seamless roaming with access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 12:24:10 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:10:03
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20

Hello,

Do i need to connect my access points to my switch or should I not connect them but connect my access points through wifi?

I don't have a TP link router or switch, nor do i have the OC200 but i'm using the Omada software. My router doesn't have wifi enabled (and i'm not sure if even supports OneMesh, i was hoping this would work between my access points).

I'm trying to set up a wireless network using the EAP225-outdoor, EAP245 and EAP225. According to the TPlink webpage at least the first 2 models supports seamless roaming, according to Google this would refer to supporting IEEE 802.11k, 802.11v 802.11r. Looking up those standards gives me https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/Chapter-11.html as one of the results. According to the drawings on the site, I see 2 access points connected to a switch and some configuration options.

When I try to apply this for my TPlink access points I got stuck on https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/re190_v4/chapter-3-onemesh-with-seamless-roaming#ug-sub-title-1 & https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/re190_v4/chapter-2-set-up-internet-connection#ug-sub-title-1. It looks like i first need to set up my access point as extender before i can create the onemesh.

Some remarks on the TPlink website make me wonder if what I'm trying to do is even possible or am I maybe missing some equipment?

Note:

Before setting up a OneMesh network, it is recommended to enable Smart Connect on your host router to enjoy a seamless connection between dual-band networks.

Tip:

If your host router does not support OneMesh, you need to reselect a host network first. Go to Tools > Host Network and click Reselect Host Network, and then follow the app instructions to complete the configuration.

Note:

802.11k/v/r take effect only when the wireless clients support 802.11k/v/r as well.

Now we can enable/disable fast roaming via OC200 & Omada Controller & Omada APP. If Omada Controller or OC200 accidentially shuts down, then fast roaming will not work.

wkr

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:seamless roaming with access points-Solution
2020-10-09 10:23:23 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:10:03

@ldk, you are confusing different techniques used by different devices with techniques used by Omada EAPs.

First of all, Omada EAPs do not support OneMesh. They support Omada mesh which is something completely different.

Next, some Auranet CAP and Omada EAP models support seamless roaming aka fast roaming according to 802.11k/v. Seamless roaming does not require a mesh network. Seamless roaming is seamless roaming and Omada mesh is Omada mesh. Those are different functions which can be used independently of each other. Roaming with Pre-authentication according to 802.11r is not support by any Omada EAP at this time.

Omada EAPs are just access points and as such they need to have a wired connection to a network. Even if you use an Omada mesh, the mesh root node needs to have a wired connection to a network. Currently, only EAP245, EAP225 and EAP225-Outdoor support Omada mesh.

What Google, Cisco or RE190 pages say about OneMesh and seamless roaming is completely meaningless for Omada products.

I recommend to read the documentation for Omada EAPs if you want to know what functions Omada EAPs do support:

Frequently Asked Questions about EAP Mesh Network: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2283/

What is Fast Roaming of TP-Link Business Wi-Fi Products: https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2097/

Fast Roaming Keeps Connection Consistent: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/322

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-09 10:42:45 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:10:05

Dear @ldk,

The OneMesh is used for TP-Link SOHO products, it can only be configured on the TP-Link SOHO products listed in the compatibility list

https://www.tp-link.com/One-Mesh/compatibility

While the Omada EAPs are Business WiFi products, EAP225_V3, EAP225-Outdoor_V1 and EAP245_V3 support 802.11k/V Fast Roaming feature. Just like the Note you found, you can enable fast roaming via Omada Controller, and the fast roaming feature requires the Controller to keep running.

What is Fast Roaming of TP-Link Business Wi-Fi Products

Note:

802.11k/v/r take effect only when the wireless clients support 802.11k/v/r as well.

Now we can enable/disable fast roaming via OC200 & Omada Controller & Omada APP. If Omada Controller or OC200 accidentially shuts down, then fast roaming will not work.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
2020-10-09 10:23:23 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:10:03

@ldk, you are confusing different techniques used by different devices with techniques used by Omada EAPs.

First of all, Omada EAPs do not support OneMesh. They support Omada mesh which is something completely different.

Next, some Auranet CAP and Omada EAP models support seamless roaming aka fast roaming according to 802.11k/v. Seamless roaming does not require a mesh network. Seamless roaming is seamless roaming and Omada mesh is Omada mesh. Those are different functions which can be used independently of each other. Roaming with Pre-authentication according to 802.11r is not support by any Omada EAP at this time.

Omada EAPs are just access points and as such they need to have a wired connection to a network. Even if you use an Omada mesh, the mesh root node needs to have a wired connection to a network. Currently, only EAP245, EAP225 and EAP225-Outdoor support Omada mesh.

What Google, Cisco or RE190 pages say about OneMesh and seamless roaming is completely meaningless for Omada products.

I recommend to read the documentation for Omada EAPs if you want to know what functions Omada EAPs do support:

Frequently Asked Questions about EAP Mesh Network: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2283/

What is Fast Roaming of TP-Link Business Wi-Fi Products: https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2097/

Fast Roaming Keeps Connection Consistent: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/322

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-09 10:42:45 - last edited 2020-10-16 03:10:05

Dear @ldk,

The OneMesh is used for TP-Link SOHO products, it can only be configured on the TP-Link SOHO products listed in the compatibility list

https://www.tp-link.com/One-Mesh/compatibility

While the Omada EAPs are Business WiFi products, EAP225_V3, EAP225-Outdoor_V1 and EAP245_V3 support 802.11k/V Fast Roaming feature. Just like the Note you found, you can enable fast roaming via Omada Controller, and the fast roaming feature requires the Controller to keep running.

