Change Wifi password programmatically (standalone)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-23 16:42:30
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Has anyone tinkered with changing the password of a SSID programmatically? I wonder if it can be done by either ssh operations or just plainly sending http requests to the standalone controller.

Before reinventing the wheel I'd like to check if this has been done before.

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Change Wifi password programmatically (standalone)
2020-10-24 14:23:28

Welcome @joe-wifi,

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible the "ssh capability" doesn't give you admin/CLI access like you would think (and I thought) it would.

A better solution might be to have an SSID password rotation feature in Omada / OC200 to schedule the password to change based on a list, etc.  Though I think you can currently schedule SSID's to turn on and off on a schedule.  I wondering if you could configure it to turn on and off multiple copies of the same WLAN config (aka set(s) of SSID) that are all essentially the same, save for their passwords.

Is this for some sort of voucher application where you don't want repeat customers (or squatters) to remember the password from before?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-25 13:07:54 - last edited 2020-10-25 13:08:32

Hello and thanks.

In few words I just don't like captive portals and I prefer to have different wifi password every day. Imagine everyday clerk/operators get an email with the new password and they know to hand out that one if guests arrive.

I implemented this system this morning. Works perfectly with a simple script sending http requests to the eap unit (given the ssh is rather limited with its default users/permissions and it would take me longer to reverse engineer that). If anyone is interested I'll share it on github.

Obviously if tp-link is reading this, please consider adding this as a feature! Daily email rotation with email sent with new password! Until then I'll just have a docker running with a cron at midnight with the above script.

Cheers

Options
2020-10-26 07:52:35

Dear @joe-wifi,

Obviously if tp-link is reading this, please consider adding this as a feature! Daily email rotation with email sent with new password! Until then I'll just have a docker running with a cron at midnight with the above script.

Thank you so much for your creative suggestion! I've written it down for future evaluation.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-12-19 13:40:11

@joe-wifi 

I am looking for a solution to programmatically change the wifi password on a remote omada controller.  Will you share your GitHub code with me?  Also is there a rest api for the omada controller where I can accomplish this task?  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1401

Replies: 4