Please help me understand this

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-24 15:46:24
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought this because my new home office is around 50 m away from the house. I had no idea it was for businesses as the reviews I read were by people who had bought it for the same reason as me.

I have plugged it in and connected cables in every combination I can think of but I don't know which is correct. I have downloaded the Omada app and it's asking to be allowed to access Siri & Search, and Notifications, but there are no prompts to allow it to access the local network. When I type in http://tplinkeap.net it says 'this site can't be reached' and the server's IP address could not be found.

I just want to boost the wifi so I can use my laptop and phone in the shed, can anyone advise please (in non technical language) how I can make this work? Or have I bought the wrong thing?

Thanks, Penny.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Please help me understand this
2021-04-24 17:06:40 - last edited 2021-04-24 17:10:07

Oh sure it will probably work great for what you are trying to do.

But, then again, it isn't a consumer level plug and play make it easy type device. It certainly requires some level of technical understanding to get to work in your application. So it could be the "wrong" item for you in that it's not really made for the average non-technical user.

Have you read this guide:

https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202101/20210129/7106509120-EAP-outdoor_seriesIG.pdf

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2935/

One option may be to call the brother/sister/friend/niece/nephew that leans techie and tell them to get the heck over there. Really all the information you need is in the technical documentation and if that is overwhelming I'm not sure that deciphering replies in a community forum will be any easier.

They really are great if you have some understanding of tech stuff and network router setup. And you'll have a nice little weather proof outdoor access point for the yard etc and surrounding area.

I'm sure you can get some help here but if the buddy with a techie bent is an option that may be a really good option to utilize.

Options
2021-04-24 17:13:03

Also when you try to connect to the URL are you making sure the device you are connecting from (a laptop or computer will be way easier) is connected to the wifi of the TP-link and not still connected to your local network?

When that is powered on you should see the initial/default WiFi network as a new network nearby. Did you connect to that first?

And I assume you have the tp-link plugged into your home network there.

Options
2021-04-24 17:35:18

@Phishfood thank you very much. I think I'm just going to have to give up and see if I can get a refund, because I just don't have the know-how. It's annoying because I asked my work ISD for advice on what to buy, and they wouldn't help me because it was a private purchase! Hopefully they'll let me return it.

Thanks again,

Penny.

Options
2021-04-24 19:04:49
Did you try connecting to the TP Link wifi and going to the URL?
Options
2021-04-24 19:07:48

And to be clear you are connecting the 110 where your Internet connection is, connecting the ethernet cable from your Internet router to the TP Link, and then trying to connect to the TP Link wifi?

Not backwards -- connecting your remote workstation to the ethernet port, then trying to wifi towards the Internet connection?

Options
2021-04-25 03:57:56

Dear @Penny66,

Penny66 wrote

I have plugged it in and connected cables in every combination I can think of but I don't know which is correct. I have downloaded the Omada app and it's asking to be allowed to access Siri & Search, and Notifications, but there are no prompts to allow it to access the local network. When I type in http://tplinkeap.net it says 'this site can't be reached' and the server's IP address could not be found.

The EAP is just a wireless access point, please ensure it's hardwired to your main router via Ethernet cable.

Check for this setup video. How to set up a TP-Link EAP via your mobile phone

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 697

Replies: 6

Related Articles