Performance - non Omada Software Switch & EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-20 19:34:19 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:22:53
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have this older Switch and am using the new EAP225(US) v3.0. I have 3 of these devices spread across the house. I have recently installed the 5.0 software version.

When installed, it was working perfectly. More recently, there seems to be a degradation in quality of speed for wi-fi. Seems like a fair amount of dropped packets. I also notice issues using Zoom and FaceTime, with "unstable internet", etc.

I cannot determine what is the issue. I know the online software does not recognize the switch as it is not compatible.

Internet is 1 GB and 30 mb upload. Speed tests show extremely high connection when I run the test the SECOND time. Usually on the first, something happens and I have to restart the test.

Also, sometimes you go online on your phone and it just hangs for 2-3 seconds. Then all of a sudden its like it "found" the connection and works. Whatever the issue is, it is making my solution NOT seamless.

Questions:

1. How do I fix this?

2. Will I have better results if I get a cloud compatible switch?

3. Should I buy more APs and turn down the signal?

4. Will results be better with the new wifi 6 devices from TP Link (EAP 660 HD)?

5. Should I just give up on TP Link and move to another company? I have installed Meraki before, but pricing is significantly higher.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Performance - non Omada Software Switch & EAP225
2020-12-26 01:10:38 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:22:53

@Electronicfunk 

Hey

Dropped packets can usually be a sign of a flooded spectrum, are you connected on the 5ghz or the 2.4 and also what channels?

Have you scanned the area for other APs on the same channels?   If you had a screenshot of the spectrum that would help greatly.

Options
2020-12-28 15:17:58 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:22:53

@Philbert 

Hi There Philbert.

I am using both 2.0 and 5.0 bands. After your comment I switched from auto and looked at the spectrums and assigned specific channels to each AP. Last night when trying to use a video chat with my friend, I still have the issue of the internet just "cutting" out and losing the signal entirely and then reconnecting.

This only seems to be an issue with video chats. When streaming wifi there are no issues. But I have converted all high use connections (android tvs) to wired connections in hopes to free up wireless. The dropped packets are timed exactly when we are on video chats, any service (zoom, teams, FaceTime, What's App, etc.).

I have included the information below. If there is anything else you need, please let me know as I really want to solve this issue.

For Spectrum Analysis - I am Bell 984 and all 3 APs are using the same SSID.  In terms of the "hidden network" I am not sure what that is, as I did not think I had a hidden network. May be the same device and the wi-fi scanner is mixing it up, but the hidden network has a different MAC address.

I have the APs all on high.

Options
2020-12-29 09:24:13 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:22:53

Dear @Electronicfunk,

For Spectrum Analysis - I am Bell 984 and all 3 APs are using the same SSID.  In terms of the "hidden network" I am not sure what that is, as I did not think I had a hidden network. May be the same device and the wi-fi scanner is mixing it up, but the hidden network has a different MAC address.

The WiFi scanner can detect all the available WiFi signals around. The "hidden network" should be a network which is available but is not broadcasting its SSID. To avoid necessary wireless interference, it's suggested to set different channels with 20MHz channel width for checking. You may refer to the guide below to check if it helps.

How to optimize the wireless performance of EAP products, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2511/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 670

Replies: 3

Related Articles