WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull

WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull

57 Reply
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull
2020-12-23 01:08:39

Dear @CarbonPepper,

May I check the current firmware version of your Omada EAP? How about the version of your Omada Controller?

There was new firmware released for the EAP245 V3 and Omada Software Controller last week.

You may upgrade the firmware of your EAP and upgrade the Omada Controller to have a try.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull
2020-12-23 16:22:38

@Fae Thanks, 

Controller version was:

Controller Version:4.1.5
Model:OC200 1.0
Firmware Version:1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609

Hardware Controller Firmware
Current Version: OC200 1.0

After upgrade

----------------
Controller Version:4.2.4
Model:OC200 1.0
Firmware Version:1.7.1 Build 20201016 Rel.62818

Hardware Controller Firmware

Current Version:  [CHECK FOR UPGRADE]

I will observe for improvements.

Options
2020-12-23 20:14:29

@CarbonPepper There is another newer controller, 4.2.8 but it hasn't hit the oc200 yet, only standalone.  @Fae any idea when it will come to oc200?

Options
2020-12-23 21:07:07

@sjon 

At the end of the day..I bought the OC200 to control the three Omada AP's.

However still the same.. lots of WPA authentication failures.

All AP's have been restarted several times. HW reset done and loaded from the OC200 again.

When moving my smartphone, most often I find myself runing on 4G+ instead of WiFi as it can not roam between the AP's.

Looking to the logs it appears there are WPA authentication errors.

When I change fixed Mac.address to use random Mac. address it will most often connect.

When close to the AP and wait long enough I can connect, so the AP/SSID/accespassword is correct (more over.. the SSID's are maintained on one place: the OC200 so must be all set to the same)

The DHCP service is comming from Edgemax.

I must say - sofar i'm disappointed by the wifi quality of these omada AP's. I could think of that 3 AP's must be able to cooperate and cover an average size home. However the 5 GHz seems to be low powered

Options
2020-12-24 04:05:45

Dear @sjon,

At the end of the day..I bought the OC200 to control the three Omada AP's.

However still the same.. lots of WPA authentication failures.

All AP's have been restarted several times. HW reset done and loaded from the OC200 again.

Sorry for any trouble caused. I've reported your case to the R&D team for further investigation.

May I check the firmware of your OC200 and EAPs? Could you draw a simple network topology to show us how the devices are connected? How many wireless clients are usually connected to APs?

I could think of that 3 AP's must be able to cooperate and cover an average size home. However the 5 GHz seems to be low powered

How far are the 3 EAPs away from each other? Where are they installed, on the ceiling or on the wall? How high are they from the ground? Is there any obstacle like thick walls from the EAP to the wireless clients?

You may refer to this guide to optimize the wireless performance and see if it helps. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2511/ 

Below is the instruction for the coverage of ceiling AP for your reference. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-12 22:51:27

Same problem for me here.

I have a NEW EAP245 and I have the WPA Authentication Timeout on many devices. I am running the latest firmware.

This really makes me mad because I bought this AC1750 to upgrade my Wifi to something faster and now many devices cannot connect. I am not happy. The good news is that I still have the old Wifi AP and so I went back to using that. So did I just waste a bunch of money on this tp-link AP? Do I throw it in the garbage?

Options
2021-01-13 05:50:54

Dear @mackworth,

There is another newer controller, 4.2.8 but it hasn't hit the oc200 yet, only standalone.  @Fae any idea when it will come to oc200?

It has been released for the OC200, please refer to this post.

Options
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull-Solution
2021-01-13 07:48:47 - last edited 2023-11-23 09:22:34

Hi all,

The WPA Authentication Timeout/Failed may be prompted on the Omada SDN Controller in two situations:

• There is a packet loss in the wireless associated handshake process, which causes the handshake process to timeout
  • The wireless password is input wrong when connecting to the SSID on the wireless client.

So please ensure your wireless clients can get a strong signal strength from the SSID, and the wireless password is input correctly first.

Besides, please make sure your Omada Controller and EAPs are all up to date. (The Omada Controller v4.2.8 has been released)

If the signal strength is strong enough and the password is input correctly, please try providing the info below for further analysis.

1. What else phenomenon do you notice in your network except for WPA Authentication times out/failed on the Omada Controller?

2. What devices(brand/model/OS) are you using in your network? What devices are suffering from the problem?

For example, iPhone12 with iOS 14.3, Samsung SM-A217F with Android 10.

3. Does the problem only occur on certain devices or only exist on a specific band (2.4GHz or 5GHz), specific SSID?

4. Does the issue occur regularly and how often would it happen for your case? Can you reproduce the problem steadily?

5. How do you get the devices to be connected finally? Would a reboot help for your case?

6. Do you configure any advanced features like Band Steering, Airtime Fairness, Fast Roaming, Mesh or 802.11 Rate Control?

Note: they are disabled on the Omada Controller by default unless you enable it manually.

7. Are you using Omada Software Controller or OC200? What's the version of the Omada Controller?

For example, Omada Controller v4.2.8 - Windows.

8. How many EAPs do you have in total, what's the detailed firmware version of your EAPs?

For example, only one EAP245 V3 whose firmware is 5.0.0 Build 20200918.

TP-Link team will try the best to figure out the problem, your feedback is much appreciated!

If you have any further clues, please feel free to leave your comments. Thank you for your cooperation and support!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-14 17:49:30

@Fae why I don't get any logs for these WPA Authentication Timeout / Failure?

On Notifications, Client tab, I marked the Alert checkbox for all the authentication failed / expired, but still no Logs. I wonder if the 62 issues I have are related to a password thing, but I have no way of figuring out the device..

Also, I realized that number increases as I'm roaming, and roaming doesn't seem to be as fast as used to be. I'm on a conference call and it drops for about half a second when I roam from one AP to another: 3 stories house, 1 AP per floor, wall mounted at the height of about 11 inches.

3 EAP 225 v3 firmware 5.0.0 Build 20200918 Rel. 58628 - (wired to a TL-SG108PE 2.0 switch)

Omada Controller 4.2.8 running on an Ubuntu Linux x86

Options
2021-01-14 20:46:37

Reply'n to the question on my config.

2 AP are in-house: wooden floors. Stone walls.

1 on base ground, on 2 m from floor on the wall in the corridor of the house. The other one is at the 2nd floor (ceiling),

1 AP outside

Distance between the AP

All AP's are full power at 5 Ghz.

On base ground being on the other side of the wall of the corridor the AP does not get with the 5 Ghz power. The AP from outside does a beter job getting the signal passing through the windows. Makes the living room working on 2,4 GHz and less likely to get to the 5 GHz of any AP.

Bad connection experience is when at the same time the WPA timeouts are reported.

I just happen to read there is an upgrade, so I did apply these yesterday. Looking at the report of 1 day it looks like the amount of WPA authentication timeout has reduced.  Will keep an eye on it and see if i can again have a common SSID on both bands on all AP's. As i learning in the past when i do so connection was terrible. Only improved when every AP has a unique SSID in a specific Ghz band.

Controller Version   4.2.8
Model : OC200 1.0
Firmware Version : 1.7.3 Build 20201119 Rel.63433

AP's:
EAP245(EU) v3.0
EAP245(EU) v3.0
EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v1.0
Options