TL-R605 router disconnected and forgotten by Omada Software

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-22 11:39:57
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've been running Omada software (v 4.2.11) in docker on Unraid and recently added the TL-R605 two weeks ago. Because I'm using a different subnet (192.168.5.0), I followed the process outlined here to adopt it into the controller software. The setup worked exactly as described and had been working fine for a week.

Then the R605 seemingly got disconnected from the software and could not be readopted. The DHCP was also no longer working to assign IP addresses. Restarting the device allowed it to show back up in the software but as "Managed by Other" and it would fail to adopt again. I can reached the webUI with the assigned IP of 192.168.5.6 but I'm unable to login due to the software controller changing the ID and password. So I had factory reset the R605 and set it up again with the same process.

And now it seems to have crashed again one week later with the same issue. Looking at the event logs in the controller, it had initially disconnected, but was able to be readopted automatically before I noticed anything amiss, but then become disconnected again. And same issue again with the DHCP not working. So I have restarted the device and it is working okay to route traffic, but it is showing up as "managed by other" and won't let me change any settings. I don't want to factory reset it just yet in case there's some useful logs I could pull from it, plus it seems like this would likely just happen again in one week.

So what is going on with the adoption of the R605 when on a non-default subnet? It seems like I might have to just use it in standalone mode until the next big update. Very frustrating.

I am wondering if it could possibly be a memory issue with the R605, but because I don't currently have the router adopted in, it won't show me the performance statistics from when it was previously adopted. I'm not sure reseting the router to get it adopted back in will show the previous statistics either. Maybe there's a way to see the statistics in some log files.

I have also just noticed that my two EAP245s become periodically disconnected and readopted as well. And this had also been occuring prior to adding the R605, and using my old Edgerouter X, so it seems like the actual issue might be with my controller software. And for some reason when the same has happened to the R605, it isn't always able to be readopted, causing the issue my post is about. Is it to be expected that the EAPs will periodically become disconnected and need to be readopted? It also happens to both at the same time, and has happened 3 times in one day recently. Should the controller docker be setup differently than the host network in Unraid? Perhaps br0 with it's own internal IP address would fix the issue.

Options
9 Reply
Re:TL-R605 router disconnected and forgotten by Omada Software
2021-04-22 11:47:02 - last edited 2021-04-22 11:47:31

@WhiteMamba 

Just quick thought.. we get others report this quite often when using the Software controller and 90% of the time its something blocking the discovery / adoption ports (29810-29813) 

On more than enough occasions this has been firewall, AV something like that.    

I would look there first!

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/362

Options
2021-04-22 17:49:13
Those ports are definitely passed through the docker host network and to my knowledge, there's no additional firewall on Unraid. I'm not sure I understand the troubleshooting steps in the link you shared. Would the EAp discovery tool help to make sure there's no issues with the ports? And would this also explain the R605 becoming disconnected?
Options
2021-04-23 00:33:05

@WhiteMamba 

I think the main point of the link is showing the ports that need to be open for the software controller to work, i.e. the checks marks in the column labeled "Omada Software Controller"

Options
2021-04-23 08:09:17

Dear @WhiteMamba,

WhiteMamba wrote

Then the R605 seemingly got disconnected from the software and could not be readopted. The DHCP was also no longer working to assign IP addresses. Restarting the device allowed it to show back up in the software but as "Managed by Other" and it would fail to adopt again.

When you try to readopt the R605 on the Controller, did you input exactly the same username and password configured under Settings-Site-Device Account? Is there showing any error message on the Controller? What's the IP address of the R605 showing on the Device page? Are you able to ping the R605 on the Controller host?

I can reached the webUI with the assigned IP of 192.168.5.6 but I'm unable to login due to the software controller changing the ID and password. So I had factory reset the R605 and set it up again with the same process.

For the assigned IP of 192.168.5.6, do you mean the Controller Device page shows the R605 has IP 192.168.5.6?

When you try to reach the web UI of R605 with its LAN IP, you'll need to put in the username and password configured under Device Account because the R605 was managed by the Controller before, and it should allow you to log in and then ask you to reset the R605 so that you can manage it in Standalone mode.

And now it seems to have crashed again one week later with the same issue. Looking at the event logs in the controller, it had initially disconnected, but was able to be readopted automatically before I noticed anything amiss, but then become disconnected again. And same issue again with the DHCP not working.

May I know the firmware version of your R605 router? Is it Build 20210113?

I have also just noticed that my two EAP245s become periodically disconnected and readopted as well. And this had also been occuring prior to adding the R605, and using my old Edgerouter X, so it seems like the actual issue might be with my controller software. 

Omada Controller communicates with Omada device via TCP/UDP port 29810-29813. Some anti-virus programs or firewalls may block this kind of packet. Perhaps you can disable the anti-virus or firewalls (on the host that the Omada Software Controller is installed) in your network first for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-04-24 11:22:17

When you try to readopt the R605 on the Controller, did you input exactly the same username and password configured under Settings-Site-Device Account? Is there showing any error message on the Controller? What's the IP address of the R605 showing on the Device page? Are you able to ping the R605 on the Controller host?

Oh, I didn't realize the Device Account password was randomly generated and different from my Controller login. Now using that password, I am able to readopt the R605. That is peculiar that the controller wasn't able to automatically readopt it like it had done at least once previously.

May I know the firmware version of your R605 router? Is it Build 20210113?

Yes it is build 20210113.

Omada Controller communicates with Omada device via TCP/UDP port 29810-29813. Some anti-virus programs or firewalls may block this kind of packet. Perhaps you can disable the anti-virus or firewalls (on the host that the Omada Software Controller is installed) in your network first for checking.

The software controller is running in docker on an Unraid host with the ports passed through and no other additional firewall or AV. The docker is configured with the network as host, but I may try changing the network to bridge so that the controller software will have it's own separate IP address from the Unraid host. I'm not sure if that may alleviate the issue with the devices disconnecting and reconnecting.

Options
2021-04-28 23:36:02

@WhiteMamba 

I'm still having issues with the TL-R605 becoming disconnected from the controller software. It just happened 3 times today, with the DHCP server also apparently going out because some devices no longer have IP addresses and cannot reach the internet. Then within 15-20 minutes, it becomes reconnected and the internet works fine again. Is this an issue with the hardware?

Options
2022-02-08 23:34:05

@WhiteMamba 

I'm facing the exact same issue with several of these routers.  Has anyone been able to identify the issue?  All network equipment in my environments are TP-Link and controlled by a hardware controller.

Options
2022-02-09 03:13:34

Dear @JeremySand,

JeremySand wrote

I'm facing the exact same issue with several of these routers.  Has anyone been able to identify the issue?  All network equipment in my environments are TP-Link and controlled by a hardware controller.

What's the model number and firmware version of your Omada Hardware Controller and Routers?

Are the Routers and Omada Hardware Controller connected in the same LAN network?

Could you please draw a simple network diagram for checking?

Is your router shown as connected on your Controller now?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-09 18:12:24

@JeremySand Believe me I feel your pain, I had to do a factory reset of all 3 devices (Router, Controller, AP), and power cycle all 3 at the same time after the factory reset.

You have to be patience cause I was not, it will take 5mins for the controller be online.

Make sure all devices were on the same subnet in my case was the default 192.168.0.1/24 once the Router picked up the subnet I verified the IP from the Controller cause for some reason the router was changing the IP on the controller to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 not sure why.

To figure this out I had to create like 3 sites and spend all afternoon man, but I got it working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3255

Replies: 9