Small network for boarding house, is this a viable network topology?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-27 13:25:38
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have helped build a boarding house for my in-laws in a country in SA Asia. Before the pandemic we had about 50 boarders. We recently installed fiber internet (speeds up to 100 Mb/s) and need a tidy way of giving the boarders internet access. 

I have been thinking about a captive portal and giving access by vouchers, and was happy to see that the Omada Cloud system had both of those functions. 

The ISP modem/router is not in bridge mode, and it's not easy to fix that. There's no other ISPs in the area.

Current setup is ISP-router -> Deco M4 mesh network in AP mode with Ethernet backhaul.

Is it possible to set up the network as in the image below? Do i need a TP-Link router as DHCP server if I want to use bandwith control on the units connected to the EAP225s?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Small network for boarding house, is this a viable network topology?
2020-12-29 02:39:47

Dear @Flyndresnik,

Is it possible to set up the network as in the image below? Do i need a TP-Link router as DHCP server if I want to use bandwith control on the units connected to the EAP225s?

It is possible. No need for a TP-Link router, we can also configure rate limit on the SSIDs or on the Voucher codes, thus to limit bandwidth on units connected to the EAP225s.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Small network for boarding house, is this a viable network topology?
2020-12-30 22:18:45
Fae only small comment base on experience with limiting bandwidth (rate limit for downloading and uploading) is a challenge on EAP225 Outdoor in a mesh connection with OC200 controller. Not sure for EAP225s. I have a configuration limiting the voucher for certain bandwidth (rate limit for download and upload) from the voucher side and from the client device but failed to control the utilization bandwidth speed. This causes the slowness of the overall internet bandwidth source if all user's devices are downloading or streaming videos. i saw each traffic of user from the enable limiting option exceeded to define limit upload/download speed. Please advise.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 2

Related Articles