DHCP server (TL-R605) not working anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-20 08:08:41 - last edited 2021-03-25 02:08:52
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0

Yesterday all of a sudden my DHCP server decided to stop working. I am running

Omada 4.2.8
and the following devices:

1x EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v1.0

2x EAP245(EU) v3.

1x TL-SG2210P v3.20

1x TL-R605 v1.0

All devices are running the latest version.

I have rebooted everything several times, reinstalled Omada, but no luck. I have tried searching for relevant logs, but apparently Omada does not have such logs? Wher are those? The only thing I have not tried is to hard reset the TL-R605. But doing a hard reset also flushes all possible logs on it.

The workaround I have created is building a separate DHCP server to serve my clients. But this DHCP server is very limited and thus making my other VLANS useless. Actually it is making  a lot of the features of Omada useless.

How can we retrieve the DHCP logs for troubleshooting? Or how can I restore functionality?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DHCP server (TL-R605) not working anymore-Solution
2021-03-25 02:03:37 - last edited 2021-03-25 02:08:52

Hi All,

As an update, the DHCP Server issue has been fixed in the new official firmware ER605(UN)_V1_20210113.

If you have any further issues/concerns, please feel free to start a new thread on the community.

BTW, the thread below will be updated once there is new firmware released in the future, welcome to subscribe to it for an update.

【Update 3/4/2021】Latest firmware released for ER605(aka TL-R605)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
28 Reply
Re:DHCP server (TL-R605) not working anymore
2021-01-20 10:06:59

Dear @RBL,

How can we retrieve the DHCP logs for troubleshooting? Or how can I restore functionality?

I'm afraid that there is no such log information on the Omada Controller. 

The issue sounds a little strange. Is there any setting changed or any new devices added in your network before it stopped working?

Could you please try to reset the TL-R605 into factory default and check if the DHCP works in standalone mode?

If possible, please also upload a backup file of the configuration of your Omada Controller for checking. Thank you!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-20 10:31:29 - last edited 2021-01-20 10:41:57

I'm afraid that there is no such log information on the Omada Controller. 

The issue sounds a little strange. Is there any setting changed or any new devices added in your network before it stopped working?

Could you please try to reset the TL-R605 into factory default and check if the DHCP works in standalone mode?

If possible, please also upload a backup file of the configuration of your Omada Controller for checking. Thank you!

1. As far as I know no settings have been changed,.To restore functionality I have restored a backup from 5 days ago. Same result after two hours (TTL is 120min). No DHCP  

2. Resetting TL-R605 to factory defaults would result in a complete loss of logs which are maybe on the router itself. But I cannot login to the device. Probably going back to factory default would result in a restoring of the service. But for troubleshooting it is devastating. Also the device is running in a production environment so resetting to factory defaults is at this moment (because of the expected downtime) not an option. But if you are able to send me a spare device I will be happy to give it a try....

3. a Backup file of my configuration? It probably also includes my passwords etc etc.? If that is the case I do not think it should be posted on a public forum.

As an addition I have been looking to WLAN Groups, as I could not see all functionality in Omada (I could not see the advanced settings etc etc).

I had two WLAN groups. One Default and one called outdoor. After deleting the second WLAN Group I had the functionality back of the WIFI settings (for example Advanced Settings, WLAN Schedule, 802.11 Rate Control, MAC Filter).

Next step was rebooting the Omada server.

and the next issue came up, the TL-R605 gave the error  incompatible with Omada.

I have had this issue before, see other threads. After removing the power, waiting for 10 seconds and restoring power the device was accepted again I got the status connected. But still the DHCP server does not work.

Options
2021-01-20 12:04:36 - last edited 2021-01-20 12:06:03

Dear @RBL,

2. Resetting TL-R605 to factory defaults would result in a complete loss of logs which are maybe on the router itself. But I cannot login to the device. Probably going back to factory default would result in a restoring of the service. But for troubleshooting it is devastating. Also the device is running in a production environment so resetting to factory defaults is at this moment (because of the expected downtime) not an option. But if you are able to send me a spare device I will be happy to give it a try....

I'm afraid there is a log on the router itself since the TL-R605 has been managed by Controller. But it will result in a loss of logs if you reinstall the Omada Controller without retain data. Because this is the first time to receive such feedback on the TL-R605, the issue is rare and doing a reset could help to confirm whether the TL-R605 itself can function well from some extent.

3. a Backup file of my configuration? It probably also includes my passwords etc etc.? If that is the case I do not think it should be posted on a public forum.

No, I don't need your password, the backup config wont' contain the login account or admin accounts.

