TL-R600VPN - dual wan failover when WAN device loses its uplink

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 23:58:19 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:15
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am considering getting one of these routers to load balance (or fail-over) across two WAN devices from two ISP connections.

In this use case each of the WAN devices creates a local LAN, which is what this router would be seeing as WAN-1, and WAN-2.

The WAN devices we have still maintain their local LAN even when they loose the uplink to the ISP, so the TL-R600 would be seeing an IP address from both WANs, and may not see the links as down. (We are still trying to determine if the WAN devices can take down their local LAN when they lose their uplink but we are not getting clear answers).

1- Will the TL-R600 be able to recognize this situation as a failed WAN1? I am assuming I can use ping to some external site as a connection test. (I could also use a DNS query, but I don't know if DNS caching would interfere.)

2- In a 1:1 load-balance mode will the router route ALL sessions to the WAN that has a connection? I would normally expect it to send 100% of the traffic to the live WAN only. (I ask because I've been bitten with another dual-wan router).

Thank you.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-R600VPN - dual wan failover when WAN device loses its uplink
2020-11-27 02:49:19 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:37:15

Dear @oceanbreeze,

1- Will the TL-R600 be able to recognize this situation as a failed WAN1? I am assuming I can use ping to some external site as a connection test. (I could also use a DNS query, but I don't know if DNS caching would interfere.)

I believe yes. The TL-R600VPN has a function called Online Detection, which is used to detect the online status of the WAN port.

With Online Detection function, the router could send DNS Lookup packets to the DNS Server of the WAN port automatically. As long as the Router receive any one of the IP address resolved by the DNS Server, the WAN port would show as Online. Otherwise, the WAN port would show as Offline. Here is the related FAQ for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/701/

2- In a 1:1 load-balance mode will the router route ALL sessions to the WAN that has a connection? I would normally expect it to send 100% of the traffic to the live WAN only. (I ask because I've been bitten with another dual-wan router).

Yes. This was discussed in this post.
>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 906

Replies: 1