Unknown IP address for Devices Pending Authentication using Hotspot Voucher

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-24 01:31:54 - last edited 2020-10-26 09:54:45
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609

I noticed one Device under Pending authentication having diff IP Address as shown in the picture. My setup is Omada SDN OC200 controller with mesh EAP225 Outdoor. Usually scenario all devices under Pending status of my voucher authentication configured hotspot having the same IP Address. While the one unit where I powered on my EAP225 on their house having unusual IP addresses. Is there's a possibility they have connected one AP on the wired Lan port of the POE Adaptor (since my eap installed to their house is connected via mesh?) I need help on how to identify if someone connecting Access point via lan port of POE on the omada sdn controller oc200 and eap225 outdoor mesh in network.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unknown IP address for Devices Pending Authentication using Hotspot Voucher-Solution
2020-10-26 06:11:16 - last edited 2020-10-26 09:54:45

Dear @JhonneL,

Is there's a possibility they have connected one AP on the wired Lan port of the POE Adaptor (since my eap installed to their house is connected via mesh?) 

I don't think so as there is no device shown under the wired connection list. If they have connected one AP on the wired LAN port of the PoE adapter, the AP should be shown in the wired connection list.

If you worry about the device with unknown IP address, try to block it from the controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Unknown IP address for Devices Pending Authentication using Hotspot Voucher-Solution
2020-10-26 06:11:16 - last edited 2020-10-26 09:54:45

Dear @JhonneL,

Is there's a possibility they have connected one AP on the wired Lan port of the POE Adaptor (since my eap installed to their house is connected via mesh?) 

I don't think so as there is no device shown under the wired connection list. If they have connected one AP on the wired LAN port of the PoE adapter, the AP should be shown in the wired connection list.

If you worry about the device with unknown IP address, try to block it from the controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unknown IP address for Devices Pending Authentication using Hotspot Voucher
2020-10-26 10:01:18

@Fae thank you for this clarification and info related to my concern on the possibility client connect AP to my Poe LAN Adaptor.

I have other concern since I'm running a small hobby business for voucher internet where it designs in the controller as a single device per voucher authentication. I do experimental one of my clients having a valid voucher activated to my wi-fi hotspot. He does share his internet from a mobile device via hotspot of mobile phone using android mobile phone, and other devices whom he shared the access on his mobile phone having internet access without purchasing a voucher since they access the valid device with voucher.

My question is there's a way to block those types of ad-hoc connections in my Omada controller sdn where I can't see their device or mac in my network? Or is there's a way at least to identify them or become visible to the hotspot network for my voucher hotspot? I know this is out of know where question by theory might thinking some tools to check that user who do share wifi from their mobile device which are active voucher users.

Please advise.

Thank You.

Options
2020-11-02 06:14:57

Dear @JhonneL,

My question is there's a way to block those types of ad-hoc connections in my Omada controller sdn where I can't see their device or mac in my network? Or is there's a way at least to identify them or become visible to the hotspot network for my voucher hotspot? I know this is out of know where question by theory might thinking some tools to check that user who do share wifi from their mobile device which are active voucher users.

I don't think the Omada Controller can tell that there are other devices connected from a shared mobile hotspot network, because the Controller cannot see those devices at all, but can only see the device which is exactly connected with an authorized voucher.

If your major purpose is to prevent those devices from taking up too many bandwidths, maybe you can set Traffic Limit for each voucher.

Options
2020-11-02 19:09:47
Thank you Fae on your followup response to this thread. I do the same traffic limited from omada controller sdn, from voucher creation and from eap 225 outdoor, noticeable authenticated cp or devices can't control by the tplink omada system. What i'v done as last resort to limit those bandwidth suckers legal devices taking much of data is use the QOS services of my Asus RT-AX88U router and it works. but from my experience with Omada SDN I can say those authenticated hotspot vouchers devices somehow able to still able to suck band with out of given limit sets.
Options
2020-11-02 19:18:28
Hello Fae I have an update to you regarding this scenario. I have my relatives connected to my mesh wireless EAP225 outdoor. Topology is like this Wired 225EAP outdoor> Wireless Link to their 225outdoor EAP which is power by POE Adaptor, from lan port of their POE Adaptor connected patch cable to their Linksys WRTAC1900 WAn port router. My concern is how can I able identified or secure my wired LAN port in a MESH deployed EAP around our community in total of 14 225 EAPoutdoor where the wired interface of 225eap or omada sdn can't show that there's a device connected via lan of poe? there are some places I allowed to connect to their router or extender via poe of 225 eap outdoor mesh AP, but I was challenge what if non authorize device hook to the same poe lan port? I can't see them on omada or even in device even their IP.? what is the control measure we can apply in omada controller SDN on this regards. Please advise and thank you so much.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1080

Replies: 5

Related Articles