But if you worry about it, you could email the backup file to <support.forum@tp-link.com> and send me a message with the returned Ticket ID.

As an addition I have been looking to WLAN Groups, as I could not see all functionality in Omada (I could not see the advanced settings etc etc).

I had two WLAN groups. One Default and one called outdoor. After deleting the second WLAN Group I had the functionality back of the WIFI settings (for example Advanced Settings, WLAN Schedule, 802.11 Rate Control, MAC Filter).

Next step was rebooting the Omada server.

and the next issue came up, the TL-R605 gave the error  incompatible with Omada.

Do you mean that the incompatible error is related to WLAN Groups created on the controller? Can you reproduce the error steadily?

Options
2021-01-20 17:52:32 - last edited 2021-01-20 17:54:46

@Fae just tried a hard reset of the router, unfortunately no luck. Still no DHCP from the TL-R605 at the moment.

And no, I have no idea whether the WLAN Group thing is related to the DHCP problem, it was just an observation.

Options
2021-01-21 01:08:20

Dear @RBL,

just tried a hard reset of the router, unfortunately no luck. Still no DHCP from the TL-R605 at the moment.

Thank you for trying. For the DHCP issue, I'd like to forward your case to our senior engineer to investigate the problem.

The TP-Link support team will contact you with your registered email address later, please kindly reply the email for further assistance.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support.

Options
2021-01-21 08:36:50

Fae wrote

Thank you for trying. For the DHCP issue, I'd like to forward your case to our senior engineer to investigate the problem.

The TP-Link support team will contact you with your registered email address later, please kindly reply the email for further assistance.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support.

@Fae thank you, I already replied to their email.

Just a quick note, by connecting via VPN to my network I get an ip-address. As logging is very limited. I am unable to see whether this is from DHCP or just or a fixed one.

Will wait for the senior engineer and will share the result.

Options
2021-01-22 13:42:18

Just removed the router from the production environment and replaced it with my old Fritzbox, luckily I had not reset the device, so the network is working as expected.

I was asked by second line to hard reset the device in a stand alone environment. Just did a hard reset, and the device powered up as expected.. Without any trouble it was working properly in a stand alone environment. Which was expected, as it removes all settings and reverts back to factory settings.

Results are sent to TP-Link.

Let's see what the next steps will be....

I will keep you posted.

Options
2021-01-25 05:37:23

@RBL I just had the same problem. My TL-R605 has been up and working fine for 30 days but today for some reason no new devices got a dhcp address. Oddly, while WIFI devices showed up fine AND connected in Omada SDN, they couldn't get an IP and even when I would set a static IP on the device they still showed as "no internet" on the device and the Omada app still wouldn't reflect a real IP ( only "-" or  a "169.x.x.x"). This leads me to think it's not just an issue with the DHCP server but that the router just stops accepting new connections in general.

I rebooted the router, all 6 switches (all omada sdn managed) and all 4 EAPs and still nothing worked. After a reboot of everything I ended up with over 30+ devices with No DHCP address (out of 110). I then decided to try restoring a backup of the OC200.

Once I restored the OC200 backup from yesterday things started to work...

Some oddities with that though... About half of the devices that I had set "Use Fixed IP Address:" didn't actually use the assigned address. That in itself is concerning. What's the point of being able to assign fixed IP's on the router if they don't always get assigned?

I don't know what caused the issue as things have been working relatively fine for a month and I didn't make any changes recently...

Options
2021-01-30 13:38:32 - last edited 2021-01-30 18:50:38

@Fae 

Anything new regarding the DHCP issue? I have the same problem, have tried most without it working. Fortunately, everything is in the lab for testing, It does not seem that the TL-R605 can be used for anything yet. in addition to the DHCP problem, there are so many other problems that come and go for no reason, it may work well one day, the next day it does not work. so more unstable device I have never encountered before. I suspect that the TL-R605 does not communicate properly with the OC200 so the settings are simply not set in the TL-R605,

TP-LINK, is there any update that fixes the instabilities? It had been fun and could use the device :-)

Update:After restore of OC200 and many restart of TL-R605 DHCP work again. 

then we'll see how long it lasts this time :-) 

Options
2021-01-31 18:11:54

@Fae 

Looks like this happened to me as wel over night, Unfortunately I didn't have a backup lying around. 

I've resetted the R605 twice now. the moment I enroll the device the DHCP stops working after a little while. 

My only solution at the moment is use the ROUTER as a standalone device.

Kind Regrads,

Wesley

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7432

Replies: 28