Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-26 15:38:12 - last edited 2020-08-14 01:58:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Not sure if I'm in the right part of the forum but if I'm not, can you please let em know where's the best place to ask this?

I've got 3 EAP225 outdoor units where I'd like to set up a Mesh network. This will be an outdoor network coering a larger area (about 75 meters between each unit). Only one will be hooked up to network cable (or a switch and router) and the other two will not. The one that will have access to the switch will be in the middle of the other two so no 2nd hops needed.

I understand I need to download and install the Omada controller software.

I assume I have a version 1 of the EAP225 outdoor since on the back, it says Ver: 1.8

I'd like seamless wifi throughout the area so I assume Mesh network is the way to go but if there's another method I can use, please advise. There's no way to get internet access to the other two EAP225s so need the untis to talk to each other to do this. I need to get internet to them somehow so hoping Mesh will do the trick.

Is there a video I can watch or some detailed instructions on the web on how to set this up? I'm no expert so looking for good detail and step by step. Anything out there I can use?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?-Solution
2020-06-26 22:29:23 - last edited 2020-08-14 01:58:38

Hi Barry1963, you're in the right forum for discussions about Omada EAPs.

Barry1963 wrote

I'd like seamless wifi throughout the area so I assume Mesh network is the way to go but if there's another method I can use, please advise. There's no way to get internet access to the other two EAP225s so need the untis to talk to each other to do this. I need to get internet to them somehow so hoping Mesh will do the trick.

You mean seamless roaming? Seamless roaming does not depend on a mesh network, but on client support of 802.11k/v, which is used in Omada solution to implement seamless roaming. If clients don't support 802.11k/v, they fall back to basic roaming, which just requires to set up the same ESSID and WiFi security mode on all 3 EAPs (which is also a requirement for seamless roaming).

Meshing is the way to go if you cannot run a cable to the EAP, but note that a mesh does not increase the client capacity of the wireless network. This means that the maximum number of concurrent users/clients for the whole mesh network is the same as for a single EAP225 (~60 to 80 clients depending on the usage pattern). Thus, meshing will extend the WiFi coverage, but not the client capacity.

As for setting up a mesh, you can refer to the Omada Controller User's Guide, chapter 3.1.4, page 48.

There is a FAQ about meshing here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2283/

This post describes fast roaming, which is another term for seamless roaming: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/322

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?-Solution
2020-06-26 22:29:23 - last edited 2020-08-14 01:58:38

Hi Barry1963, you're in the right forum for discussions about Omada EAPs.

Barry1963 wrote

You mean seamless roaming? Seamless roaming does not depend on a mesh network, but on client support of 802.11k/v, which is used in Omada solution to implement seamless roaming. If clients don't support 802.11k/v, they fall back to basic roaming, which just requires to set up the same ESSID and WiFi security mode on all 3 EAPs (which is also a requirement for seamless roaming).

Meshing is the way to go if you cannot run a cable to the EAP, but note that a mesh does not increase the client capacity of the wireless network. This means that the maximum number of concurrent users/clients for the whole mesh network is the same as for a single EAP225 (~60 to 80 clients depending on the usage pattern). Thus, meshing will extend the WiFi coverage, but not the client capacity.

As for setting up a mesh, you can refer to the Omada Controller User's Guide, chapter 3.1.4, page 48.

There is a FAQ about meshing here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2283/

This post describes fast roaming, which is another term for seamless roaming: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/322

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?
2020-07-01 02:21:16

@Barry1963 

Thank you R1D2, I will look into those links.

Options
Re:Any video or good detailed intructions to set up a EAP225 (outdoor) Mesh network?
2020-10-02 16:50:13

@R1D2 

Hi, i have a question also. please help me,

I have 3 EAP225 outdoor units and i want to set up a Mesh network. This will be an outdoor network maybe about 50-70 meters between each unit, and the fist one(eap225) will be attach to network cable(LAN) to a switch and this switch is getting the IP's and internet from the router(Mikrotik) and the 2nd AP (eap225) will be getting the connection from the 1st AP tru wireless, and then the 3rd AP(eap225) will get its connection to the 2nd AP tru wireless also. my question are:

1. how would i connect the 2nd and 3rd AP wirelessly? is it automatically be connected when we use same SSID?, because it seems that eap255 had no bridge mode. (sorry i only use comfast as bridge before)

2. can i just use omada software and install it to my pc to setup the mesh? What would happen to the 2nd and 3rd AP if will turn off my computer where the omada software is installed? can i still connect my phone to the 3rd AP even if no omada?

3.What if after these setup with omada software on my pc, and later i will install the hardware omada oc200 on the network, do i need to configure again?

4. I want these three AP will get the ip from my mikrotik router and these three AP will be use as HOTPOT voucher type password.. is it possible? will the mesh will be compromise?

5. Can i make two Root AP just for backup incase the other Root AP will be down.

6.My 6th question is just for another idea come into my mind.

Can we use AP CPE220,CPE510,or WBS510 will be the source AP/Internet (it is connected by lan cable from the router) and throw the signal around 1km to the next AP (eap225) and these eap225 will be the Root AP for next mesh setup on that location?

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1625

Replies: 3