Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-03 21:18:32 - last edited 2023-04-25 03:15:43
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Why is the field for Username and Password missing in the client options of OpenVPN Client?

How do i specify the settings to connect to a VPN Provider?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options-Solution
2023-04-25 03:15:40 - last edited 2023-04-25 03:15:43

Hello @Martin_Theobald and other community members,

Martin_Theobald wrote

Why is the field for Username and Password missing in the client options of OpenVPN Client?

I'd like to update this feature request here.

For ER605 V1, the field for Username and Password in the Client options of OpenVPN Client has been added in the following firmware.

ER605 V1_1.2.3_Build 20230413 Beta Firmware For Trial (Released on Apr 14th, 2023)

Notes:

1) If your ER605 v1 is managed by Omada Controller, please ensure that your Controller is updated to v5.6 or later version.

2) For other Omada Routers, please ensure that you've updated to the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6 or above.

Related FAQs:

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Server on Controller Mode

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Server on Standalone Mode

How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Client

Any further issues or questions, please feel free to Start a New Thread from Here.

To get better assistance from Community, you may check Tips For Efficiently Reporting an Issue In The Community.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
50 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2020-12-04 02:20:59 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

Dear @Martin_Theobald,

At present, there is no option for Username and Password for OpenVPN on the TP-Link router. May I know who is your VPN Provider?

Does your VPN Provider offer the Username and Password as well as the OpenVPN file (.ovpn file) to authenticate for Internet access?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-04 02:35:05 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Fae hi my VPN provider is nordvpn and yes it's username and password plus config file.

Options
2020-12-30 18:24:22 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Fae 

When do you expect that option to be available? I purchased a TL-R605 specifically because of the advertised OpenVPN functionality, but it is missing required configuration fields. NordVPN tech support confirms that username and password are required in order for the router to connect to their servers

I am able to connect to NordVPN servers through my QNAP NAS (tutorial here: https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/NAS/1047411102/How-to-configure-QNAP-4-4-2-NAS.htm ). I expect TP Link will have to add similar VPN configuration fields in next firmware update.

File:
VPN config QNAP vs TP Link.jpgDownload
Options
2021-05-14 01:01:34 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Fae 

I have the same issue. I looked into adding the credentials to the openvpn config file but that's not possible as far as i can tell. You can configure the openvpn file to reference another file with credentials but this leads to the same issue. We are missing extra config options in the router UI.

I'm using Omada to configure my router too. 

I tried adjusting this line of my config to have it try to pull a seperate file. But there is no second file upload dialog.

auth-user-pass login.conf

This is would be fine and dandy if i had a openvpn server that was not using credentials and keys, (just keys only). But that's not the case. I need to be able to enter credentials in.

As a side note, the openvpn server component is also lacking in this area. We should be able to have usernames and passwords there too for clients we want to setup. 

Another side note, I can't seem to find the status of the VPN (server or client) in my omada controler. This kind of sucks, can't tell who is connected. Can't tell if i'm connected as a client. Just shows "enabled = green dot". 

Please fix this soon. 

Options
2021-05-20 23:37:50 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@deerskin Agreed. How can they claim the product supports OpenVPN if it lacks support for basic concepts like authentication? What a scam.

Options
2021-05-23 18:52:47 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55
Apparently this is a wide-spread issue that TP-Link needs to address. Many users would like to subscribe to a premium VPN service and connect their router as the client to cover all devices behind the router in their home/office. The GUI allows you to select OpenVPN Client for the router but does not have all the necessary fields included to complete proper configuration. When can we expect this to be remedied?
Options
2021-08-05 22:27:31 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Martin_Theobald 

This is still broken and I'm facing the same issue

No idea how you can advertise that it supports OpenVPN when it only supports 5% of what openvpn offers.

Absolute nonsense

Options
2021-09-22 15:03:07 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Martin_Theobald 

Any ides when this will be implemented please?

Thanks

Options
2021-09-23 01:48:16 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

Hi,

I got the same issues, I tried to connect to my Open VPN server of my work but without access to auth method it is impossible. I tried to find the location of the OpenVPN certificate with SSH on the router without success. @TP can you add a way to auth this in your next version? (or allow only two files to be uploaded on OpenVPN config)

Options
2022-02-17 06:38:35 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

@Martin_Theobald 

This still seems to be a problem with the v1.2.0 firmware for the ER605 gateway.

I would like configure one of my VLANs to connect via ER605 to NordVPN/VyprVPN while the other VLAN uses the local ISP

Options

Information

Helpful: 14

Views: 14079

Replies: 50

Voters 14

+ 10 Voters