Can I attach an EAP 225 to a Powerline adaptor?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 18:42:36 - last edited 2020-11-09 01:57:22
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a router at the far end of a substantial building and use a Powerline adaptor to bring WiFi to the other end. I would like to extend WiFi out beyond the end of the building. Can I use the adaptor to supply ethernet or do I have to hardwire Ethernet back to the router. Presumably I have to supply power over Ethernet for the EAP225. What is the simplest way to do this? Should it be passive or active? I am a relative novice at this. Help appreciated in layman’s terms if possible.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I attach an EAP 225 to a Powerline adaptor?
2020-11-10 09:25:23

Dear @Derkhead,

Can I use the adaptor to supply ethernet or do I have to hardwire Ethernet back to the router. 

The EAP225 is a wireless access point, which could share the WiFi signal by connecting to an Internet prepared cable.

If the powerline adapter's Ethernet can provide direct Internet access, I believe it can feed the Internet to the EAP225.

Presumably I have to supply power over Ethernet for the EAP225. What is the simplest way to do this? Should it be passive or active?

We can check the specification of the specific model from the TP-Link official website.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap225-outdoor/#specifications

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap225/#specifications

For EAP225 (or EAP225-Outdoor), it would come with a passive PoE adapter in the package.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-10 11:48:26 - last edited 2020-11-10 11:51:04

@Derkhead 

Hey

Yes you can do this without issue, but note the homeplugs wont be as quick as a direct AP to Switch patching if you are running high traffic.

Only know this because I used 2x AC2000 home plugs to temporarily bring the AP online while I was getting motived to run the actual cables :)

Your AP should come with a Passive adaptor in the box, just connect this AFTER the homeplugs (between receiver plug and AP).

Options
2020-11-11 18:43:06

Hi @Derkhead,

Just as an FYI, you can use MOCA in the same way.  I use MOCA for one of my EAP245V3's as an "Ethernet Extender."  The ActionTec MOCA 2.5 support full, real gigabit throughput over standard coaxial cable (aka cable TV cable).

Generally speaking, MOCA is faster and more reliable than power line.  But typically a bit more expensive.  You also need splitters which support >1GHz frequence pass through.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1120

Replies: 3