Can't ping on separate VLAN but they see in explorer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 22:32:53 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:58
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello gents, sorry for the dumb question, but day by day I'm trying and learning also thanks for your nice help. So I apologize for that but I'm sure I can get help here.

My setup is Router TL-R605 -> Switch TL-SG2428P -> PC1 and PC2 connected each on a switchport. (Controller is OC200 running Omada SDN v4.2.4)

Both PC are running Win10 and are at the moment settled with DHCP ip, so no static IP.

I wanted to have the 2 PC belonging to 2 separate VLAN, let's say VLAN10 and VLAN20 but I also want that they can communicate.

What I have done is to create 2 VLAN interfaces, for PC1 and PC2 as shown below - for PC2 VLAN is 20 and subnet 192.168.20.1/24

Then I have created the 2 profiles (prPC1 and prPC2) as shown below, for prPC1 native PC1 (VLANID=10) and untagged (LAN, PC2, PC1) - for prPC2 native PC2 (VLANID=20) and untagged (LAN, PC1, PC2).

Then I assigned to the switch port where PC1 is connected the profile prPC1 and to PC2 the profile prPC2.

Router port stays on the default profile ALL.

This configuration is actually doing what I want because the 2 computers belongs to 2 different subnet and are in 2 different VLAN, also if I go in explorer they can see each other and can exchange files.

PC1 has IP = 192.168.10.100

PC2 has IP = 192.168.20.200

But if I go on cmd and try from PC1 to ping PC2 or viceversa, with command:

On PC1: ping 192.168.20.200      or

On PC2: ping 192.168.10.100

simply they don't reach each other, i get the message that the request is expired.

if I run ipconfig /all

I get 192.168.x.1 as DHCP server, both DNS Server and default gateway where x is the VLANID

So my questions are:

1) why they can see them in explorer and exchange files but cannot ping ?

2) did I make the correct setup of the VLANs ? is correct to use interfaces instead of simple VLAN (where I was not able to achieve the same result) ?

3) if I want that one PC can talk just with the other VLAN but cannot go on internet how have I to modify the settings ?

Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't ping on separate VLAN but they see in explorer
2020-11-26 12:16:47 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:58

Dear @Xstreem,

1) why they can see them in explorer and exchange files but cannot ping ?

2) did I make the correct setup of the VLANs ? is correct to use interfaces instead of simple VLAN (where I was not able to achieve the same result) ?

3) if I want that one PC can talk just with the other VLAN but cannot go on internet how have I to modify the settings ?

1) Please check the firewall settings on the two PCs, the ping request might be blocked by the firewall.

2) Yes you did and it is correct.

3) Try ACL, block the PC to access the network gateway (this will not only block the internet but all the connection to the gateway)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-26 12:49:44 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:36:58

@Fae thanks for answer Fae, regarding point 1 i already tried disabling the firewall on both computers but nothing changes, regarding point 3 i will try

Options
2021-12-05 03:57:46

@Xstreem Did you figure this issue out? I am having the same issue as yourself I can RDP to a Win10 machine in my secondary VLAN (as per omada defaults) but I simply cannot ping it. I put the primary machine into the secondary machine VLAN and the ping works!

Strangely enough I can ping a chromebook on that same secondary VLAN from the primary so what gives!???

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1735

Replies: 3

Related Articles