CPE510 AP to AP Client issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-25 22:42:08 - last edited 2020-06-25 22:43:27
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.2.1

Greetings,

Looking for some help with an issue I'm having with my CPE510s. I'm using them in a residential setting to connect two building on my property. The first CPE is connected to a typical residencial cable modem/router/hub and configured in AP mode. This is all done with dynamic IPs. The AP CPE gets to the second building okay, but the wireless signal is only visible in the two rooms facing the CPE. I decided to get a second CPE 510 as a client at the second building to see if I could use the AP Client mode to cover the second building. I configured the second CPE 510 in AP Client mode and connected it to the original AP CPE 510. The Client CPE shows strong signal on the side LED and the SNR is 39 db. But when I try to connect to the wireless signal from the AP Client, I do not get access to the internet. I've seen a DNS error a couple times but not sure how to fix. Please let me know if you have any possible solutions to this problem.

While my primary goal is to get the AP -> AP Client mode to work. I do have a spare wireless router that I could connect to the second CPE in a pure client mode, but I'm having a hard time finding example configures on how to connect the Client CPE to a residential wireless router/hub. Any advice here would be helpful as well. 

Thank you for your help in advance

Matt

Options
5 Reply
Re:CPE510 AP to AP Client issue
2020-06-25 23:01:58

@ciberw0lf Hi Matt!  The CPE510's are made to wifi...they are radios to create an invisible ethernet cable in between buidlings.  You need 2 of these and then add a EAP245 on the other end for your wifi.  It confuses users alot...... just like I have setup many Unifi radios just for this PTP..... and they also have PTMP for multiple buildings.

smiley

Options
2020-06-25 23:16:46

@Doc2485 

Doc2485 wrote

@ciberw0lf Hi Matt!  The CPE510's are made to wifi...they are radios to create an invisible ethernet cable in between buidlings.  You need 2 of these and then add a EAP245 on the other end for your wifi.  It confuses users alot...... just like I have setup many Unifi radios just for this PTP..... and they also have PTMP for multiple buildings.

smiley

Okay, couple follow up questions since I only know enough about networking to be dangerous. So I have 2 CPEs, one set as AP and the other as AP Client. from what you wrote, the AP Client mode is the issue and I need to use just the client mode? Then connect to another device to handle the wifi? I have a spare wifi router I could use for that.

Thanks

Options
2020-06-26 01:05:52

ciberw0lf wrote

So I have 2 CPEs, one set as AP and the other as AP Client.

I guess you mean »AP Client Router« mode. This mode is needed for WISP applications (see Operation Modes in the Pharos User's Guide).

The usual setting for directional PtP and PtMP links is »Access Point« and »Client« modes if you want to share the same network:

Then connect to another device to handle the wifi? I have a spare wifi router I could use for that.

Yes, but you would connect another access point. Or, if you have a WiFi router, you use it as an access point by disabling its DHCP server and connecting the CPE to one of the WiFi router's LAN ports instead of its WAN/Internet port. Otherwise you create another subnet which prevents sharing the same network.

This is the recommended topology to feed standard clients over a PtP link:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-06-26 02:06:30

Hey, Thanks for the help. When troubleshooting and trying the suggestions above, I found the 'Bridge' configuration of the CPE 510 solved my problem and met the setup I was going for. Thank you again

Options
2020-06-26 10:56:04 - last edited 2020-06-26 10:57:39

@ciberw0lf,

»Bridge« mode is similar to »Client« mode, except that an additional AP is created on the client CPE. It is used in this topology:

Technically speaking, a link between two CPEs in »AP« and »Client« modes is a wireless bridge, too.

I really recommend to RTFM.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1093

Replies: 5

Related Articles