What is Fast Roaming of TP-Link Business Wi-Fi Products

Note:

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:seamless roaming with access points
2020-10-15 19:23:22

Hi,

Both answers were very useful. I didn't have the time yet to continue the configuration yet though.

What I already understood from both answers is that:

- EAP225_V3, EAP225-Outdoor_V1 and EAP245_V3 support the roaming (which are the devices I have), but i need to configure them correctly.

- The router / switch I'm using don't matter.

- Access point need to remain connected through a wire to my switch (as it's a POE capable switch solves also the power cable problems).

- I either need to buy the OC200 or install a VM with the software running on my nas (i'm not going to keep my desktop where I currently installed the software powered on all the time), however as long as I'm testing and keep my desktop powered it should be fine.

- I'm indeed confused and wrongly understanding it but now I need to read the links you gave me to try to figure it out.

Already very thankfull you gave references!!!

wkr

Options
2020-10-24 20:26:56

I just reinstalled the Omada soft and reinstalled it, restarted from 0 and now it all works fine!!!! I even bought the OC200, and it still keeps working fine. I think i was looking too far and eventually overlooking the real problem....

Options
2020-11-26 23:44:27

@ldk 

I would kindly ask your opinion to make sure I'm using all the functionalities I have invested for. :)

I just installed in my apartament a new Omada network: OC-200 hardware controller, 3 x EAP245 v3, 1 x EAP225 Outdoor. I used web broser Omadatplinkcloud and also ipad version of Omada app. All devices are connected to the switch TP-LINK TL-SG1016D, which has no PoE, therefore I had to use the power adapter for all AP

After I connected the CO_200 and all the AP,  I upgraded all the firmware to the latest version.

Then I adopted the AP in the controller, renamed them based on the room they are located.

My first question is: do I have to do any setup to enable the seamless Fast Roaming? I couldn't find anything... how can I be sure that it is working properly? If i walk through the home while conferincing online, I see 2 max 3 seconds "reconnection", is this normal?

Second question, in the Topology view, the EAP225 is shown connected to one of the eap245 with a dash line, while I expected it to be visibile like the other 3; not only, it is the only AP with the "3 lines wireless" icon next to the green status "Connected", I couldn't find any reference to it, is there anything wrong?

Thank you for your support!

Options
2020-11-27 01:09:25

Dear @antnas,

My first question is: do I have to do any setup to enable the seamless Fast Roaming? I couldn't find anything... 

Please go to Settings > Site, enable Advanced Features in Services first. Then enable Fast Roaming (it's disabled by default).

Second question, in the Topology view, the EAP225 is shown connected to one of the eap245 with a dash line, while I expected it to be visibile like the other 3; not only, it is the only AP with the "3 lines wireless" icon next to the green status "Connected", I couldn't find any reference to it, is there anything wrong?

Dash line indicates the EAP is wirelessly connected to the other EAP. It seems that the EAP225 is working with the mesh feature.

Note: The EAP225 V3 and EAP245 V3 support Mesh feature (enabled in Controller by default), which allows you to deploy the EAP wirelessly.

The LAN port currently is not detecting a working cable connection, so that it's working wirelessly. If you want the EAP225 to work with a wired connection like the other 3, please check the LAN connection between the EAP225 and the switch, you may try a different port on the switch, change a different cable, swap the power adapter with the other working one for checking.

Besides, when you couldn't find where to configure it or what it means in the Omada Controller, the User Guide may help you.

Options
2020-11-29 12:05:56

@Fae Thank you so much, it worked perfect and there is no more even minimum interruption from when i keep crossing access points! And thank you for the clarification on mesh, you were right, the cable was not properly inserted, I fixed it and it went right. This gave me a better idea how to cover areas that are not reached by cables, I'll bridge with mesh connection.

Thank you!!

Options
2020-11-30 02:12:22

Dear @antnas,

Thank you so much, it worked perfect and there is no more even minimum interruption from when i keep crossing access points! And thank you for the clarification on mesh, you were right, the cable was not properly inserted, I fixed it and it went right. This gave me a better idea how to cover areas that are not reached by cables, I'll bridge with mesh connection.

Welcome and glad to hear that your concern was resolved finally. Your kind feedback is much appreciated!

Hope you enjoy the Internet with TP-Link products. Have a nice day!

Options
2020-11-30 08:02:08

@antnas Hello,

I'm not a network expert, just a fanatic who tries to understand it :) You need the omada software somewhere to be active to keep your seamless fast roaming, that is why i bought the OC200 controller to keep it active. (you could use a computer and install the software.... but that uses more power)

I'm not sure I understand your 2nd question....

Options
2020-11-30 09:12:09

@ldk thank you, yes oc-200 makes life much easier (I'm not network expert as well and lack of people offering services forced me to dig into the topic to create a robust home wifi). The second question was related to the access point that by mistake was not properly connect via cable, it showed a "wireless" sign after "connect" status, it means it was connected to the LAN through another access point via wireless. The topology map is visible in the web broser application, there you have a graphic representation of your network.

Happy to explain more details if needed :) becoming expert :) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 19327

Replies: 18

Related Articles