EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns
2020-07-08 15:13:50 - last edited 2020-07-08 18:09:53

@JSchnee21 Thanks for the question.  The marina is approximately 500ft x 400ft in dimension, and yes I am loolking to cover the entire area with a single access point.  Previously with a cheap Asus home router, two Sanhuns 2.4 GHz amplifiers and two cheap antennas, we got 2.4 GHz coverage across the entire marina.  That gear started to burn out and was not reliable so time to replace it.

Options
2020-07-08 17:43:18

Hi @Precison23,

I guess I would be more inclined to do a similar setup, but put the CPE and the 225-OD with the existing or upgraded omni antennas at the end of pier B -- if power is available.

Or maybe two or three 225-OD's in your existing location each on separate channels / separate antennas / separate SSID's?

How many boats / Wifi users do you expect?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-07-08 18:06:23

@JSchnee21 Thanks for the reponse.  There are other spots in the marina where there is power (dock power boxes), however the Marina is city owned so we are very limited in what we can do.  As of now we are only allowed to use the pump house.  Ideally I would add 4 more EAP225-OD at each power box in addition to the pumphouse, and add an OC200 controller and create a full Mesh network.  I approached that topic with the marina, however there was no interest in that in their end, so we are stuck with the pump house.

Connected users?  Probably 5-10 at any given time, maybe up to 20-25 max depending on who is in the Marina.

If all else fails, I will buy two new Sanhuns amplifiers, Disable 5.0 GHz on the EAP225-OD, and use the original 2.4 GHz antennas.  I know that will work, I was simply hoping for more with the EAP225-OD.

Options
2020-07-08 20:05:24

@JSchnee21 I'm old guy so I'll offer an old solution.  Years ago we would take linksys wireless devices and put their antennas in a Pringle's cans and then aim the cans at each other.  Worked like a yagi antenna.   Along that line you might try putting a 90 degree piece of sheet metal behind the 225-OC and see if you get better coverage.   :-) 

Heck I have a 225-OD I'm getting ready to install to provide coverage for a blind spot for outside my house and provide little or no coverage inside the house so I may try it myself.  

Options
2020-07-08 20:58:27

@JFND, old solutions still work best until today. We old bones pretty much know why. :-)  yes

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-09 09:13:46 - last edited 2020-07-09 09:41:51

@Precison23 

Would you be also able to confirm what distances are represented in the circle? The heat map seems to show 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 and 180, however it is pretty fuzzy and hard to read. Are those in feet or meters?  Thank you!

the Radiation pattern is diagrammatically representation of the distribution of radiated energy into space, as a function of direction. I'm afraid that there is no distance indicators on the antenna radiation pattern I provided at floor #3, that's all the info I can provided.

BTW, our test engineers conducted a survey based on a national park with the EAP Outdoor, considering the maximum coverage area is the range that wireless throughput declined to 10Mbps, we have the conclusion that the maximum coverage radius can be as long as 200m.

Note: This value is only for reference, the actual maximum coverage area depends on your local outdoor environment, obstacles and electromagnetic environment.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-09 09:39:57

@JSchnee21 

Hi,

I'm wondering if keeping both antennas vertical or one vertical and one horizontal would provide better performance / range?

Whether keeping both antennas vertical or one vertical and on horizontal streamly depends on the actual environment you install it in.

Omni-directional antennas radiate horizontally all around, but are weaker upward or downward as the picture shows.

If you want to extend the wireless coverage in a vertical direction in large extent, we recommend to placing antennas at 45 degrees (diagonally) or 0 degrees (straight out parallel to the floor) which will be more effective. Since antennas always transmit weakly at the base, do not place your wireless client device at the bottom of TP-Link AP.

But when the AP is mounted to a flat surface (like a wall, large cylindrical mast, etc.) and is within 2 or 3 meters of the ground, I'm wondering if keeping both antennas vertical or one vertical and one horizontal would provide better performance / range?

If it's mounted on the wall or to a pole winthin 2 meters of the ground, it's recommended to install keep both vertical to get the best range in horizontal direction.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-09 10:31:13 - last edited 2020-07-09 10:56:06

Fae wrote

If it's mounted on the wall or to a pole winthin 2 meters of the ground, it's recommended to install keep both vertical to get the best range in horizontal direction.

Correct. The distance between both antennas should be λ/2, which is roughly 3cm for 5 GHz.

Mounting the EAP225-OD on a wall or pole influences its radiation pattern. You can improve it by offsetting the EAP somewhat from the wall/pole. For the marina installation see JFND's tip in post #15.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-09 13:15:27 - last edited 2020-07-09 13:16:16

Fae wrote

Whether keeping both antennas vertical or one vertical and on horizontal streamly depends on the actual environment you install it in. 

Omni-directional antennas radiate horizontally all around, but are weaker upward or downward as the picture shows.

If you want to extend the wireless coverage in a vertical direction in large extent, we recommend to placing antennas at 45 degrees (diagonally) or 0 degrees (straight out parallel to the floor) which will be more effective. Since antennas always transmit weakly at the base, do not place your wireless client device at the bottom of TP-Link AP.

@Fae Thank you for this information, this helps a great deal.  BTW this forum is awesome, and the infirmation I am getting has been fantastic. Very pleased with that.

The EAP225-OD is mounted on a short pole, off the roof of the pumphouse, about 3m/9-10 feet above the gound.  Here is a picture:

I started with the antennas both vertical and then repositioned them to 45 degrees.  I will try putting them back in a vertical position, that makes the most sense to me in that I am broadcasting 100% horizontally across water with no need for vertical coverage.  Please note the two larger antennas in the background are disconnected and no longer in use.

Options
2020-07-09 13:36:03

@Fae Thank you for the response.  My question still stands, on the "Mapped 3D" color charts there are markings for 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 and 180.  What do those represent?

Options
Related Articles