SDN Platform - Not a fan

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

SDN Platform - Not a fan

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
SDN Platform - Not a fan
SDN Platform - Not a fan
2020-11-10 21:27:41 - last edited 2020-11-10 21:39:56
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20200430 Rel.52621

Is anyone else as much of a hater of the new SDN platform as I am?

I have a small SOHO network with a controller and two EAP245's. I planned to buy a third or fourth AP, but the change to SDN gives me pause. I have around 25 wirelessly connected devices on my network. I started with the controller running on my Raspberry Pi, but after a while I decided a dedicated device would be better for my network and so I purchased an OC200. The thing ran great.

But when new firmware for EAP245's and the OC200 came out, I upgraded my controller and AP's to the new SDN platform and went through the forced re-configuring of everything just to find that I did not like it. Despite backing up my config, I still had to set it up all over again. The new interface had nicer charts and graphs, but too much space was taken up with features I don't need and can't use, like managing TP-link switches and routers (I use an EdgeRouter 4 for my network). On the old platform, even though a previous update broke expectations on how a guest/client-isolated network should work, @R1D2 provided the necessary steps to fix it. If I remember correctly, this set up was even worse on the SDN platform.

After a few days, I reverted back to the old controller firmware, v1.2.3, and I've much happier. The interface is much simpler and easier to use, and very very stable. Unfortunately, this keeps my EAP245's stuck on older firmware as well. They've already removed the ability to connect to the controller locally with the mobile app. I'm worried that at some point I'll miss out on important security updates and features.

The last update to the previous platform was June 2020. Are there any plans to continue to update the previous platform?

Or, have those of you that updated to SDN learned to like it over time? If so, what features do you like over the previous platform?

Options
3 Reply
Re:SDN Platform - Not a fan
2020-11-11 13:55:30

Hi @rockin,

I agree with you, but, I'm trying to keep an open mind given that the SDN interface is a brand new product (unlike the older Omada SW) and the current release is the first initial public offering.  I know R1D2 and others are working hard to provide good feedback to TP-Link to improve the product, and let's not forget that it is free.

But I totally agree with you.  The interface is horribly cluttered with features and capabilities that are unusable unless you have the full suite of SDN compatible equipment (much of which isn't available yet, or is only just becoming available).  And even if you do, the functionality exposed in the SDN interface is significantly less than what can be done from the Web GUI's of unmanaged devices.

I'm torn, because I like being able to see what is possible, for example, if I purchased a managed switch or gateway (I actually did actually buy a switch because of this) -- like in a demo mode or similar.  But I would also like to be able to hide all of the stuff I cannot do so that I can actually find the relevant functionality for the hardware I have.  This could be accomplished with a setup wizard or various user profiles which hide / only display "opted in" equipment or feature sets.

I would also like to be able to add unmanaged / non-TP-Link network components to the connectivity tree for documentation purposes and potentially basic health checks (e.g. ping, perhaps SNMP).  Reporting and notification options for both Omada and the SDN still seem woefully inadequate.

I do miss the older Omada software mainly because I was comfortable with it, and because it was "simpler."  That is to say, it only managed the EAP aspect of the puzzle.  The new SDN software is a much more ambitious offering.

There should be a new SDN version out any day now.  I see the stand alone software on the update page, but the version for the OC-200 hasn't been released yet.  I'm sure the SDN will continue to improve, but TP-Link is generally "more methodical" with their software updates -- typically every 4 to 6 months.

So, in summary, I would say that I applaud TP-Link's effort.  I think the value they offer for the price is incredible.  And their software is still a lot better than Cisco (-:

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-11 14:02:14 - last edited 2020-11-11 14:03:35

I should add,

That as a SOHO user myself (2xEAP245, 2xEAP225-OD, T1500G-8T v2.0, OC-200), the SDN is not really for "us" per se.  It's really targeting much larger deployments.

Even Omada, at first, was a little overwhelming -- compared to the simplicity of one or two web management pages.

But as more and more SOHO / Home Power Users / Enthusiasts upgrade, TP-Link might need to consider an "SDN/Omada Light" type application.

I'm also not sure it makes sense to bundle the device firmwares with the management software the way they do.  I'd rather see firmwares be completed separate (but still upgradeable through Omada/SDN) and then update Omada to be compatible with the same "SDN API" that the SDN SW uses so that one could use either management product with the newer firmware.

But, I'm sure they don't want to support both platforms, long term, going forward.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-13 13:04:33

Hi @rockin 

The new OC-200 firmware 1.7.1 just came out.  It incorporates the new Omada SDN version 2.4.2.  TP-Link has definitely made a number of improvements to de-clutter the interface.

I'm still finding my way around, but it does seem like the UI is more dynamic now based on the device hardware you actually have.

I see some new? settings as well:

Settings => Maintenance => User Interface => Fixed Menu

Settings=> Site => Application Scenario (Mine defaulted to "Home" -- not sure what effect these have)

And my email forwarding through Amazon AWS SES is working now!  Yea!

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 421

Replies: 3