Omada Controller OC200 v1 SDN crash after latest firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-03 22:15:48 - last edited 2021-03-14 19:21:55
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.2.11

I need advice for those immediately done the upgrade of firmware. I have omada sdn controller v1 with version 4.2.8 in process of upgrading to the latest release 4.2.11 crash after the reboot process if an upgrade. Tried already to remove the poe supplied cable then reconnect. Seem it's crash during the reboot process. I have s backup USB always connected to this controller while I performed as well to have my system configuration and full 365 downloads back up of data from my controller before performing the upgrade. Its noticeable light for power is steady on notice can't see my static IP assigned to this controller from my router. Need to advise on how to restore first before resetting(pressing)  manually the pinhole reset button from the controller. I have a voucher system set up to maintain. 4 units out of 16 AP 225 outdoor can't link in mesh other EAP's. To mentioned online backup for my oc200 v1 backup controller is successful. Thank you.

Up to Date after several days hours of trial restoration remotely with my relatives (while I'm abroad) is a journey :)

Procedure Done in restoration from some advice read and share by @Fae 

1. Factory reset performed from recovery page of OC200 v1. The steps as follow.

a. Do the initial reset button procedure from a pinhole of oc200 while connected to the live network.

b. Disconnect the crash OC200 from the working network.

c. Take the laptop offline from the live network and in Network Card IPv4 set the static ip 192.168.0.10 / Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 / Default Gateway 192.168.0.253 (which is the default fallback IP Address of OC200)

d. connect the lan cable (cat6) to eth2 of oc200 controller and lan of laptop.

e. Power on the OC200 (with iPad charger 2.1A also tried to use 1A iPhone charger in the process) while button steady press in pinhole reset for about 15 seconds and release.

f. From Laptop browser type 192.168.0.253 to come to access the recovery page of OC200 with 3 option menu, reboot, factory reset (default) and upgrade firmware.

g. I select factory reset and seen the controller rebooted with the blank page, not display. (Process again steps e and f for recovery page) I observe the oc200 doesn't factory reset since still shows the same recent firmware version with the latest build upgraded before it not totally lost in the network.

2. Downgrade / Upgrade Firmware from failed oc200 controller in the network.

a. From procedure 1 do the steps a up to f to come upon the recovery page.

b. First tried the downgrade by uploading the 4.2.8 Firmware and restart after the successful upgrade it reboots itself and pages no display.

c. Disconnect from local machine connection and connected it back to live network using the original PO Cable connected to my POE+ Switch TL-SG1008MP still not detected in-network and tried to manually add the device to account associating the device key which is 20 character key at the backside of your controller, display device is not available or offline.

d. I do as well the reset pinhole button while connected to network and still nothing happen I do check possibility of new mac device on live network but failed to see this. And performed once the default fallback address192.168.0.253  in browser while the oc200 is connected on poe switch live network still failed.

e. removed oc200 in live network and conenct it back to local pc setup with ethernet to lan port of machine Procedure 1 steps a-f).

f. I noticed the successful downgrade seem not happen while device performed the recovery sequence without the glitch or error message performing procedure 2 from a-  

b. it's kind weird after downgrade its reboot itself without any noticed of failure in the profcess while expectation device successfully downgraded.

g. Do the factory reset from recovery page and restart boot again to recovery page surprising nothing reset still got the latest frimware in oc200 v4.2.11 (which failed to work operate and seen in live network from my initial upgrade before i performed this long procedural process)

h. Knowing now the oc200 can't downgrade of factory reset from the stage of recovery. I do the same upgrade of firmware which already loaded from the crashed to operate unit after first original upgrade of controller (before this long escalation trials performed).

i. I downloaded the latest firmware v4.2.11 from tplink twice procedure performed from the unit to ensure i do have a corrupted firmware in process. to make it short both seems usually upgraded in process since normal steps followed without any error appear in the process.

j. Connected back the OC200 in live network and add device key in the process and to the last attempt still failed to see the device in the network while there's a power led light up and blinking network (seems normal activity blink) in poe lan port.

Out of several trials of reset, hardreset, soft reset (recovery page), and recovery upgrade/factory rest. NON of them works for me. I already contacted the technical support of vendor and agreed to send it back the device for the warranty claim and they will replicate I believe the same process performed in recovery or might they have a magic tricks out of my procedure and steps performed to fix or might a total replacement.

Options
15 Reply
Re:Omada Controller v1 crash after latest firmware upgrade
2021-03-03 22:45:14

@JhonneL 

Is it possible that your OC200 is coming up with DCHP after the firmware upgrade?  It may have just lost the static address that you had set.  If so, the Omada App on your phone might be able to locate it.  Try deleting the controller from the App and go to the Add Controller section.

Good luck!

