EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:EAP225-OD antenna radiation patterns
2020-07-09 15:51:28

Hi @Fae,

"BTW, our test engineers conducted a survey based on a national park with the EAP Outdoor, considering the maximum coverage area is the range that wireless throughput declined to 10Mbps, we have the conclusion that the maximum coverage radius can be as long as 200m.

Note: This value is only for reference, the actual maximum coverage area depends on your local outdoor environment, obstacles and electromagnetic environment."

That's great information :

Is there / could there be an application note for this?

That covers:

1) Make model and hardware revision

2) Firmware revision

3) Mounting height an antenna orientation (recommendations -- assuming flat land, and hand held STA's)

4) relationship between -- frequency, channel, channel width, transmit power, etc. and distance

For example, I seem to be getting more like 100 feet at most for my 225-OD on the 5.8GHz band with my install (EAP is connected via MESH to 225V3-Indoor).  This is line of site, flat ground, with no obstacles to my hand held iPhone XS Max.

EAP225-Outdoor(US)

1.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 35383

Auto(1) / 8 dBm

Auto(149) / 20 dBm

The EAP is mounted to a plastic fence post approximate 5.5 to 6.0 feet off the ground.  STA is hand held, around 4 - 5 feet off the ground.  I get slightly better range with both antennas vertical and slightly better speeds with the 45 degree config.

This currently suits my needs just fine -- Wifi for my outdoor property.  I'm sure I would probably get better range on 2.4GHz as well.  But no where near 100 meters.  Increasinf my mounting height to 6 or 7 feed would probably help some as well.

Originally I had the AP mounted higher (~10 feet) on a wooden post (4x4).  This was much worse as most of my clients were then lower than the unit.  And the solid wood 4x4 (which extended up another 5 feet or so -- second story deck) seemed to be causing significant interference / attenuation.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-07-09 22:41:54 - last edited 2020-07-09 22:43:51

I've got one mounted on a 10' piece of conduit on a low hill at my daughters house and you can get a usable signal at the highway which is about 550 ft from the antenna.

Options
2020-07-10 11:26:39

@Precison23 

@Fae Thank you for the response.  My question still stands, on the "Mapped 3D" color charts there are markings for 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 and 180.  What do those represent?

They represent θ (degrees), 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150° and 180°. Hope this info helps.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-10 11:30:35

@JSchnee21 

I would add the application note if there is, but I'm sorry that's all the info I have for now.

P.S. the value I provided is only for reference, you may deploy the EAP outdoor and adjust the antenna according to the actual environment.

JSchnee21 wrote

Hi @Fae,

"BTW, our test engineers conducted a survey based on a national park with the EAP Outdoor, considering the maximum coverage area is the range that wireless throughput declined to 10Mbps, we have the conclusion that the maximum coverage radius can be as long as 200m.

Note: This value is only for reference, the actual maximum coverage area depends on your local outdoor environment, obstacles and electromagnetic environment."

That's great information :

Is there / could there be an application note for this?

That covers:

1) Make model and hardware revision

2) Firmware revision

3) Mounting height an antenna orientation (recommendations -- assuming flat land, and hand held STA's)

4) relationship between -- frequency, channel, channel width, transmit power, etc. and distance

For example, I seem to be getting more like 100 feet at most for my 225-OD on the 5.8GHz band with my install (EAP is connected via MESH to 225V3-Indoor).  This is line of site, flat ground, with no obstacles to my hand held iPhone XS Max.

EAP225-Outdoor(US)

1.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 35383

Auto(1) / 8 dBm

Auto(149) / 20 dBm

The EAP is mounted to a plastic fence post approximate 5.5 to 6.0 feet off the ground.  STA is hand held, around 4 - 5 feet off the ground.  I get slightly better range with both antennas vertical and slightly better speeds with the 45 degree config.

This currently suits my needs just fine -- Wifi for my outdoor property.  I'm sure I would probably get better range on 2.4GHz as well.  But no where near 100 meters.  Increasinf my mounting height to 6 or 7 feed would probably help some as well.

Originally I had the AP mounted higher (~10 feet) on a wooden post (4x4).  This was much worse as most of my clients were then lower than the unit.  And the solid wood 4x4 (which extended up another 5 feet or so -- second story deck) seemed to be causing significant interference / attenuation.

-Jonathan

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Related Articles