Omada Controller 4.1.5 - Mail Server Settings Misleading; Unable to disable CCing the Sender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada Controller 4.1.5 - Mail Server Settings Misleading; Unable to disable CCing the Sender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-16 13:40:54

In Omada Controller 4.1.5, the Mail Server settings are a bit misleading.  It says that the "Sender Address" is optional but it is actually not optional.  I am trying to configure mail so it doesn't CC the sender.  I would prefer it if the emails only went to the expected recipient and not CC the sender which is what I thought not including the sender would do but it would appear that is not the case.

DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.4.7
DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Oracle]
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth false
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "mailhub.casa.mbentley.net", port 25, isSSL false
220 blackbox.casa.mbentley.net ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "mailhub.casa.mbentley.net", port: 25

EHLO omada
250-blackbox.casa.mbentley.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-SMTPUTF8
250 CHUNKING
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "PIPELINING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SIZE", arg "10240000"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "VRFY", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ETRN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "STARTTLS", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "8BITMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "DSN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SMTPUTF8", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "CHUNKING", arg ""
2020-07-16 08:39:11 [email-task-1] [INFO]-[SourceFile:101] - Send mail exception Failed to send a email: null

Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada Controller 4.1.5 - Mail Server Settings Misleading; Unable to disable CCing the Sender
2020-07-16 16:02:57 - last edited 2020-07-16 16:11:54

mbentley,

Omada SDN Controller seems to even send a CC to the username set for authentication if authentication is used. That's indeed pretty bad.

What's more, this »hostname« in the EHLO message:

EHLO omada

prevents the MTA from using strict hostname checking setting which is used by mail providers to mitigate against spam mails.

Suggested fix: Omada Controller should let one specify what hostname to use in HELO/EHLO messages.

Fae, please can you add this to the list of bugs? I did report this to support already twice in last two years among other bugs regarding the mail submissions ports (see post #2 in this thread).

Additionally, in SDN controller it's not possible anymore to specify official SMTP submission port 587 and there is no way to send TLS-encrypted mail to port 25 using STARTTLS.

Suggested fixes: Allow the user to define the SMTP port, don't force any port numbers (setting a default is o.k., but it then should be either port 25 or port 587, not port 465). Also don't change the port number if SSL/TSL encryption is selected. We admins know better than Omada Controller what ports our own MTA uses for mail submission.

This should really be fixed, since it violates the SMTP standard.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Omada Controller 4.1.5 - Mail Server Settings Misleading; Unable to disable CCing the Sender
2020-07-16 16:09:15

@R1D2 Hah, that's indeed odd.

When setting up the mail configuration I first used a username/password combo, but then sending a test email failed.

Only after changing that to email/password it worked.

Options
2020-07-16 16:44:57 - last edited 2020-07-16 16:50:18

ASCII, it's really weird. An username for SMTP authentication should never be passed into a Cc: header.

I use something like »omada@localhost« as authentication username – initially used by a controller running on the same sever as the MTA –, which then gets rewritten to »omada@our.full.domain« when seen in Cc: header even if the mail is actually being submitted by an Omada Controller running on a remote site. Of course, this role account has no mailbox at all.

As for username/emailaddr in authentication credentials: are you using SASL? If so, it needs a domain specification (»localhost« or »full.domain«) for certain MTAs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-20 13:25:42

@R1D2 

Fae, please can you add this to the list of bugs? I did report this to support already twice in last two years among other bugs regarding the mail submissions ports (see post #2 in this thread).

Thanks for your valued feedback and thoughtful suggestions. This has been forwarded to the product department who will evaluate it. Thank you for all.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-13 19:37:39

@Fae 

Is there any update on this? I noticed it today when setting up the mail server. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2344

Replies: 5