New EAP225 v3 user Q's: Smart Connect & WPA3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-28 15:06:36 - last edited 2021-04-29 11:51:30
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.0

I'm looking for 2 wifi features advertised on TP Link's site.

I want this so client devices don't sit on 2.4 when a better connection is available. How can I achieve this?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/

I want this for best security. Is this incoming via firmware update?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/wpa3/

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New EAP225 v3 user Q's: Smart Connect & WPA3-Solution
2021-04-28 20:28:29 - last edited 2021-04-29 11:51:30

@Jehu 

Hey

Hopefully should be able to answer this for you

I want this so client devices don't sit on 2.4 when a better connection is available. How can I achieve this?

In the Omada Business grade hardware this is referred to as Band Steering.   Its designed to move devices to the 5ghz channel when at all possible, I have this running on my EAP245 without issue, the only devices on 2.4 are the devices that only have 2.4 cards (smart plugs, webcams etc).  The technology works fine and is supported on the EAP225 if that is what you are considering.  

WPA3 is a newer standard that is really only available on AX (WiFi6) grade devices, the EAP225 is an AC (WiFi5) device and is unlikely to ever get WPA3 support.    From what I know this requires a specific chipset to handle the SAE encryption and the AC (WiFi5) grade devices dont support it from a hardware limitiation.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:New EAP225 v3 user Q's: Smart Connect & WPA3-Solution
2021-04-28 20:28:29 - last edited 2021-04-29 11:51:30

@Jehu 

Hey

Hopefully should be able to answer this for you

In the Omada Business grade hardware this is referred to as Band Steering.   Its designed to move devices to the 5ghz channel when at all possible, I have this running on my EAP245 without issue, the only devices on 2.4 are the devices that only have 2.4 cards (smart plugs, webcams etc).  The technology works fine and is supported on the EAP225 if that is what you are considering.  

WPA3 is a newer standard that is really only available on AX (WiFi6) grade devices, the EAP225 is an AC (WiFi5) device and is unlikely to ever get WPA3 support.    From what I know this requires a specific chipset to handle the SAE encryption and the AC (WiFi5) grade devices dont support it from a hardware limitiation.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:New EAP225 v3 user Q's: Smart Connect & WPA3
2021-04-28 20:56:22 - last edited 2021-04-28 20:59:21

@Philbert 

Thanks for the answers.

On band steering, I noticed this is off for the site by default (Settings/Site/Advanced Features). I'm guessing this needs to be on for the site and the option is not per EAP. This is the default. It would explain why I wasn't seeing frequency changes my phone.

I thought WiFi6 required WPA3, but not the other way around. Good to know.

Options
2021-04-29 08:38:23

@Jehu 

Pretty much yes, if you enable it on the controller its ON for all SSIDs and APs, most people would enable this and unless you have really old devices it shouldnt cause any issues.

I thought WiFi6 required WPA3, but not the other way around. Good to know.

Not exactly, WPA3 got ratified in 2018 so it could well have appeared in WiFi5 devices if manufacturers would be required to create a new Chipset for this, however its unlikely they would change/release a new chipset for older (about to be replaced) technology.  Given that WiFi6 was also starting to emerge so the two got bundled together as one package using the new chipset.

Its a bit like converting an old car to an electric vehicle, its likely something that can be done but your local Ford dealer would rather sell you a new vehicle with more $$. 

Options
2021-08-04 23:10:50

Philbert wrote

The EAP225 is an AC (WiFi5) device and is unlikely to ever get WPA3 support.    From what I know this requires a specific chipset to handle the SAE encryption and the AC (WiFi5) grade devices dont support it from a hardware limitiation.

Sorry for digging up this really old thread.

Just to set the record straight: WPA3 SAE runs perfectly fine on the EAP225 and EAP245 when running OpenWrt on them.

So it's not a hardware limitation that prevents this from working. The EAP225 firmware even contains the hostapd version required to operate WPA3 and it seems that WPA3 support is even compiled into the hostapd binary but TP-Link chose not to enable it for this product line.

My guess is for this to be a marketing decision to better position the WiFi6 capable lineup.

Options
2021-08-04 23:32:06

@FelixKa 

Thats good to know, thanks for the update.  Might actually be useful as I have a few standalone installs to do soon

Never actually looked into the hardware on the EAPs, just tend to use them as part of SDN. 

Thanks

Options
2022-02-10 07:54:35

@FelixKa Hi, I am using a secondary AP re350 v1 with openwrt and got interested from your post. Is the EAP225 stable with the latest Openwrt 21.02.1? Do you have any observations if it is working well? As much as I enjoy Omada controller if I can make 802.11r work with 2 openwrt APs it would be better experience I guess.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2200

Replies: 6

Related Articles