Votes

[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?

Votes

[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?

110 Reply
Re:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-11 02:27:28

Hi @Adrimama

Adrimama wrote

I have the feeling that TP-Link let this feed dying slowly, I'm so sad !

Could be a good idea to give us some news about this topic wink

Have you thought to let the summer trainee to develop this option 60, it would be a marvellous back to school gift for TP Link user in september laugh

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Can you provide some 2B brand that supports this feature? I mean Cisco, Meraki, Ruckus, etc.

What's your connection type now? DHCP on WAN interface?

Based on my brief research, I found out that most brands do not support DHCP Option on the WAN interface. Instead, they support DHCP Option on LAN. This function is usually performed by the modem.

I'd like to help you guys here. But I need some data to concrete my words and feedback and I can push the dev team based on the data/info you provided.

Let me know your answers and @ me in your reply.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-11 02:29:51

Hi @NHendriks @Multiplex  @Ninaume @ElMajor76 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Can you provide some 2B brand that supports this feature? I mean Cisco, Meraki, Ruckus, etc.

What's your connection type now? DHCP on WAN interface?

Based on my brief research, I found out that most brands do not support DHCP Option on the WAN interface. Instead, they support DHCP Option on LAN. This function is usually performed by the modem.

I'd like to help you guys here. But I need some data to concrete my words and feedback and I can push the dev team based on the data/info you provided.

Let me know your answers and @ me in your reply.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
RE:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-11 06:59:34

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thnaks for your reply 

Like Synology, ubiquiti, Asus, Netgear, Ciscof for exemple we need to have the DHCP class ID option (vendorclass option 60)

You can find just right here a exemple and french tutorial on synology to connect the ISP directly to router

https://lafibre.info/remplacer-sfr/bypass-nb6-avec-routeur-synology-rt1900ac-acces-ssh-ok/

Another example on Ubiquiti 

With this option we can plug your Optical Network Termination directly on the Er7206 or ER605 and use the full pssibility of your router

I hope helping you with that to understanding what we need and help your dev team to understand

Options
2023-08-11 07:07:01

Hi @Clive_A 

In addition to @MaxxFR reply, NetGear also supports this

Options
RE:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-11 07:10:50

Hi @MaxxFR 

UBNT's picture is pretty helpful. Forget about the ASUS, Synology, and Netgear, is this feature available on Cisco?

Options
2023-08-11 07:39:47

@Clive_A forget about the Asus and Netgear? Why?! 

I haven't used Cisco in years but I'm pretty sure they support this as it is a way more advanced brand for a whole other market than Omada. Omada focuses on prosumer where Cisco focuses on corporate. 

Options
2023-08-11 07:44:53

Hi  @Clive_A 

I understand that forget Asus, Netgear or other brand to b2c channel. I just put synology in a Mid channel (b2c & b2b)

For sure Cisco will be have it and maybe Aruba too.

Some ISP use cisco router to configure it.

Maybe i can check at my job to do screenshot of our configuration but i can promise do our security policy.

Options
2023-08-11 08:34:13

@NHendriks 

NHendriks wrote

@Clive_A forget about the Asus and Netgear? Why?! 

I haven't used Cisco in years but I'm pretty sure they support this as it is a way more advanced brand for a whole other market than Omada. Omada focuses on prosumer where Cisco focuses on corporate. 

Because we don't compare/compete with them in small and middle business networking. That's more of a concern from our home team.

We'd like to learn about UBNT, Cisco and Ruckus, and other 2B brands as often our product is an alternative for some users from them.

Actually, behind the scene, we have many features and firmware that are not open to consumers but available to corporate partners. And we do share some parts of the corporate users.

Options
2023-08-11 08:38:51

Hi @MaxxFR 

MaxxFR wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

I understand that forget Asus, Netgear or other brand to b2c channel. I just put synology in a Mid channel (b2c & b2b)

For sure Cisco will be have it and maybe Aruba too.

Some ISP use cisco router to configure it.

Maybe i can check at my job to do screenshot of our configuration but i can promise do our security policy.

You can let me know their model or documentation from Aruba, Cisco, or Synology which is very helpful for me to bring it up to the dev team. Never thought that Synology also manufactures routers.

Options
2023-08-11 19:33:06

Hi  @Clive_A 

For Synology you can find is model :Synology RT1900ac, RT2600ac, RT6600ax, MR2200ac  with this factures.

For Ubiquiti : USG and UDM Pro

For Asus, Netgear, and lot of other brand of router the list is too long... but its not interesting for you as you say.

You can add Mikrotik in your list is letonian brand is For business People.

Cisco and Aruba do it just have the time to rescue documentation.

Just a question why do you need this? Dev team don't believe us about our request? 😁

Best regard

Options

Voters 41

+ 37 Voters