How can I turn on WiFi isolation feature?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-13 08:05:38
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200904

Hi, 
I set up this WiFi AP in my office. But I can't figure out how to turn on WiFi isolation feature from admin page.

Looks like I can turn it on for guest clients, but I can't find any menu for non-guest client.

Currently all WiFi client's within same VLAN are visible, which is not good. So I need to turn this feature to isolate clients.

Thanks anyone for any advice!

s

Options
10 Reply
Re:How can I turn on WiFi isolation feature?
2021-05-13 13:55:09

@MasahiroCG 

Hey

What you are trying to accomplish is generally a switch control, not specifically an AP control.    However as you mentioned some APs do have the "Guest Mode" feature which will isolate clients

Just to clarify, you can enable "Guest Mode" on any SSID you wish, by enabling this you are not creating a guest network.. rather you are enabling Isolation of devices.  Its a bad naming choice by TP Link as it has nothing to do with Guests at all..

Feel free to tick this box on Guest or Non Guest SSIDs as you feel necessary, it wont have any effect on the operation of the SSID

Hope that clarifies this for you

Philbert

Options
2021-05-14 03:53:07

@Philbert 

Thanks so much for your help!
I tired enabling "guest mode" in non-guest WiFi. It separated communication between WiFi clients. That's what I wanted. But with a new problem. I have a network printer connected by Ethernet. That became inaccessible. I suppose guest mode feature separates communication not only in WiFi, but also all devices in same VLAN. I have a TP-LINK router in my home, and when I tested separation feature there, it didn't affect devices on Ethernet. 

So my questions is;
Is there any way to separate WiFI cleints, yet allowing access to network printer?

Thanks again for your advice in advance!

Options
2021-05-14 08:33:19

Dear @MasahiroCG,

MasahiroCG wrote
I tired enabling "guest mode" in non-guest WiFi. It separated communication between WiFi clients. That's what I wanted. But with a new problem. I have a network printer connected by Ethernet. That became inaccessible. I suppose guest mode feature separates communication not only in WiFi, but also all devices in same VLAN.

With Guest Network enabled, all the clients connecting to the SSID are blocked from reaching any private IP subnet.

To separate WiFi clients but allow access to the printer, you may configure EAP ACL to make it:

• Go to Profile->Group to create an IP group for the printer first
  • Add a Permit Rule to allow access from the desired SSID(source) to the preset IP group (destination)

Note: EAP ACL can only be configured on Controller, you can close the controller after it's set up.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-14 09:19:58

@Fae 

Thanks for your kind reply.
I just installed Amada Controller software, then clicked Network Security menu. Then I got following messages.

Gateway Required.

Connect and adopt a gateway to enable this feature.

Do I need to have TP-Link gateway?

Options
2021-05-14 10:31:24

Dear @MasahiroCG,

MasahiroCG wrote

I just installed Amada Controller software, then clicked Network Security menu. Then I got following messages.

Gateway Required.

Connect and adopt a gateway to enable this feature.

Do I need to have TP-Link gateway?

No need, please navigate to the EAP ACL tab under the Network Security menu.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-14 12:07:37

@Fae 

Sounds great! But I can't see the device in the list.
How can I run the wizard again? Or any other way to scan devices?

Options
2021-05-14 12:10:08

@MasahiroCG 

Just to jump in here

If you go to DEVICES you should see the AP in there and have the option to ADOPT it

The AP would need to be adopted by the controller to have this applied OK

Options
2021-05-17 09:49:49

@Philbert 

I just figured out why AP wasn't listed in device list. Actually windows defender firewall was blocking communication to the AP. After disabling defender firewall, it was listed there. Thanks so much!

Options
2021-05-24 09:32:20

@Philbert 

Hi, I've been trying to configure my test AP by Amada software controller, but without success. EAP660 HD is in production now. So I use EAP245 which I bought or testing purpose. When I try to adopt AP device from device list, I get disconnected, then newly configured AP won't be listed in SSID list. 

My procedure goes like this;

adopt -> adopting -> provisioning -> disconnected

How can I properly adapt the device and get the list of pre-

Philbert wrote

@MasahiroCG 

Just to jump in here

If you go to DEVICES you should see the AP in there and have the option to ADOPT it

configured SSID in settings?

Options
2021-05-24 09:32:21

@Philbert 

Hi, I've been trying to configure my test AP by Amada software controller, but without success. EAP660 HD is in production now. So I use EAP245 which I bought or testing purpose. When I try to adopt AP device from device list, I get disconnected, then newly configured AP won't be listed in SSID list. 

My procedure goes like this;

adopt -> adopting -> provisioning -> disconnected

How can I properly adapt the device and get the list of pre-

Philbert wrote

@MasahiroCG 

Just to jump in here

configured SSID in settings?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2822

Replies: 10