Options
2021-03-03 22:53:55
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. I tried to check the controller itself can’t see or visible from the router list of devices online. And initially the main controller ip / mac reserve in dhcp to maintain its static ip. I do a remote desktop from one computer where this main controller connected to the same network where my remote desktop pc host connected via lan. Can’t see the main controller from network scanning and pinging its assigned ip.
Options
2021-03-04 03:53:32
Did you try your fallback ip address? Maybe your router didn't assign/reserve the IP address. I think the default is 192.168.0.253
Options
2021-03-04 09:24:49
Hello, I check this and can't find either in my network. While I manage to up my network settings from me back up controller OC200 v1 which successfully upgraded firmware into 4.2.11 using the full backup data from my main controller before I do upgrade and now not visible in the network even cloud light and power are visible from the controller and used network switch. Might I will try to do the pin hole reset button and transfer first the auto back up usb from the main controller to the back up in operational now. Before resettings the Main crash oc200 v1.
Options
2021-03-04 09:36:11

Is someone has a procedure on factory default for non-bootable or not network visible oc200 v1 controller after the firmware upgrade. scenario successfully upgrade to the latest firmware v 4.2.11 while on restart process suddenly not visible in network even lan scanning i can't see device while there's a led light on power and blinking cloud led light.

Action done but failed to resume the controller I remove the POE Lan supply cable then restore, same still not seen in network.

Will ask my relatives to reset from pin hole while connected to poe lan cable to check if this will give me a chance to restore from default or boot back the controller v1.

Will post update the result here later.

Options
2021-03-09 06:31:16 - last edited 2021-03-09 06:35:22

Dear @JhonneL,

Will ask my relatives to reset from pin hole while connected to poe lan cable to check if this will give me a chance to restore from default or boot back the controller v1.

Is the OC200 visible in the network now after a hard reset?

If it still doesn't work, please try the steps below to get into recovery mode.

1. Disconnect the OC200 from the network, simply connect OC200----PC(192.168.0.x).

2. Power OFF the OC200 first, push and keep holding the RESET hole on the OC200 then power it ON.

3. Keep holding the RESET hole (about 5 seconds) and release it.

4. Open a web browser on the PC, input 192.168.0.253 in the address bar and enter to get the recovery page.

After you get into recovery mode, please try uploading the latest firmware to refresh the OC200 firmware for checking.

Note: Once the OC200 is rebooted, it will exit the recovery mode.

Attention: Do NOT turn off the power during the upgrade process, as it may cause permanent damage to the product.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-03-09 11:47:13

@Fae 

I tried that, but it didn't help me.

No matter which firmware I loaded .... it was always the same one that was on it before!

Options
2021-03-09 12:02:40
Hello Fae, The OC200 is not visible in the network after hard reset and noticed no more light for cloud as well while power is stable and the plan port poe where shows some blnk regular activity. I will try the mentioned steps #2 and #3 and update you since what i have instructed to do with my relatives where the controller installed are the following steps. 1. hard reset the pin hole button (but after turnining on still no luck). 2. Connecte Alan cat 6 to ethernet port 2 of oc200 other side to laptop with static iPad assigned to my laptop IP 192.168.0.10 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.0.253 and power on the oc 200 by power adaptor two option made with 1A and 2.1 A via micro USB cable connected to it but still accessing browser with 192.168.0.253 page not shows for recovery. 3. I do also connect back the oc200 to main switch with its original plan cable connected port to poe and power port of switch then press pin hole button no luck. Now I'm excited to do your advice in steps #2/#3 that might be a sequential steps i haven't performed in recovery process. thanks i will get back to you for the update related to that steps. Thank you.
Options
2021-03-09 12:17:45

@JhonneL 

take look here : https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/255784

same topic & same problem..... 

Options
2021-03-09 13:10:43
Thank you for your shared info. it seems your oc200 is also brick similar on what i have experience from my primary oc200 controller good thing i have a backup similar model which goes to the same process of the online upgrade of the firmware first and successful. while after the success on the upgrade from my back up i do proceed on my main controller same exact process which usually took 5 to 6 minutes only. my oc200 main controller successfully upgraded and on its reboot process and i'm waiting for several minutes and hrs still not able to comeback after the import and automatic restart as part of the upgrade automatic sequence on its process. And the full 365 full backup from main controller of oc200 (where this is now brick) was successfuly restore to secondary or back up oc200 quite weird experiencenow i noticed every client in voucher authentication seem 8hrs back shows time first used of their activated voucher vs the actual time of controller/router and pc where i manage the local access remotely to oc200. where If i visit the Insights> pas portal authentication it shows the actual voucher time activation correct from all system in the network. Only the weird part is from hotspot manager start activation of voucher shows 8 hrs backward it's kind weird @Fae might your developer interested on my discovery here and actul experience with my scenario? thank you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4505

Replies: 15