile, it will be automatically removed from the previous profile list and applied to the second profile rule.

There should be the notice to let the customer know and we will push the related department to improve this.

Options
2020-06-16 10:45:16

@Solla-topee 

The reason I created multiple profiles was because one profile only worked for 1 profile.  Only the device on the first left can be monitored by the profile.  Other devices cannot be monitored by the profile and the blocked site list so no affect the devices on the left as well.

Options
2020-06-17 01:58:11

@Tin 

Hello, our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
Re:Bug in Parental Controls-Solution
2020-06-18 02:04:08 - last edited 2020-06-18 09:32:21

@Solla-topee 

I've found out what's wrong finally.  A profile can monitor multiple devices.  But somehow each PC is recognised as 2 devices with the same name with different MAC address.  Both devices need to be added to ensure that the PC is being monitored by the profile.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-06-18 03:24:28

@Tin 

Hello, it's glad to hear that you solved the issue finally. 

BTW, is there an extender is your network, as generally a PC will be just recognized as one device but not two?

Options
2020-06-18 04:25:49

Solla-topee wrote

@Tin 

Hello, it's glad to hear that you solved the issue finally. 

BTW, is there an extender is your network, as generally a PC will be just recognized as one device but not two?

@Solla-topee 

Thank you!

Yes, I use WDS to bridge a C60 to the main router C6 so that the Wi-Fi coverage can be extended.

Options
2020-06-18 09:32:12

@Tin 

I see, so that would explain why there are two MAC address for one device name.

Hope you could enjoy the internet then.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1366

Replies: 9

Related Articles